Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Chantries, Guildford. Any singletrack?
  • martinwilly
    Free Member

Anyone ride round here and know of singletrack on Chantries?

I often ride out from Guildford station, up onto Pewley Down, down the Pewley Way and up onto Chantries, before heading up over St Martha and across Black Heath to Peaslake.

On the way back in, it seems such a shame to climb up to Pewley Down and then lose all that height back to the station on the road.

I'm can see it's possible to leave the Pilgrims Way and ride along the top of Chantries before dropping back down to the Pilgrims way near Guildford. Is this any fun? Is there any singletrack through here?

I'd be very grateful of any pointers. Of course I can go and look for myself but am taking a group out this Saturday and won't have a chance to look before I go.

Cheers

Martin

allthepies
    Free Member

Haven't done that for some time, there were some tracks in there but cheeky only ones I thought.

martinwilly
    Free Member

ok, thanks pies, that's kind of as I thought. Reckon I'll just free-style it. Looks from the OS like it's hard to go wrong.

Martin

heihei

One of my night-ride loops takes in the Chantries before heading over St Martha's and then dropping down the bridelway S then over to Blackheath. I therefore climb up through the Chantries and often "cut in" to the woods on the singletrack to make things more interesting. A month back I had the same idea as you that it should be good to ride down the Chantries so we reversed the ride and was very disappointed. Maybe it was just the trails we took, but failed to get any decent flow so think I'll stick to climbing the Chantries and enjoy hammering down the other side of St Marthas!!

NigE5
    Free Member

There are some cheeky trails but one spat me by the wardens house near the CP at pilgrims way.
    There is a nice trail along the front of the hill running west starting by the camp site.

ybot
    Free Member

There is a cracking trail that goes through there and comes out near the road at Warwicks bench. From there go down the road accross Shalford park, over the River Wey then follow the tow path back into the middle of town coming out very near the station.

Noworries
    Free Member

There are some nice sneaky ones, but watch out for the parks rangers. There are lots of complaints from horsey types about bikers, so I try to avoid areas where they might go.

allthepies
    Free Member

Night riding is your friend 8)

skaifan
    Free Member

there is a long singletrack line in the chantries thats best ridden on the return leg to guildford. its broken up into 3 stages, and doesnt flow particularly well but is good fun enough if pressed for time. I have ridden these trails on many occasions without confrontation, but i almost always ride on my own, in the early evenings and at night, so rarely see a soul in there.

skaifan
    Free Member

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chantries, Guildford. Any singletrack?’ is closed to new replies.