Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Chain slap prevention. Your preferred method?
  • nickc

Lizard skin? inner tube? roadie bar tape?

Needs to be neat remember? No ugly things on the bike…

letmetalktomark

SRAM rear mech?

Have had none in three years with my XO 8)

Failing that if the chainstay isn't already marked heli tape looks neat.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

easy peasy

MTFU and dont use your granny

HTH

🙂

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm – Don't think a SRAM has anything to do with chain slap – more to do with your frame 🙂 Or doing bouncy stuff in a small sprocket or small chainring 🙂

I use Hose pipe and cable ties or a glued cut inner tube if I am felling tight or a neoprine one if not 😉

ddmonkey

The fluffy side of self adhesive velro strip, works really well esp on the swingarm of FS's e.g Orange 5, makes them really quiet. Sticks like you know what on a blanket as well..

dickie
    Free Member

Roady bar Tape or Turner DW Frame for no chain slap.

kevonakona
    Free Member

Singlespeed

glenp
    Free Member

Set your chain up no longer than it needs to be – if you never cross-chain you don't need big ring/biggest rear cog combination to be available.

Plus as you start to accelerate and go downhill look for the earliest opportunity to get in the big ring – after you get mid-way through the rear cogs, or maybe on to gear 4 at the back, make your next shift to the big ring.

Plus ride smooth and don't slam the bike about.

Oh, and a neoprene protector just in case.

tron
    Free Member

Inner tube and zip ties. One of my friends had a section of an old tyre zip tied to his chainstay for even more extremity.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I use a neoprene jobby as it looks nice, but the chain and rear mech still make a noise. I tend to think though that if my bikes not rattling I'm clearly not going fast enough!

EdwardH

Black duck tape on my red bike, silver duck tape on my silver bike, works a treat.

Moe
    avalanche
    Free Member

Fluffy side of the sticky velcro really works. looks good too and you only need to put it where you need it

IHN

Piece of inner tube about 1.5" wide, wrapped tightly around like bar tape. Do it right and it looks neat, you can get triple thickness, it holds itself in place at the crank end and just hold it in place with some insulation tape at the dropout end.

pondering_panda
    Free Member

+1 for inner tube and zip-ties.

yunki
    Free Member

+2

Bez

22/36 up front, 11-25 up back, short cage road mech.

DickBarton

Bigger gear and keep pedalling…

duncan

Fluffy velcro on the Five's swingarm, inner tube on the Kaffenback. The inner tube looks very neat I think, you take a strip of it and apply it like handlebar tape, pulled nice and tight so there are no wrinkles. You have to cut each end of the strip at an angle and stick down with insulation tape.

Depends if you want to cut noise or paint damage. If it's just the latter, the inner tube method is overkill and you may as well just use tape.

DickBarton

No ugly things on the bike…I'd best stop riding mine!

tinsy
    Free Member

The Specialized neoprene chainstay protectors are th best money can buy, the newer moulded ones are not as good you need the 5mm neoprene ones.

simonm
    Free Member

Ride slower.

HTTP404
    Free Member

a tighter chain.

backhander
    Free Member

The raceface cordura protectors are the bestest ones ever!
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5358
    They used to be the Roach ones, but were bought out by RF.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Chain slap prevention. Your preferred method?’ is closed to new replies.