Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Car Tyres – What's the difference?
  • Rich
    Free Member

Looking around for some decent tyres, I have noticed that tyres that are the same size and ratings have different prices on the same site.

The only difference is on some it says a manufacturer’s name underneath.

Surely if the ratings are exactly the same then they are the same tyre, so can I fit the cheaper one?

ie:

Bridgestone ER300

Size: 205/55 R16 V (91)
    Variant: Alfa Romeo
    Premium wet handling for increased safety.
    Smooth drive reduces stress on long journeys.

£71.77 each

Bridgestone ER300

Size: 205/55 R16 V (91)
    Variant:
    Premium wet handling for increased safety.
    Smooth drive reduces stress on long journeys.

£74.58 each

Saying that I suppose they are probably reinforced or slightly different in some way.

Taff
    Free Member

Same as bike tyres, different compounds etc. The really expensive ones aren’t necessarily better than the cheaper alternative and when you’re looking at a rpice difference of £5 I wouldn’t be too bothered and would be more concerned about looking at whihc one has better reviews. The tyres for my car can vary from 60 to 100ea and that’s for roughly the same kind of tyre.

Read the reviews on them and then make up your mind. Look at websites like mytyres or blackcircles for other peoples reviews.

FuzzyWuzzy

Usually you can use manufacturer specific tyres on other types of cars but sometimes they’ll have a note saying they’re only suitable for a specific car (think Porsche ones for example), not sure why but possibly more to do with the wheel design?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Variant: Alfa Romeo”

“Variant: “

Does that give it away?

luke
    Free Member

I’ve not come across an Alfa fitment before.
    But have seen lots of others, some can be fitted to other cars others can’t or rather shouldn’t.
    My view is that there going to basically be the same tyres.

rootes1

Bridgestone ER300

Not a bad tyre, misses rootes has them on her car – seem good all round

(think Porsche ones for example), not sure why but possibly more to do with the wheel design?

On many high performance cars the properties of the tyre are part of the overall suspension and handling characteristics…. tyres can be designed to behave in many ways etc changing to a different tyre set the overall design…

in the ordinary car world you can still often tell differences in tyres brands and models in the same size when on the car …

so much so on one car I had it made the car undrivable, took them back, the tyre dealer agreed after driving and changed to another brand – problem solved.

Rich
    Free Member

Cheers for replies.

I had noticed that the one said the manufacturer Funkydunc, as stated in my original post, the question was more is there likely to be any difference between the tyres.

I’ll ring and check with the garage, but it’s worth getting more info before doing so.

solamanda
    Free Member

IMHO, for car tyres I tend to buy on the cheaper end of the branded tyre market. I’ve been using dunlop ‘fast response’ for about £65 a corner on my car for years. I drive my car fairly hard and these work alot better than the cheapest unbranded tyres. However I don’t see the point of spending more as I’d rather use the saving to replace tyres earlier to maintain a decent tread depth.

Motorbike tyres are a different thing, they have to handle difference issues like a cheap tyre can round off it’s profile quickly. On motorbikes I spend alot more and usually results in much longer tyre life over cheaper tyres plus the improved performance.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Michelin do “Mercedes” versions of a number of their tyres – these use the same rubber compound as the normal version but with a slightly different tread pattern. Example: their 195/50 R15 “Energy” tyres are available in an “MO” Mercedes version specific to the A Class.

bobmac892

I’ve been a fan of Vredstein tyres for a while now. Sport Trac 2 then 3 and lately the Ultrac Cento all of the same size your looking for. Bought 2 x Ultrac Cento from MyTyres recently for about £61 each but then you need to find a friendly (or cheap) tyre fitter so add about £12-£15 per tyre.

There is also a “Fitted” price option available on MyTyres and you can pick a tyre fitter local to yourself but I haven’t tried that option yet. I’m sure I’m saving a few quid per corner.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Tyres make a huge difference to handling, braking and comfort. Cheap tyres can increase wet braking distances by 20%, and significantly increase the chances of losing grip on corners. The more high performance the car, and the faster you drive the more they matter.

Proof is in reviews like the Auto Express tyre test

molgrips
    Free Member

For a while the Michelin Energy saver ones were only available in the Prius size in the Mercedes OEM version for some reason.

Hijack – I’m gonna need winter tyres for Germany I think – anyone got any tips? Looking at Nokian WR G2 for about £90 each, everything else with a recognisable brand is £120.

DickBarton

Vredestein Winter Trac (I think) – mate has them on 3 of his cars – Civic Type R and 2 Legnum VR4’s) – all 3 perform noticeably better in the snow and wet with those on. Not sure of cost but I think they are under the 100 quid mark per corner.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Car Tyres – What's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.