Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Car insurance. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Car insurance is up and I’m looking round for, a decent quote. me and the wife, her as main driver with 10 years ncb, 0 points, me secondary with 3 points and 12ncb on a touran 2.0 tDi sport, L postcode. cheapest quote is £1350!!!!!!!!!

I honesty can’t articulate how insane this is and how passed off I am about it. I’m afraid I am just not prepared to pay it and I’m going to be carless for however long it takes for insurance to get real again.

Not going to bd easy with two young kids either…..

AndyRT
    Free Member

that is daft! Surely this perpetual rip off cant carry on?

wwaswas

I’m going to be carless for however long it takes for insurance to get real again

life then 🙁

does seem a lot – I pay about £250 on 2 litre renault people carrier.

camo16
    Free Member

As another L post-coder I feel your pain. I’m paying around £700 (can’t recall the exact figure) for a 1.3 Fiat Panda diesel… Insanity.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I’m now carless for the same reason.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I can only think you are not looking in the right places for your insurance. You are clearly at least 29 so out of the main danger age. Lost my full no claims earlier in the year after getting a couple of scrapes tidied up on the car but even with that, business coverage and fully comp my insurance on a 1.9 Vectra estate SRi is less than half that.

Have you tried looking at people like Swiftcover, Hastings Direct, brokers?

Olly
    Free Member

touran 2.0 tDi sport

im going to go with that being the issue.

TheFlyingOx

I really, REALLY don’t understand car insurance. OP & wife sound infinitely less risky than me, on paper, and yet I get a decidedly old but exceedingly rapid Jap import super-estate for £520 fully comp.

Have you shopped around properly? My above premium is with Elephant on a 10-month bonus accelerator policy.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m busy looking around now too

I really can’t figure out their criteria

Direct line with just me as the driver, business use etc. £857
    Direct line with me as the driver and my wife as a 2nd driver [1 no fault claim, and one vandalism claim], business use etc. £1088

LV with just me as the driver, business use etc. £389
    LV with me as the driver and my wife as a 2nd driver [1 no fault claim, and one vandalism claim], business use etc. £357

So not only is DL massively more expensive, they load it when my wife is added but LV reduce it when shes added

Is there not any sort of universal risk model used?
    The differences are so far apart, it’s hard to believe there isn’t an error

loddrik
    Free Member

I’ve tried all the comparison sites and lowest I could get was 1600!!!!

Drac

I’ve tried all the comparison sites and lowest I could get was 1600!!!!

Well there’s your next mistake, these sites are a con go to companies direct instead. Preferably a one that doesn’t use comparison sites.

uplink
    Free Member

LV was much cheaper for me going direct to their website over the comparison sites – try that

loddrik
    Free Member

Direct line wouldn’t even quote me!

Klunk
    Free Member

I’m busy looking around now too

I really can’t figure out their criteria

Direct line with just me as the driver, business use etc. £857
    Direct line with me as the driver and my wife as a 2nd driver [1 no fault claim, and one vandalism claim], business use etc. £1088

LV with just me as the driver, business use etc. £389
    LV with me as the driver and my wife as a 2nd driver [1 no fault claim, and one vandalism claim], business use etc. £357

So not only is DL massively more expensive, they load it when my wife is added but LV reduce it when shes added

Is there not any sort of universal risk model used?
    The differences are so far apart, it’s hard to believe there isn’t an error

trying it on, if you rang back DL telling them of the LV quote i’m sure somehow they would magically match it or get very close.

wwaswas

Direct line wouldn’t even quote me!

is this just based on your post code or are there other factors involved (profession or something)?

loddrik
    Free Member

Tried the usual suspects all direct and admiral were the cheapest at £1350. Who else should I be trying?

loddrik
    Free Member

I guess it is just the postcode. there is nothing else.

wwaswas

are there any ‘old style’ local insurance brokers with a shop front you could visit – they’d know who was best?

vinnyeh

what was the renewal figure and who with?

A quick look says it’s group 17, so old 9 or so- is Liverpool really that bad for insurance?

AndyRT
    Free Member

Aplan down south are an old fashioned style broker. But you do pay more

Klunk
    Free Member

what mileage are you giving them ?

anc
    Free Member

Ehh! Thats insane money for a touran!
    My wife and I are £398 for a Subaru impreza Sti Prodrive (group 20) Aviva and £240 for a Passat estate 2.0tdi(group 12) sheila’s wheels.

uplink
    Free Member

trying it on, if you rang back DL telling them of the LV quote i’m sure somehow they would magically match it or get very close.

very odd business model for a new customer, who’d bother ringing them?
    I know they do it with current customers to try and win a bit off them but its bonkers for a new quote

dooosuk
    Free Member

Try http://www.beatthatquote.com if you haven’t already.

They were cheaper than any other comparison site when I did mine this week (there was £100 difference between Admiral prices from site to site).

Also, if you have a second car get a multicar quote. Even cheaper for me but I could only find £800 8yrs NCD, 3 pts, no accidents with a M postcode. I paid £350 last year.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Esure were shockingly cheaper on our renewal on my wifes Cooper S works last week. Alright I am old, but £280 fully comp is a great deal cheaper than anyone else we checked out on.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Same with business insurance at the moment.

My broker said the renewal was £950 (+ £15 ‘registration’ fee + 10%APR if paid monthly). I told him I was looking around as it was too expensive. He came back with £798 with the same fees as above and said I wouldn’t be able to find cheaper – it was easily the cheapest on the market.

