Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Castrating your dog
  • darrell
    Free Member

My missus has just booked our 7 month old border terrier in for the operation at our Vets.

being a man i have very mixed feelings and feel sorry for the little guy.

GrahamS

hora
    Free Member

Our Westie was very dominating (and strong) from a young age. When he was 6months old he attacked the sister in laws full grown boxer. The Boxer put him in his place but our dog attacked again- drew blood and bit my sister in law on the arm when she tried protecting the bulldog. It was a no-brainer, the Vet said deballing bingo may help with testosterone etc. So I had him sorted pronto. Now he initiates a fight then legs it fast. It worked. I have no doubts. However if it was only to stop him humping furniture I wouldnt do it fullstop. We had to.

enfht
    Free Member

Skip the Vets bills, all you need is two bricks, just watch your thumbs.

willard

I’m not a big fan of dogs having their cojones removed that early on. Thining about it, the poor little sod is barely 4 in “human” years and if you did the same thing to a kid, he’d never develop properly.

_If_ (and it’s a really strong “if”) my ESS Ted needs it doing, it will not be until he is 3 or so years old. However, since he has never attacked anything in his life and it’s not in his or his breed’s nature to, I do not think that’s going to be an issue.

I’ve heard stories of other male dogs trying it on with castrated dogs by the way. Apparently it’s quite confusing being a euneuch: not quite male, but not female either.

BoardinBob

We got our dog done last year and I had mixed feelings but it calmed him right down so it was the right move.

fbk
    Free Member

No question – if you’re not looking to breed from a dog, I’d always recommend getting them done…..

Excuse me while I take cover but having seen so many avoidable (potentially fatal) problems in entire dogs/bitches I have pretty strong views!!

hora
    Free Member

Saying that our dog still carries a fair few scars in his face/nose from cats!

fbk
    Free Member

And Willard – that’s a bit of a controversial view. By the time you wait to see if the aggressive behaviour gets worse, it’s often become a “learned” behavioural trait and castration will have much less effect.

Fair enough if you’ve never had problems with your dog but there are other reasons (see above)

samuri
    Free Member

Not a dog but our rabbit calmed down a lot after he’d had the snip. Before that he would bite and shag *everything* he could get his paws on. If a plastic bag blew across the garden he’d have it. He’d go for the wife’s leg, the puppy, cats, clothes hanging on the washing line. And he isn’t a gentle lover, let me tell you.

Now it’s just cats.

enfht
    Free Member

I always kick castrated dogs in the head, otherwise I’d go for the balls instead

fbk
    Free Member

samuri – I love that! 🙂

Nice to know it worked too – I always wonder with rabbits.

Lucas
    Free Member

Are you going to let him have a good shag when he wants one? If not get ’em lopped off, otherwise he’s got all the hormones raging round inside making him want to shag and then he’ll just get told off/stopped whenever he gets the chance.

Vets recommend it both for behavioural and health reasons. It also means you can walk in areas where there are other dogs without worrying about yours chasing down the bitches or getting into fights with other dogs.

We had ours done when he was about 8 months, he was upset for the rest of the day it was done and then back to normal the very next day. I regularly meet loads of different dogs and bitches on walks, don’t need to worry about the ladies (including his sister who my brother owns) and it means he’s much more likely not to get distracted and run off (they can smell a bitch in heat from several miles). I can also watch the people with ‘complete’ dogs get stressed and worried about every other dog they meet – it really does look like a hassle especially if you have one who is a bit dominant.

GrahamS
    commierider
    Free Member

I’m with fbk, no question about it, just had our ESS done at 9 months

theflatboy
    Free Member

save some cash – do it yourself with your teeth.

rockyb23
    Free Member

advocate here, it’s less humane to leave the dog build up a load of pent-up frustrations and aggressions due to sexual and hormonal energy that will never have an outlet and will in the end leave it more difficult for him to find a balanced and chilled-out state of mind ( – copyright Cesar – )

We had our terrier cross done and it didn’t change his cheeky, sparky, bag-of-energy character one jot. Far more kind to him and his mental health (not to mention ours, but that’s a welcome side-effect rather than a primary motivation), as well as to any unwanted pups he might sire on his adventures who would likely end up stiff on a vet’s table in a pound somewhere.

Sometimes you have to be ‘cruel’ to be kind.

IHN

Mine’s been done, and the only dogs he goes for are uncastrated ones, especially if they’re a ‘butch’ breed – boxer, staffie etc. He’s a rescue/ex-street dog, he’s quite little so must have got picked on a bit by bigger dogs so I think it’s a learned pre-emptive strike.

conkerman
    Free Member

I’d brush my teeth before doing it. 🙂

Good to moderate the worst oh the hormonal behaviour.

2hottie
    Free Member

Darell, we are thinking of getting our 7month old border done as well. He is a very lively pup however we have some concerns that the little bugger might run off one day to have some fun.. (it happened with a friends dog) however BT’s according to the missues are prone to nut cancer so removing them is what we will do. I personally feel bad for the little chap as I wouldn’t like the same to happen to me!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

being a man i have very mixed feelings and feel sorry for the little guy.

Don’t get it, it’s a dog – he wont know any different. I’m a man, but im not at all squeamish about getting pets neutered?

hora
    Free Member

Funnily my missus was really funny about him being done- for me I didnt care either way before he went ballistic.

MrNutt
    Free Member

cable tie?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Castrating your dog’ is closed to new replies.