Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)
  • Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?
  • higgo
    Free Member

How are the carbon ones fairing? No probs so far?

Got mine Monday.
    Built yesterday
    Local ride today, nothing much but I did do four sets of steps just for the hell of it.
    No catastrophic failures yet.

What were you expecting?

higgo
    Free Member

It's going for a spin round Hayfield tomorrow so I'll be able to give a more considered opinion then.

I like it a lot.
    It really is like riding the steel one but betterer both up and down. Climbing, it's really just a weight thing. It's lighter so it's easier to ride up hill and pop the front over stuff on the trail. Downhill it sort of gives you the choice of dealing with trail objects (rocks, roots, etc) or playing with them.

br
    Free Member

Climbing, it's really just a weight thing. It's lighter so it's easier to ride up hill and pop the front over stuff on the trail.

We've dealt with this before on STW, weight (or lack of) makes no difference at all. 😉

higgo
    Free Member

OK – must've been imagining it.
    As long as I keep imagining it, I'm happy.

clive
    Free Member

Climbing, it's really just a weight thing. It's lighter so it's easier to ride up hill and pop the front over stuff on the trail.

We've dealt with this before on STW, weight (or lack of) makes no difference at all.

Some people do talk S**T 🙄

69er
    Free Member

b r – Member

We've dealt with this before on STW, weight (or lack of) makes no difference at all.

What!!! Utter bollicks. Did you go to school? NO diffference at all? That's a bold statement! 😆

So if I gave you a bike weighing say, a) 200lb and another weighing b) 20lb, which one could ride up a very big hill easiest? You could call bike a) a 'tandem' and the stokers fallen asleep… wouldn't be much fun going down either!

What colour is your hair?

hora
    Free Member

What were you expecting?

Crack? I BET I could break one (without throwing/dropping it down a trail etc)

RustyNissanPrairie

thebikechain – Member

yeah i like them-I'd give them awhile for any possible strength/durability issue's to surface but would consider one.

It will more than likely be stronger than most frames on the market seeing as it's CEN rated. You will have a hard time breaking one.

possibly any issue's with the dropout area/inserts rather than the CEN burly front end.

higgo
    Free Member

Some people do talk S**T

What!!! Utter bollicks. Did you go to school? NO diffference at all? That's a bold statement!

It was a bold statement with one of these —> 😉 after it. I got it. But then I 'get' the rugged beauty of the carbon 456 so I'm probably a bit cleverer than most.
    Here comes another …. 😉

br
    Free Member

Some people do talk S**T

Obviously you've never seen my posts' on weight… IT WAS SARCASM.

I ride a 456Ti and am gutted that the 456C is lighter for the same strength, nevermind its half-price!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

My build is earlier in the thread if you want a look. I'm running 2009 Thors and Syncros bits that are pretty light, but the wheels and tyres are heavier than they could be and the cassette is Deore, so some excess in there. Running 203mm + 180mm Magura floating rotors, which are very heavy and Louise brakes, whihc I think are relatively heavy?

Anyway, when I weighed it I had thought it might have been lighter, but I don't know how accurate the scales are, or really how much people bullshit on weights, so not sure what it should be.

I wasn't disappointed as it's built for the riding I do, not down to an arbitrary weight point. Besides, I've been riding about on a 38lb Bullit for the last year or so, so it feels light to me and flies up the hills. If I wanted light I would have weighted for the sub 1kg Whippet frame.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Oh, on the tapered headtube thing; you tend to have a bigger downtube than top tube these days, presumably for strength to weight considerations, running a larger bottom race probably optimises the downtube design, but there isn't the same benefit at the top. Would look a bit ugly with a skinny top-tube on the 1.5" standar I reckon.

hora
    Free Member

How much does the carbon one weigh? Question- I prefer a steel 16" however Im worried that the seatpost length that I'd normally use wouldnt be suitable on the carbon material?

higgo
    Free Member

How much does the carbon one weigh?

I didn't weigh mine but it's a lot lighter than the steel one. From memory the weights people have reported on here are ~1450g or just over 3lb.

Question – I prefer a steel 16" however Im worried that the seatpost length that I'd normally use wouldnt be suitable on the carbon material?

