Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Charge Spoon, what are they like?
  • skiprat
    Free Member

Looking into getting a new saddle and for the money, the Charge Spoon looks like a steel.

Whos got one, what are they like and whats the quaility like??

Cheers

Chris

parkedtiger
    Free Member

Great for the money – very tough – quite a hard saddle but I've had no comfort issues at all.

akira

Running three at the moment, two normal and one Ti one, for the money I can't fault them. Same shape/saddle as a few others on the market but better vfm.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hugh_b
    Free Member

very pleased with mine! I've got the cheap one with standard rails but find it very comfy, probably because of the shape. I've read the ti railed version is a little comfier as the rails have a bit more flex.

poppa
    Free Member

Good, light, firm and cheap. If you like a sofa they're not for you.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

A tiny, tiny bit too hard for me, but cheap. 5 minutes with a 9mm drill added enough flex for me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pretty good although the stitching wears out – but they dont fall apart because of this.

spacehopper

really didnt get on with mine.. found it uncomfy and too wide at the back..

Hohum
    Free Member

I switched to one a couple of weeks ago.

At first I did not like it very much, but now I have got used to it everything is fine.

skiprat
    Free Member

Cheers people, for the money, i think its worth the risk. I prefer my saddles to be firm so i'll just see how it goes.

Ta

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I got one recently, QC was a bit lacking underneath (fabric only just held in by staples), but otherwise it's ok.
    Winstanleys were cheapest a few weeks ago.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

they do feel abit spartan at first but i have found mine ok for lngre rides, better made and more comfy than the fizik gobi it replaced and no numb gentleman's bits

rootes1

i have one on each of my bikes – good value and seem durable

rootes1

oops double post

balfa
    Free Member

Ignore the weights they quote. Total rubbish. You can add close on 100g for the actual weight of my cromo version.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To flat and plank like for me. Not bad really, but I prefer an SDG Bel Air, which can be had for the same price or a bit less.

mieszko
    Free Member

I found it similarly comfortable as the Bel Air on my other bike, but it has less padding, but more flex in the shell, works really well, good support for the bum but the nose isn't too wide, long enough to be able to move about a bit when climbing. It is a very good saddle for the price but Merlin on eBay was selling Ti Bel Airs for not much more.

TheTompy
    Free Member

Got a Spoon on my tourer and thinking of getting one for my Commencal to replace the Specialized Phenom which I'm struggling with, which is weird because I love the (very similar to the Phenom) Toupe that's on my road bike.

rOcKeTdOg

I have 4, very comfy, less than £20 too, if they suit your backside they are excellent

pedalhead
    Free Member

Any WTB lovers who also get along with Spoon?

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Very comfortable and £35 for the Ti version.

postierich
    Free Member

Felt very uncomfortable after the exsposure night ride 40k followed by the 70k day ride, ass ok now but I have been using a Brookes for a while and they are lush.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

i get on alright with mine, one on the dh bike, one on the xc, one on the (charge) road singlespeed and one on the (charge) hardtail…

ash.addy
    Free Member

Bought 2 for my ss and spicy love them to bits and when you only pay £17.50 who can complain.

Slogo
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    To flat and plank like for me. Not bad really, but I prefer an SDG Bel Air, which can be had for the same price or a bit less.

+1 great saddle and there so many different colour pattern options

sockpuppet

Any WTB lovers who also get along with Spoon?

i went from my old favourite rocket V to a spoon with no issues. i like the knife too

Northwind

Amazing for the money… Oh, also the Gusset R is the exact same saddle if you want different colours or styles, comes in awe-inspiring fake fur and tartan. But, I do think they have to fit you pretty well, they're well sized but if you're the wrong shape they don't have enough padding or flex to compensate.

I found them a wee bit too big at the back so I replaced them with Charge Knives, which are pretty much the same only smaller, skinnier and lighter. Another very good saddle but I think even more fit dependant. All day comfortable for me though.

Main thing about the Spoon is they cost very little, and they resell for almost as much, so it's not a gamble as it can be with some saddles, you'll get most of your money back even if you don't like it.

Re: WTB – I went from a Pure V to a Spoon and whilst I loved the WTB, I find the Spoon even better. You just don't really notice it's there.

mrelectric

Its not as soft as WTB but it seems a better shape for me, and lighter (though slighty more than spec). Stitching fuzzes up to look at but it still solid. Deffo recommended.

.duncan
    Free Member

+1 for the spoon here.

robhughes
    Free Member

anyone want to buy a brand new white one then..?

robhughes – Member
    anyone want to buy a brand new white one then..?

Ha, no – a white saddle on an MTB? You've got to be kidding, surely? 😉

Northwind

Charge saddles work better in white IMO, reason being the fabric they use is basically white anyway, so when they wear/scratch/get mashed off a trail the white peeks through. On my black Knife, it actually looks kind of cool, in a distressed sort of a way but on the older white one, you can barely tell how hammered it is :mrgreen:

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Charge Spoon, what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.