Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay

Home Forum Bike Forum Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 375 total)
  • Cheap Charge Plug 5 frames on Ebay
  • 2nd set of 27.5 wheels purchased,  and some 1.95 tyres to see if I can squeeze them in….

hollyboni

Keep us updated! I would really really like to run 27.5×48 GravelKing SKs if I switch to 650B. According to reviews they stretch out to around 49-50mm.

I’m ordering 700c 38mm and 43mm GKs next week. I really hope the 38s will fit in the back. 😀

Ok just fitted the rear. 1st off yes a 27.5×1.95 mtb tyre does fit……. Just

You need dead straight rims and tyres though – I bought the cheapest 1.95 pair of suitable tyres I could find at 25 the pair, just to experiment with. Some Kenda ‘dirt jump’ tyres from eBay .these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F121934537662

And although they fit, they have some serious wobble (wheel was straight) and buzz the driveline chainstay. I’ve corrected by tweaking the wheel to suit and there’s approx 2or3mm clearances either side.

Looks like I’ll try some other tyres as I specifically want tyres with more grip than dedicated gravel tyres.

Ill keep the Kendal as spares and get a pair of 1.9 specialized crossroads to try.

hollyboni

Could you please measure the width of the tyres with a caliper?

Will do in the morning .

They measure up at 45mm dead on… So equivalent of a 42c tyre?

https://ibb.co/nCAKx7

Hopefully the image will work. Turned out the 29r tube I’d stuffed in the rear tyre to try out the tyres was giving the bulge. Two 27.5 tubes later and they’re fitted!</span>

Rear only has about 2mm clearance either side though…. Just need some new 160/140 discs and I’m ready to try them.

hollyboni

I don’t get it. The Horizons fit so nicely on the picture jakd95 posted and they are around 47-48mm wide.

??? 🙁

These have bigger nobby bits on….. And could also be taller so further into the chainstay…..

It also depends on your rim width, which gives a different tyre profile.  So the same tyre on a different rim could give a different width.

hollyboni

Yeah I guess the knobs on the top are the problem. It was just so weird at first because these Kendas measure narrower than the Horizons.

Probably not going to go 650B then.

The 1.9 specialized crossroads has arrived, will fit and get pics later – but it certainly isn’t as tall as the Kendal so should be a better fit. Decided to just buy one specialized tyre for the rear and leave the slightly larger Kenda on the front.

Discs for the 650bs also arrived so I’ll have the first propper on/off road test tomorrow.

Remeasured the 1.95 Kendas. they are actually 50mm knob to knob….. The carcass is 45mm. Hense only a couple mm clearance.

The 1.9 specialized crossroads measure up at 45mm at the widest point. Much better fit.

Here’s a pic: https://ibb.co/gpRYZx

hollyboni

That’s not good news, i’m probably going to skip 650B. 🙁

Meanwhile I just went from winter mode to summer mode. Lost the fenders, and put on some bigger GravelKing SKs, tubeless for the first time. The front one is labeled 43C or 43-622, the back one is 40C 38-622. The fronts measure around 42mm, and the back one is around 39.5mm on my 20mm ID rims. Plenty of clearance at the front, at the back… The usual.

Forgot how good this thing is with some proper meat!

Also got a setback seatpost and a way too overpriced Salsa seatpost clamp instead of my “Gineyea” eBay special.

Right 2nd specialized crossroads has been ordered , the Kenda on the front was just a little too draggy on the road so I’ve compromised some off road grip – should be fine in the drier months though.

Just picked one of these up off eBay. The chap bought it new but never built it up so there’s not a mark on it 🙂 I’d like to get it up and running asap. First thing on the list is forks – anyone got anything suitable?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

This is a brilliant thread.  I’ve been using my Grinduro (SS Plug with TRP Hylex) over the winter for various things and it’ll now get used for evening jaunts and school runs with the kids.  Its been great.  I did think the Alu fork would be harsh but its not.

Talking of which who’s going to buy the Grinduro in the classifieds?  I would have thought it’d be flying off the shelf…

Mine is now on eBay..

See more info in the classifieds here.

Cheers.

Mowgli

As much as I’ve enjoyed mine, I’ll soon be putting my size Small up for sale. Currently fitted with Surly Straggler fork, dynamo wheelset, 1 x 9 speed and flat bars. Happy to split.

jakd95

Bit of an update on mine. Made the switch to drops, along with a some XT cranks, a pair of TRP Spyres, and then a slightly more exciting paint job from a rattlecan. Getting it prepped for the Torino-Nice Rally, just need to sort a light/usb charger to pair with the dynamo hub.

2018-07-06_06-59-37

The highrise stem makes me feel a bit ill but makes it a lot more comfortable for all day rides.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Talking of which who’s going to buy the Grinduro in the classifieds?  I would have thought it’d be flying off the shelf…

Tempted but too £ for me so far

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Well, make me an offer.   Assuming your going it could even be delivered to you at the end of the month. 🙂

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

24-12? not this year

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Can I ask some advice?

