Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • celebrity death news.
  • grynch
    Free Member

naw, she wasn't a celebrity, she was just Auntie Doris
    94 years old
    survived the London Blitz
    but died alone in a Cornish care home 5.am this morning

( mrs. and I couldn't make it in time )

*sniff*

hora
    Free Member

I was reading the Time Obituary recently and the 'Worlds strongest man' died at 104. He could still bend coins with his teeth etc. How he died? He was run over by a van crossing the road after going to collect his daily paper 😯

rOcKeTdOg

94 is a good innings though, my great Aunt was 102 when she passed away, day before she had travelled 10 miles into town on the bus on her own,which she did quite often. she died the next day sitting in the chair watching tv, "pop" one quick stroke and out, way to go Auntie!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry to hear that, Grynch, thoughts and prayers with you and yours.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks… we had thought she was a goner just before Christmas so I guess ( for us ) this was a bonus.

and for her… well… bless her… she just got too tired.

takisawa2

If I get to 94 I'll be well chuffed.
    RIP Auntie Doris.

willard

I know how you feel. I got a call several years ago that my grandad had died during the night.

He'd survived PoW camps and two years on the run in Italy during the war, but got beaten by cancer. I never really got to say goodbye to him and still miss him.

theotherjonv

Sorry to hear of the loss. She sounds like a proper old lady Doris, bet she was lovely.

My grandad died in the early hours of my 17th birthday. He too had dropped into Italy with the engineers and cleared upwards. He had lots of stories but the one he'd never talk about was the day a german plane bombed the school at Petworth killing 28 boys and 2 staff. He was stationed with the Canadians nearby and helped in the rescue, but from the little he told it was digging out bodies of schoolboys out from the rubble.

Cancer beat him too. He had his family around him when he went and his last thoughts were that he'd ruined my birthday (17 = driving = freedom, etc.) and I still can't muster the conviction to get that excited about my birthday even now. I go through the motions, especially as the kids want a party and the lot but i still miss him every year on 13/5.

RIP FJV and Auntie Doris and all like you.

grynch
    Free Member

thanks.. and Auntie Doris was actually my wifes aunt..well.. sort of…she had been informally adopted into my mrs.G's grandparents family shortly after W.W.I.. not sure what happened with her own family

as a curious yank I always enjoyed talking to auntie doris about "the war years" and most times she would just say " oh we got on as best we could dear" then one day she told me about being thrown into a muddy ditch by a bomb blast and joining her (adopted ) granddad in the home guard and looking for bodies in the rubble.

the old dear left me speechless

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I read this with much confusion…

On the one hand I'm sad to hear of your loss,

On the other…

I though this was going to be Katie 'Skank' Price related news, so feel rather dissapointed.

zokes
    Free Member

as a curious yank I always enjoyed talking to auntie doris about "the war years" and most times she would just say " oh we got on as best we could dear" then one day she told me about being thrown into a muddy ditch by a bomb blast and joining her (adopted ) granddad in the home guard and looking for bodies in the rubble.

My late grandad was the same. Despite the constant badgering of a curious teenager he only ever once spoke about his war stories. I never ever asked again after that… I have a huge amount of respect for the generation who suffered that glorious era of recent European history.

grynch
    Free Member

southern yeti, sorry… but people are always posting about such and such a celebrity death only to have some counter with "why are we talking about such and such, when my father/mother/cousin/aunt passed away and got no notice.

so.. this is for my much loved and never a celebrity aunt

grynch
    Free Member

and.. since I am american I say that like "ant" 😯 🙁 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No worries, if you're American you are spared the embarrassment of having Katie Price as your compatriot.

Although she is over in your fair land according to the news.

grynch
    Free Member

… just another reason I'm glad I moved.

molgrips
    Free Member

I also say 'ant' for 'aunt'. But then I am not southern.

I didn't get many war stories. Excpet my Nan had a funny dent in her arm which was apparently caused by shrapnel. My Grandad had a desk job in the RAF, survived the war and then died of lung cancer when my Mum was 12. I always knew that but never really realised how bad that would have been til I re-thought about it as an adult.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘celebrity death news.’ is closed to new replies.