• This topic has 107 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by st.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?
  • Cheezpleez

Ha! I’ll need to sell some stuff before I can buy anything and I’m in no rush (I keep telling myself, sternly).

I don’t agree that the Yelli’s ugly. And anyway WGAF when it rides like it does

singlecrack
    Free Member

Oh yeah and my Yelli is not for sale …

Clink

Oh yeah and my Yelli is not for sale …

At the moment….. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlecrack
    Free Member

It’s just too good to sell

mattjg
    Free Member

Have you SS’d it? (What did you use for tensioning?)

singlecrack
    Free Member

Ha ‘bike frames’. Clink can’t keep em ….I can’t let em go ….

Gotama
    Free Member

Matt: you can use the dmr ‘simple tension seeker’ tensioner on the yelli. Works really well and it tucks up nicely behind the stay so it looks really neat. Only change you need to make is the roller as the one supplied is too narrow to fit a singlespeed chain so I just swapped with an old wider on one roller i had lying around. I used it on mine during winter and it was great in the filth.

mattjg
    Free Member

There’s a bronze Trek Stache in the window of H4TH, it’s a beautiful looking bike. IMO Trek have nailed it there as a ‘great fun for most people most of the time’ hardtail.

But I think, @cheez, for outright playfulness it’s still the Yelli for you.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Saracen kili trail 29er’s worth a look?

good topic. wouldn’t mind buying one myself as an alternative to the 71/73. angled 29er’s in my possession.

I guess these long forked bikes would be as capable as most FS bikes in the alps?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think clink’s had all of those bikes.

Clink

I think clink’s had all of those bikes.

At least I can make my mind up which wheel size to go for! 😉

andycs

That Trek Stache 8 is an absolute bargain. Got a demo on one on Friday.

mattjg
    Free Member

That Yelli Screamy corners on tuppence, a flick of the hips, a little pressure on the bars, then some kind of time compression effect happens and I’m around the corner without any time passing.

Problem is I’m starting to learn the bike and am going straighter for longer, leaving the cornering until the last moment.

This could end badly.

Cheezpleez

Matt, you’re right. Get out now while there’s still time 😉

Seriously, though, I’ve never ridden a bike that was so eager to get sideways.

Fun fun fun funfunFunFUnFUN -> hospital 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

That Trek Stache 8 is an absolute bargain. Got a demo on one on Friday.

The 7 is pertier though, if I was buying that’d be a real dilemma. Luckily I’m not.

Let us know what you think of it.

st

I’m about a month into riding my Stache 7 and it’s ace, lots of fun and feels fast too, not as light as I might have hoped but I guess this is down to being my first 29er but it feels plenty quick.

Cheezpleez

Seems there are lots of ‘fast’ 29ers about. i’m sure they’re great but I want something that’s fun first and fast second. I need to try a Stache and FF29 but my gut tells me that – for me – they’re likely to be no competition for the Yelli. Buzzard and Honzo are also on the list to try but I’m worried about the weight. After all, most of my mates are buying those ‘fast’ bikes.

Come on On-One, where’s the cheap carbon Yelli-a-like I’m after?

wobbem
    Free Member

Any 29er with chain stays longer and HA steeper than the Yelli is a fail.

wobbem
    Free Member

In that “type” of bike anyways 😉

Cheezpleez

Yup, I reckon you’re right

mattjg
    Free Member

With a couple of rides under my belt, I do too. I keep thinking “what are all the other guys (brands) thinking?”.

On paper the Yelli looks a bit too extreme IMO, which is why it took a small company to produce it. But in reality, it’s not extreme, it’s just fun, and pretty easy to ride too.

Except for the race heads, where weight and pace is the absolute priority, or marathin riders perhaps, I think it would suit anyone who wants to have fun on a bike. Other geometries are starting to feel redundant.

andycs

On second thoughts maybe I should buy a Yelli……….

mattjg
    Free Member

Try ’em both if you can, I’ve not ridden a Stache.

andycs

Trouble is I can’t build a Yelli for £1800. Well, not with a spec like the Stache.

mattjg
    Free Member

That’s not really the point tho is it.

