Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cardiff road riding
  • tommo
    Free Member

Looking to start road riding but hate going on roads with traffic…

Can anyone recommend a good route for a 2/3 hour (unfit) or so spin from Cardiff (north) with a minimum of traffic?

Thanks.

SaxonRider

I had, at one point, found an excellent site that mapped Cardiff with the best cycle routes. I will try to find it again and post here. IIRC, it was posted by something like the Cardiff Cycle Network or some such charity…

SaxonRider

Take a look here, and in the top right of the page, you will find links to PDF maps. I think that it was these I was remembering.

If so, they are quite good. Indeed, I based my commute on a route from one of these maps, and I hardly have to deal with amy traffic.

Thank goodness. 😐

SaxonRider
    tommo
    Free Member

Cheers for those, I’m familiar with those routes…I was thinking more of a road route though. I’m considering getting a proper road bike but just wanted to scope a sample route first. If I have to go cheek-by-jowl with artics down the A470 it aint for me!

Thanks…

crazy-legs

Best bet is to head out with one of the clubs – Cardiff 100 Milers, Cardiff JIF and Cardiff Ajax all have regular road rides. When I was there they all seemed to leave from the Maindy Cycle Stadium and swimming pool.

Loads of nice quiet roads out into the Vale of Glamorgan round Cowbridge way. I had a couple of nice hlly routes out to Caerphily as well although I’d be hard pushed to describe them now, it’s been years since I lived there.

mooman
    Free Member

Cardiff Ajax would prob be your best bet to start with. The JIF and 100Milers tend to be the fitter guys.
    Ajax do an easy 20-30miler on a Saturday morning from Rhiwbina libruary .. this would be your best bet to start with.
    They also do a Sunday group ride too. They normally have 3 groups going out .. the fast guys .. the slow guys .. and the really slow group 😆
    There are lots of quiet lanes up around Lisvane etc. But they will have nice little climbs in them too, so prob not ideal to begin with.

rickon
    Free Member

Where abouts in Cardiff are you starting from? – drop me an email if you like and i’ll let you know some of the routes I know.

matt23
    Free Member

Hi,

I regularly do the Saturday ride with JIF guys it’s about 75 to 100Km per ride but it’s an easy ride. Not much traffic either and usually about 10-20 riders a sat morning.

calvjones
    Free Member

if its fitness you’re after, you could just stick to the Taff Trail and avoid the road altogether? I commute from Ponty and its 100% tarmac (although you’ll need decent tyres and ‘guards)

Otherwise, just go north via Taffs Well/Trefforest Ind Estate – most traffic is on the 470 so outside of rush hour, it’s quiet – and along the new bypass cycleroute to Llantristant, back via Groesfaen/Fairwater.

Not scenic tho, scenic = hills!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cardiff road riding’ is closed to new replies.