Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Carbon steerers on cross forks
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Any issues if used beyond the realms of racing? Not proper mtb trails but actual offroad riding

shaxi
    Free Member

Not proper mtb trails but actual offroad riding

that is enough ! 8)

aP
    Free Member

No.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

Shaxi, don’t follow what you mean?

Macavity
    Free Member

Plastic with string in it(aka CFRP):

“Brittle behaviour is an unavoidable feature of the CFRP. It is necessary that the polymer matrix be glassy; otherwise, the flexing of the tubing during use would dissipate energy. That is, the bicycle would have a “spongy” feel to a rider. Because the polymer matrix is not viscoelastic, it cannot act as a microcrack arrestor when the fibres start to break. The result is that the CFRP used for bicycle tubing is inherently brittle (as opposed to fishing rods or vaulting poles, which are intended to be flexible). Because of this behaviour, it can be risky to make a component like the front fork of a bicycle out of CFRP. Front forks can receive large, sudden loads, and a brittle failure here would obviously threaten rider safety.”
    Introduction to Engineering Materials: The Bicycle and the Walkman.
    C.J.McMahon and C.D.Graham

fontmoss
    Free Member

If practice always followed theory the world would be a different place

antigee

following from kinesis FAQ

How many ‘Stack Washers’ can I use on a carbon steerer?: We recommend 40mm maximum. Any more than this can cause undue leverage and stress on the steerer and will invalidate fork warranty.

so i guess they feel are some issues

teasel
    Free Member

When I first cut mine I failed to read that part in the ‘instructions’ and the consequent movement when I grabbed the bars and pulled them around was like a ball joint. Took 20mm off and they’re fine – slammed for over three years now without any breakages.

ChrisF
    Free Member

Ride my cx round the Peak with a carbon fork + steerer and did the 3Peaks CX this year. OK so far (touches wood). I think the fact that you are on a cross bike limits how hard you’ll hit the rocky stuff to some extent (does for me anyway).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting quote MacAvity.

Have you thought about the thousands of all-carbon forks in use at the moment?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Carbon steerers on cross forks’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts