Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Car insurance rip off…
  • elzorillo
    Free Member

Just renewed my daughters car insurance..

Gave them a call to see if they could reduce their renewal price a bit and got a reduction of just under a thousand pounds!!

What are these people on???

Initial ‘automatic’ renewal price was £1690.. phone call telling them they were taking the &!$$ and got a new price of £755.

spooky_b329

You got nearly a grand off and you still moaning?! I’d be over the moon!

will
    Free Member

Yeah so would I 😆 I always used to just ignore renewal prices/quotes and go and get a new one, as a new customer. Always cheaper!

elzorillo
    Free Member

Glad of the saving, just shocked that they were going to debit my card automatically with the previous amount..

butcher

I just replaced a 300bhp JDM import with a run of the mill Honda Civic. Phoned the insurance company to tell them I’d changed cars and their initial response was that they would continue the monthly direct debits as normal – at the same price!

Another phonecall explaining that they were taking the pi$$ and those monthly payments dropped quite dramatically…

Insurance companies always start with the highest price and work down from there, depending on your reaction.

Jamie
    Free Member

I got my renewal through. Rang up to complain, and they offered me a tenner off.

Maybe I should start a thread or something?

elzorillo
    Free Member

Maybe I should start a thread or something?

Not worth it for a tenner pal.. but selling a pair of running shoes though.. now that would be worth about half a dozen threads at least.

emac65
    Free Member

Just had my renewal -£256 all in ! Which would be great if I didn’t have to pay my son’s first insurance for his 18th birthday present – £2750……..:o(

jd-boy
    Free Member

You dont see many insurance brokers driving round in a focus, !!!!!!!!!!!!! they need to pay for their Audi some how,

Car insurance, big rip off

elzorillo
    Free Member

Just had my renewal -£256 all in ! Which would be great if I didn’t have to pay my son’s first insurance for his 18th birthday present – £2750……..:o(

Put yourself down as second driver on the policy and you should see a substantial reduction in the quote.

emac65
    Free Member

Err,no that only works sometimes…….

Worked for my other son two years ago,but actually put it up this time !

elzorillo
    Free Member

Err,no that only works sometimes…….

Worked on all my kids policies (and my nieces/nephews too).

Jamie
    Free Member

now that would be worth about half a dozen threads at least.

Sold ’em though.

…and stop stalking me. It’s unsettling.

poly
    Free Member

…What are these people on???

aye, what are you on – if she can’t afford to insure it she can’t afford to drive it.

emac65
    Free Member

poly – Member
    aye, what are you on – if she can’t afford to insure it she can’t afford to drive it.

Clueless…My eldest son (I also paid for his insurance) only got his job because he had a car.He now pays for his own insurance & everything else because he has a job……. 🙄

emac65
    Free Member

Worked on all my kids policies (and my nieces/nephews too).

How long ago are we talking about though ?We did this 18 mths ago & it brought my eldest son’s insurance down £50,but his first insurance for the same type of car was only £1495(Yeah,I know only !).We put the wife on the younger son’s insurance & it made £20 difference….

Northwind

When I last renewed the bike, I got a first renewal offer of £800. Phoned them up and they reduced it down to a “best possible price” of £400. Phoned straight back and gave all my details as a new customer- was offered £200 with various free extras.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I know what the op is getting at but surely you should be glad as they don’t normally have that much to play with to reduce a premium.

how old is your daughter as if she’s 17-24 yrs then in a saxo or like then it will cost over the odds, wack her in a 1.9 td volvo or the like and it will come up cheaper.

highclimber
    Free Member

Insurance firm trying to rip customers off shocker!

Gribs

Another way to look at it is insurance firm using lazy customers to subsidise those who shop around.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My recent renewal was £380 (been with them for 4 years), confused £520, Aviva £170 – £80 cashback.

elzorillo
    Free Member

How long ago are we talking about though ?We did this 18 mths ago & it brought my eldest son’s insurance down £50,but his first insurance for the same type of car was only £1495(Yeah,I know only !).We put the wife on the younger son’s insurance & it made £20 difference….

Last year it reduced my daughters policy by over £400.. These were the results for yesterday with comparethemarket (who were about £40 cheaper than moneysupermarket for the same policy).

18 year old daughter.. Fully Comp without second driver.. Best price Diamond insurance.. £1290

Same as above with me as second driver.. same policy.. £755.

jeepers07
    Free Member

You already got a great deal with 1000 off the original renewal price. Here in MA its a miracle if Travelers (my insurance) give a discount. I’m currenly looking for a better one that have better coverage and lower renewal fees. I found this as helpful full coverage car insurance.

Cougar

Spam reported.

Davesport

It’s a tax on the lazy & the indolent 😀 Don’t knock it, some poor sap is paying the price you were quoted & is helping keep your premium down.

Everyone’s a winner 😀

hora
    Free Member

Shes old enough to be in charge of a ton of metal yet she can’t sort out her own insurance?!

joao3v16
    Free Member

Car insurance quotes do seem almost random.

My renewal in December was £68/month, ~£800 for the year.
    This was with Direct Line (I had a fairly good idea I could have got my insurance cheaper had I shopped around, but for whatever reason I never got round to it).

Come last month, wanted to add my wife as a second driver.

Direct Line wanted an additional £23 per month, which would have taken my premiums up to £91/month.

I complained a bit and asked if they could beat it, but the sales person on the phone basically said “computer says no”.

So I cancelled (£26 charge), and found an identical policy with Aviva for £51 per month (although this is with 2 months ‘free’) for both of us. Plus I should get £65 back through Topcashback.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m quite shocked that’s there’s still people out there that didn’t realise that that’s pretty much every Ins company’s MO come renewal time

antigee

changing cars seem to have become a new rip off area – just got a renewal quote and can save £200 by swopping co’s but when I cancel i’ll point out my main reason for changing will be that i was scalped for a change of car mid year , lower insurance group, same age car same drivers best part of 30% increase in premium and an admin fee

D0NK

Chaning car changing driver changing anything and it’s spank time. When I passed my missus was still learning, got quotes for her as a learner and her as a full licensed driver, they were the same so I got insurance and planned to upgrade her status when she passed. When she did pass they wanted to charge me a couple of hundred more, I rang around got a different quote for the original price so cancelled (minus “admin” fee) and got a new policy.

downshep

Every year when my quote comes through I click on my insurers website, enter my driving record and address under a false name and hey presto! it is always cheaper. Quick phone call quoting the Ref No. and the lower price is matched.

I used to get angry about them taking the piss but as Davesport says, if those who don’t check pay the higher premiums, those who bother can save a wad. 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Car insurance rip off…’ is closed to new replies.