That's not a question. It's a statement with a question mark tacked on the end.

If your question is "is there a limit on seatpost length for this frame?" then I don't think there is. 456s typically are run with a lot of post showing (I tend to buy 400/410mm posts as 350mm ones are a bit close to the minimum insertion line for my liking). I cannot think of any engineering reason why you couldn't run the same seatpost in the carbon frame cf. steel.

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

Just got back from my 456's maiden voyage and have to say I love it. So much fun to ride, Accelerates really quickly and climbs superbly. Even took it over a few small jumps and drop offs and it hasn't exploded/broken into 16 pieces which is more than can be said for my Meta 5..

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Very tempted. I love my 456 but it is a bit of a lump. I don't really notice the weight much on the rides I do but I fancy a summer build project 8)

Paulio
    Free Member

Any more thoughts on these frames from owners? Anyone done some longer rides on them?

I've got an urge to build up a new bike and am flitting between different frames – earlier in the week it was a Ti hardtail and today it's the carbon 456!

higgo
    Free Member

Any more thoughts on these frames from owners? Anyone done some longer rides on them?

Sadly work got in the way this week but I'll be giving it another *thrashing round the Dark Peak on Sunday.

(*thrashing is a relative term but I'll do my best)

tony24
    Free Member

Went out for the first test ride on mine yesterday night. amazingly solid feeling bike thought it would have a little bit of flex but not a thing. super quick in comparison to my FS and i loved every minute of riding it, even if my tyres were a little bit on the flat side 😀

Oh i rode a trail with a set of around 20 steps and did a fair few bunny hops etc and its still in 1 piece . 😉

Paulio
    Free Member

Good stuff, thanks chaps. It seems to be all good news for these frames at the moment.

myheadsashed

It's growing on me 😥

and I'm far to niche for that.

higgo
    Free Member

It's a weapon.

higgo
    Free Member

Battle scars…

(got a bit close to a big gritstone boulder last night)

poppa
    Free Member

Liking the weight-debate induced anger.

nickegg
    Free Member

Its not a weapon, it's a bloody bike!

Oh, abit of helitape would have prevented that 😉

hora
    Free Member

Ragley have some catching up to do. The 456 carbon will be winning awards soon! 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

Ugly awards.

hora
    Free Member

You could always wear a fetching mask and cape when riding the carbon 456…

thepodge
    Free Member

I nearly played drums in a Mexican wrestling mask once if that counts

hora
    Free Member

I misread drums with bums then!

MarkN
    Free Member

Oh, abit of helitape would have prevented that

Hind sight is great ain't it…

I have done similar on mine and know how it smarts.. 😥

rob2
    Free Member

after a bottle of wine last night, just spunked my money on a 16" pre order. Bikes are bad things.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Do the frames come with SS and geared dropouts?

rootes1

they would look better if they were white + some graphics

Paulio
    Free Member

I've got a 16" on pre-order too, I think they look great.

Do the frames come with SS and geared dropouts?

They come with geared dropouts and you have to buy the ss ones separately.

deagle8747
    Free Member

hi i would like to ask you a question cause i am not from uk and i don’t know much…is ”on one” a trustworthy company you can rely on?I am considering ordering a bike…how is the shipping?does the company send the bike fast and are the frames protected enough so that they are not harmed during the ”trip”.thanks and excuse my english it not my native language

mtbtomo
    Free Member

On One are a trust worthy company, probably one of the most loved on this forum!?

From order to despatch might be a week or so in the case of a bike, because they build them up from scratch. Well packed in proper bike boxes like any other brand.

Just search the rest of the forum for ‘on one’!!

takisawa2

Paid £130 for my inbred, & the £1500 fs frame is up for sale because its made me realise how stupidly overbiked I am for what/where/when I ride. I’d trust On-One. They emailed me at 10pm once, between xmas & new year to update on an order question. And the packing on my frame was spot on.

deagle8747
    Free Member

That is for sure some great news…I am not very consered of the time i ‘ll have to wait as long as i make a good deal and buy from a good company…thank you for your answers!!

Viewing 39 posts - 161 through 199 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Carbon 456 – anyone got theirs yet?’ is closed to new replies.