Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cheap as chips bike bag…
  • gcaster
    Free Member

Anyone used one of these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=41796

Seems to have four good reviews on CRC and one crap one.

It doesn’t come with individual wheel bags, is this likely to be a problem for taking it on a plane?
    I’m not too fussed about the bag not having wheels as it’ll only be carried from car > checkin, baggage > transfer and transfer > hotel.

BoardinBob

Would you really put your bike in the cheapest bag you can find?

gcaster
    Free Member

Well, I’ll pad it with towels and clothes obviously. Surely it can’t take any more of a beating than a good bail?
    It’s more the wheels I’m worried about ‘cos I have DT Rev spokes which are pretty skinny.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mikey74
    Free Member

Buy the best one you can afford. I’ve seen bike bags thrown around, fall off trolleys, nearly run over by ground crew vehicles.

Parts of your bike will get subjected to forces that they aren’t designed to take.

To be honest, if you can’t afford a decent one, then get a bike box for free.

steveh

I’ve never dented a frame crashing but have had 2 done by baggage handlers. They’ll be a lot more rough in different ways than a crash will.
    If you have super light wheels you definitely want at least a well padded bag or maybe a box. That doesn’t seem to have much padding at all.

baldSpot
    Free Member

About to use mine for the first time next Friday. It is basically just a canvas bag but I have a cardboard bike box to cut up and put in.

I got it as it will be easier to handle than a cardboard box on it’s own.

crikey
    Free Member

I got a cardboard bike box from t’shop to go to spain, and I reckon it was better tretaed and protected than bike bagged bikes.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I bought a cheapo Ambrosio one for £40 7 or 8 years ago. Its been fine, touch wood, holes in it from wheel axles poking through, chainrings etc but never any damage to my bike bar slightly bent rotors cos I couldn’t be bothered to remove. So long as you pack it well with lots of cardboard and padding, then it should be fine. How will a more expensive fabric bag protect your bike better than a cheap fabric bag??? It won’t, or the differences will be marginal.

Don’t know, but is it big enough for the bike you want to travel with? Cheaper bags are sometimes smaller.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cheap as chips bike bag…’ is closed to new replies.