My Grinduro (Plug SS) isn’t selling, but what I want is a geared bike.  What do I need to do/can I change the bike to have gears, bearing in mind the EBB and dropouts as they are?

Thanks

curto80

Kryton, have pmd you

If anyone is interested in trying 650’s on there plug, mine are now for sale….. (blatant forum faux par).

ad in the forsale section or PM me….

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

How are folks getting on with 650b experiments?

as mentioned above, I didn’t get on with them – I found them significantly slower on the road (although this could be down to tyre choice) and not enough gains on a good 700c tyre off road to warrant them.

Ended up selling my set and invested the cash into a set of TRP Hylex’s, first ride on them today and they are so much better than cable discs.

dawg66

I have the retail version of this frame (2015 model) from Performance Bike in the US. I’m about to pull the trigger on some i23 WTB KOMs and some WTB Byways (47mm). I’ll update on how this goes.

jakd95

I’m getting on very well with the Horizons. Ride really well once up to speed, smooth and very comfy. Probably helped by being tubeless too. Mine are on 21mm internal Crests. Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend 650b given the slightly limited clearance with 700c. Not a fast road bike but perfect for long rides on gravel/rough lanes.

I’m off this weekend to ride the Torino-Nice Rally with it, where the extra cush of the wider tyres sounds like it’ll be really welcome.

My main issue with the bike is that the headtube could do with being a little longer for all day comfort (5/6 hrs+), I’ve now got a longer fork steerer and a huge stack of spacers.

My main issue with the bike is that the headtube could do with being a little longer for all day comfort (5/6 hrs+), I’ve now got a longer fork steerer and a huge stack of spacers.

What you need is some Specialized Hover bars. I have them on my Plug 1 as it’s got the versatility of a winter mile muncher, but the geometry of a track bike…

My Plug 1 (not a Plug 5, but as a Charge fanboi I’m jealous of not being included in this thread!)

dawg66

Over the weekend I installed some i23 WTB KOM rims and 47mm Byways to my OEM Charge Plug 5. I managed to get them set up tubeless without too much trouble with just a floor pump. Clearance at the chainstays is pretty tight, maybe 4 mm of clearance. The Byways run absolutely amazing so far, they roll just about as fast as the stock Kenda Kwick Tendrils. At 30 psi front, 35 back, I had a blast on some dirt mtb trails. Traction is a bit lacking on some of the dusty loose terrain, but for the most part I was really impressed how well the small nubs handled.

Charge Plug 5 with Byways

Byway Clearance

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Looks good dawg66, can you take a side on pic?

dawg66

Here you go!

Charge Plug 5 Byways Side View

Premier Icon YoKaiser
    Subscriber

Many thanks 👍

dawg66

And for another reference point for sizing, my frame is XS size.

Premier Icon drewd

It’s hard to tell from the picture, do you think there’s enough space for a full mudguard on the back? I am currently running 700c 35s and there’s not enough room, and I’ve been considering trying road plus.

The bike looks great by the way.

dawg66

Hard to say, I don’t have much experience with mudguards. Maybe I can rip off the ones from my wife’s bike and see if they fit. Her bike actually came with mudguards mounted to 47mm 650b Horizon tires so it’s a perfect option to test with.

dawg66

How is everyone liking the 1X setups? I have been looking into upgrading from the stock 11-28 cassette to an 11-32, but that would require going to a medium-cage derailleur. I figure if i have to upgrade the derailleur anyway maybe I should just go Rival1 instead and the only extra thing I need is the X-sync chainring. That way I can get a big 11-42 cassette for steeper dirt climbs.

I don’t have a dedicated road bike, so plan to still do road rides with this bike (Still have a 700c wheelset to throw on for that), but definitely no racing, just casual rides with friends in pretty hilly areas (Bay Area, California). I could see the occasional sportive event but again not really into competing, just in it for fun.

hollyboni

I love 1x, but IMO 1x starts at a 10-42 cassette, I wouldn’t go with anything that has a smaller range. Yes that means switching to XD, but that 10T does make a difference.

I’ve been riding Rival 1 on my Plug since last October. There are some things that I like and some things that I don’t like. I love the shape of the levers, love Doubletap, I love the very positive click of the shifter, despite all the bad rep I really like GXP, and i’ll never use a non clutched derailleur again. The crankset is nice, haven’t dropped a chain yet, and I did ride the bike on terrain where I would have needed an MTB plenty of times. (Although you are familiar with most of this since you’re on Rival 22)

Things I don’t like. The gear changes could be a little quicker, the hoods ripped at the gear lever after a couple of months, and the drivetrain runs a bit loud. What I really don’t like is that the drivetrain gets really, really loud after it sees some offroad miles. I’ve tried like 6-7 different lubes from Squirt wax lube to wet lube, nothing works. If I ride in dusty conditions offroad after a few miles the drivetrain just starts making a racket like I haven’t cleaned it in 5 years.

Overall I like the groupset, but it could be definitely improved. I’m waiting for drop bar Eagle. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 375 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.