• This topic has 107 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by st.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?
  • Cheezpleez

What’s like a Canfield but without the bonkers price tag?

oxym0r0n

Nothing yet afaik

steve_b77
    Free Member
    TooTall
    Free Member

The Stache has almost identical geometry to at least one other Trek (I am informed), other than the 120mm front that is 1 deg less. So it is said.

Cheezpleez

Good spot Monkeysfeet. Not my size, though. Anyone got a Honzo and can vouch for its fun-ness?

What else?

mattjg
    Free Member

Everyone seems to love Solaris. Not hooligan enough for you? They have to go uphill too you know.

Where’s the point for you that ‘trail’ becomes ‘hooligan’? What do you want the Inbred doesn’t do?

A lot of this is in market positioning I think.

MrTall
    Free Member

I have a Honzo and its a great bike. A bargain at the reduced prices now. The 2013 has a bolt thru rear end if that’s important to you.

Started with a 120mm Reba but changed recently to a 130mm Revelation which has made a far bigger difference than I ever thought. If the trails ever dry up I’m looking forward to getting out on it more.

The Ragley Bigwig is due out soon and is cheaper than most of its competitors. Maybe worth a look?

Cheezpleez

Solaris is still £500, which I think is a lot.

I’m after something that wants to get its wheels in the air. I’m loving my Inbred but it’s more of a roller than a jumper, if that makes sense.

Cheezpleez

I’d like the playfulness of my 456 but with big wheels

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba HX2 frames will be back in stock with us very soon.

£350 for the frame only.

Chumba HX2 29er frame

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I can vouch for a Chumba frame, I had the 26er HX1 which was amazing. Built up into a cracking bike, the EBB means you can run them SS too.

mattjg
    Free Member

I suspect wheels in the air means short chain stays = on a 29er, tube trickery. Hard to do cheap.

Cheezpleez

Hmmm … Chumba. Interesting

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Genesis high latitude frame is £350

househusband

Is progressive bikes actually a proper business..? Seems to be a bit on/off – the latter for long periods of time.

There’s been several threads on them over the past year or so and I gave up trying to get in touch (email/phone) several months ago.

si-wilson
    Free Member

househusband, really? I always answer emails, and have been in business all this time. I stopped frequenting this forum as much though, had better things to do 🙂

Chumba availability has been patchy (sorted now) but i have always been around 🙂

Sorry if i missed you for whatever reason.

pigyn
    Free Member

Transition TransAM 29.. 120mm travel, 68 deg HA, 12×142 rear end, solid as a rock. Sometimes available cheap..

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1297990/

househusband

Err, yeah!

Do an advanced search on the word ‘progressive’ in the title on the bike forum over the past year and you’ll see the number of times folk have wondered whether you’re still going. (It doesn’t work trying to post the search result as a link.)

Cheezpleez

Genesis High Latitude has caught my eye before. It’s a definite contender. SS-ability of the Chumba is good though.

Thanks gbo but the Pinnacle and Voodoo seem a bit meh. Draped in low-end kit that I’d want to replace straight away

Anything else I should look at?

singlecrack
    Free Member

Canfield …there is no substitute ….save your penny’s

nicolaisam
    Free Member

2nd Ride on the Stache today,seems very playful,rolls well,seemed to like the nasty rocky and mussy tracks i took it on.

I have a Nicolai AC aswell,so the Stache is a 2nd bike,I like it,was great fun,and worked my legs as i had become used to full suspension.
    Picking lines and setting myself up soon came back..

jameso

The Pinnacle Ramin 3’s a better bike at a grand – bolted/taper forks. Dunno about ‘hooligan’ tho.. just a good trail/xc hardtail imo.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Stache has 15mm forks,142×12 rear,tapered headtube and iscg mount,reverb stealth routing and standard routing,Its sold as a Trail bike.

Cheezpleez

Thing is, my 26″ bikes all seem to urge me to ping them into the air over every little bump, rock or root. This is fun. My 29″ Inbred just doesn’t. I’m not that bothered about bolt-through this and tapered that, I just want a bike that will act like Tigger.

Clink

I just want a bike that will act like Tigger.

Honzo
    Nimble 9
    Yelli Screamy
    Chromag Rootdown
    2 Souls

etc.

tomaso
    Free Member

Genesis Mantle is at the cheaper end of things and looks a good balance between £ and :mrgreen:

jameso

Nicolaisam, meant vs the Ramin 1 at £500, not vs the Trek, dunno much about that tbh. cheezpleez, the Ramin’s a pretty ‘poppy’ bike for a 29er (esp if you space the fork out to 120mm) and if you want that in a 29er I’d look for a stiff fork, wheels, not too long a top tube / rear end, slacker etc. The most playful bikes will be the more extreme geometry bikes though, not the more readily available complete options. Depends what price you’re looking at – Pinnacle, Genesis are prob the closest around/at a grand, above that there’s more options, the honzo looks like a great deal at £1200. Sorry if that’s all stating the obvious )

Cheezpleez

Thanks, jameso, pretty much my thoughts.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Banshee Paradox – short rear end, very chuckable bike with up to 140mm travel up front.
    Genesis High Latitude is also nice but slightly heavier frame and only 100mm travel. Still rides nicely though!

fenboy

Singular Buzzard @ £400 looks good!

shinsplints

Ragley Bigwig under £400 (when they arrive in a couple of weeks 👿

Cheezpleez

Had a proper go on a Yelli Screamy today and I now believe the hype. I’ve never ridden a bike that was so eager to get all sideways and unnecessary. F.U.N.

It’s convinced me that I’m after something with similar geometry. The Buzzard looks favourite at the moment but it’s looking likely to be a weighty old frame like the Honzo and I’d like to end up with something that’s not too much of a porker.

The Genesis High Latitude is also still in the running, although I’m guessing the frame is still chunky. Anyone know frame weight and if they’re warrantied to run a 120mm fork?

singlecrack
    Free Member

A second hand Canfield Yelli

mattjg
    Free Member

@cheez:

buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli buy singlecrack’s yelli

mattjg
    Free Member

Singlecrack’s Yelli Screamy, it’s only moderately bonkers.

mattjg
    Free Member

it’s probably very similar to this one

Clobber
    Free Member

it’s fairly ugly though…

mattjg
    Free Member

I quite like it actually, it’s properly black too. I concede a good bike photo I take don’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.