Cheezpleez

@ andycs I reckon you could build a Yelli with a pretty damn good spec for close to that with a little clever shopping

andycs

Have been thinking about it most of the afternoon. Going to sit at the laptop and see what I can come up with.

mattjg
    Free Member

yeah me too

even at rrp
    frame 850
    forks 300
    wheels 300
    tyres 50
    headset 50

= £1550

strip the rest off your 26

no need for a front mech IMO

cpuld be done a lot cheaper with judicious buying

2nd hand yelli frames seem to go in the 500-600 range

mattjg
    Free Member

you’ll be needing a dropper of course, if budget is tight run it SS and with broomsticks for the forks, but you’ll be needing a dropper.

st

Don’t take my comments out of context, when I say fast I don’t mean head down arse up race posture. For me it’s partly down to moving from a full sus (Heckler) to the Stache so I’m enjoying all the good things about riding on a hardtail over a full suspension bike.

The Stache feels great on Singletrack, leaves the ground as much as I might want it to and feels good when descending encouraging me to go a bit faster still.

No doubt some of the more niche brands have more ‘hardcore” options but its the same as comparing any mainstream brand bikes with the smaller companies no matter what wheel size or suspension configuration you might choose.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sure, st, I guessed you meant ‘fast like a 29er hardtail’. They’re brill aren’t they.

Cheezpleez

At the risk of reopening the dreary 26 v 29 debate, my admittedly fairly limited experience of 29ers so far suggests that ‘normal’ length chainstays = very stable and fast but not as playful as the 26in bikes I’m more used to riding. The Yelli on the other hand is probably the most playful mtb I’ve ever ridden. I’m no geometry expert but I suspect the next bike I buy will be a Yelli or something with similar geometry. That said, I’d love a go on a Stache.

mattjg
    Free Member

Yelli Screamy wheelbase (medium – 100mm) 1084mm, HA 68 degrees with a 120mm fork
    Trek Stache wheelbase (17.5 – 120mm) 1128mm, HA 68.3 degrees with a 120mm fork

so that’s only 44mm difference, and the YS wheelbase would be a tad longer with a 120mm fork

can it really make that much difference to the ride?

I reckon the top of the Stache headtube would come out about 15mm lower, as the HT is a tad shorter and it looks to have an integrated lower headset cup, which I think would save a few mm too.

tomat0
    Free Member

Kona Taro? Like a Honzo but aluminium and cheaper. Frame’s presumably a tad lighter too, the Honzo is a bit of a flabby thing.

andycs

Well, no Stache demo today, bike not returned to shop yet. Have been giving serious thought to building a Yelli. Would like to get a ride on one but Charlie the Bikemonger is a long way from West Yorks. Does anyone know anywhere that might have one?

mattjg
    Free Member

I don’t think they’re easy to find Andy, not many about. According to the Yelli site, CTBM is the ‘importer’, you can buy direct too tho.

Best give Charlie a ring I’d think, I dno if he has stock or demos.

Mine’s in Surrey if you should happen to be down this way any time soon. Size medium.

Gotama
    Free Member

Andy – Might be worth having a word with Stif if you’re up that way. They bring Banshee bikes in these days and might be able to get hold of a Paradox which has similar geometry to the Yelli I believe….albeit not quite as good 😉

wobbem
    Free Member

Yelli Screamy wheelbase (medium – 100mm) 1084mm, HA 68 degrees with a 120mm fork
    Trek Stache wheelbase (17.5 – 120mm) 1128mm, HA 68.3 degrees with a 120mm fork

so that’s only 44mm difference, and the YS wheelbase would be a tad longer with a 120mm fork

can it really make that much difference to the ride?
    The Yelli is 2cm shorter in chainstay length, this gives the playfulness. Short chainstays on a 29er is the key, which is why the new Specialized Enduro 29 will be a big hit.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Might be worth having a word with Stif if you’re up that way. They bring Banshee bikes in these days

No they don’t.Ison import banshee.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 29er hooligan hardtail. Does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.