Bought it directly from More Than for £385 with no registration fee and 0%APR for paying by monthly direct debit – identical/better cover to the one he proposed.

hels
    Free Member

DL quoted me £307 for the year, that was with some legal protection add-on I couldn’t be bothered arguing about.

9 years no claims, one driver, small rural town.

loddrik
    Free Member

Mileage is 7k pa, wife is 32 I am 38.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like L1-22 are very high risk, so if that’s where you are then there’s your answer!

Doesn’t make it any less rubbish.

Be very honest about the mileage, if you’ve just put 10000 or whatever, think carefully if you will actually do that. Reducing it can make a big difference. Play with excesses too, assuming you’re not planning on crashing the car ask about a higher excess, may make a big difference.

allthepies
    Free Member

Looks like the ambulance chasers and “claims management” companies (i.e. charge out hire cars at eyewatering levels while taking forever to fix the car) are coming home to roost 🙂

greggparker9
    Free Member

I feel your pain, I’ve been travelling for 2 years and sold my TDI Golf before I went, thank god!! My mum had an old Peugeot estate banger spare and said I could have it if I insured it. I’m in an L8 postcode, 27, 6 points, 4 years no claims and the insurance was double the cost of the car! It’s a joke, there’s no incentive to have insurance, it’s no wonder so many scallies drive around with no insurance.

greggparker9
    Free Member

Looks like L1-22 are very high risk, so if that’s where you are then there’s your answer!

This is a load of bollocks, I never had any problems with my car anywhere in Liverpool. Nor people I know. Classic age old stereotype of Liverpool!!

lunge

I can deal with the high premuims, I don’t like them but I can deal with them. What I don’t like is them sending out a renewal quote for £300 more than I can get by putting my details back onto their website.

If that isn’t taking the proverbial I don’t know what it.

njee20
    Free Member

This is a load of bollocks, I never had any problems with my car anywhere in Liverpool. Nor people I know. Classic age old stereotype of Liverpool!!

It’s based on statistics somehow, so you may not mix with those who are getting cars stolen or making fraudulent claims, but as much as people may like to think, the figures aren’t made up and they’re not based on stereotypes!

Check your postcode here.

camo16
    Free Member

It’s based on statistics somehow, so you may not mix with those who are getting cars stolen or making fraudulent claims, but as much as people may like to think, the figures aren’t made up!

Okay.

But where are the actual stats? I actually asked my insurer this question when my renewal came up. The reply was (1) I’m not sure it’s public domain and (2) nobody’s ever asked for this before.

Anyone know if there’s a primary source collating accidents/thefts etc by post code?

konagirl
    Free Member

greggparker9 – Member

The L postcodes are “high risk” in the insurance industry models. All to do with number of claims, cost of claims (i.e. small bumps vs write-offs inc. ‘whiplash’) and the number of uninsured drivers. Some statistics recently suggested 20% of Merseyside drivers are uninsured, which will hike up the premiums.

Having said that we live in L13 and always have to shop around for car insurance. Each company will change its mind on whether they want to ensure us one year to the next (50-100% increases in price on renewal), so whilst most companies will offer £1000+ for a 10 year old, group 11 car, partner has 10 years NCB, we usually find something around £350-400. Although we have no points on our licenses.

As has already been mentioned, try looking at insuring both cars with the same company, although one of you may have to sacrifice your NCB. Or change your car! (We just insured a 1971 Lotus in the garage for £200, even though its worth more than the day car, their risk model suggests you won’t crash a classic!).

I am interested that Direct Line won’t insure you. I have that problem because I am a mature student. Cna you ring and find out what it is in your profile that they consider so high risk they won’t insure you?

loddrik
    Free Member

Just spoke to Lv, £1100. Esure won’t insure me because of where I live. And I live in a pretty decent area…

twinklydave

It does seem to be unruly, made-up-on-the-spot stupidity nowadays.

Moving house changed my premium with my (then) insurer from £540 to £1360 as I was moving into a “higher risk area”. I checked the police crime statistics only to discover that there was less ‘crime’ where I’d moved to.
    Then I checked on a few price comparison websites and, not too surprisingly, everyone else quoted lower than they had for my previous address.

So I changed insurer, being careful to list the modifications my car has – doing so upped the premium a bit, which I expected – but spotted that my car was described as having “no modifcations” on the policy documents as well as having an alarm (which I’d made clear it didn’t).
    On getting in contact with them I was informed that the modifications I have make no difference to the policy so don’t need to be listed…even though they’re included on the list their own website states “must be declared”…and even though it affected the price. Oh and having an alarm fitted doesn’t lower the cost of the policy by the looks of it, as having it taken off the policy made no difference to the price… 😕

Still, at least it gives me somethng to grumble about 😥

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If it is the risk of it being nicked in your postcode area then see if the insurance becomes cheaper if you paint it shocking pink, as no-one is going to nick it when it looks like that?

njee20
    Free Member

Moving house changed my premium with my (then) insurer from £540 to £1360 as I was moving into a “higher risk area”. I checked the police crime statistics only to discover that there was less ‘crime’ where I’d moved to.

To be fair it’s not really about crime, it’s about claims. If that post code had a particularly high number of claims for your original insurer perhaps their model flags it as a higher risk area. Or perhaps a few people have had big accidents with uninsured drivers or sommat.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’ is closed to new replies.