Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Car buying help (again) – Octavia / A3 / Golf ……
  • cheers_drive

It’s new (used) car time and I’m stuck I what to get. Currenly I’ve got a 10 year old Skoda Octavia which I’ve had for 6 years, it’s been very reliable but I fancy a change and need something a little newer for work use.
    I hake a £10k budget and so far of narrowed it down to the VW group cars:
    Octavia Estate – Better looking than the hatch (which I have now), good reviews but not very wow and cost more secondhand than I expected.
    Golf Estate – Smaller than the Octavia but big enough for the bikes, hard to find.
    A3 Sportback – Suprisingly similar in cost to the other choices and there are more available secondhand. Just not sure it is big enough for 2 bikes. Better quality interior.

Most of the time it will just be me in the car but needs to be able to take 2 people and 2 bikes. I do about 12k miles per year so not to fussed whether it’s petrol or diesel.
    I have ruled out the Passat and Mazda 6 due to to many reports of expensive problems with the diesel engines. Not interested in French or Italian cars.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Octy II vRS estate. I have a petrol version and its a cracking car – quick(ish), nice to drive, well built etc. The world is your oyster for £10k – should be a good range of the diesel and petrol versions in that range.

For £10k you should be able to pick up a pretty nice A4 Avant thats 3 or 4 years old. Local Audi main dealer had an 06 plate red Avant S-Line when we were looking for just over your budget but loads of independents had them for a couple of k less.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have ruled out the Passat and Mazda 6 due to to many reports of expensive problems with the diesel engines.

Passats come with the exact same engines as all those three cars you are considering.

Newer Passats are reliable but you might not get one for 10k.

I’d look at Passat or Jetta – they are often cheaper because people march in demanding Golfs. There were lots of bargains at our place that the dealer could not sell. People don’t want Passats cos they think they are reps cars.

cheers_drive

I’ve looked at the VRS and it does add the wow factor to the Octavia. There aren’t many diesel estates available for under 10k and sensible milage though, and the petrol VRS is a bit thirsty.
    Was considering a 1.8 TSI L&K which is quicker that diesel VRS and less thirstly than a petrol VRS, would have to be a hatchback though.

cheers_drive

Passats come with the exact same engines as all those three cars you are considering

They do but as the Passat is bigger it would need to have the 2.0TDI which is the less reliable especially when in the larger cars (Passats, Superbs, A4s) apparently due to it being mounted differently. Or maybe just more Passats are sold so more go wrong????

hora
    Free Member

Whats wrong with your Octavia? Big bills, grumbles? Why get rid if nothing wrong?!!

cheers_drive

Because I’ve had it for 6 years / 80k miles and I want a change. I also need to use my own car for my new job and for image reasons would like a new car.
    I’m not a petrol head though and reliabity and comfort wins over performance any day.

Drac

2 bikes and 2 people easily got into A3 and Golf hatchback not sure why you even thinking estate if it’s just for that.

molgrips
    Free Member

They do but as the Passat is bigger it would need to have the 2.0TDI which is the less reliable especially when in the larger cars

Hmm.. the pre 2008 2.0 TDI was a PD version with potentially iffy injectors and an oil pump issue in certain ones that was subject to recall IIRC. However since 2008 it’s a different Common Rail unit. They all say 2.0 TDI on the back though and many dealers don’t even know the difference. You should easily be able to tell the difference from the sound of the thing though.

I didn’t think the newer engine was unreliable though?

Anyway they were available with a 1.9 engine which was reliable too iirc. Bit slow, but driveable.

EDIT: if you want reliability and comfort, look at Honda or Toyota perhaps? Civic, Accord, Avensis, Prius? Although I’m not sure Civics are up to normal Honda standards, but this could’ve improved with newer models.

andytherocketeer

2 bikes and 2 people easily got into A3 and Golf hatchback not sure why you even thinking estate if it’s just for that.

And my Mk1 Leon. Pedals and wheels off make it a lot easier, specially if there’s a weeks worth of luggage in there too.

My 181cm skis only fit diagonally, 1 way round, with tails wedged between RH rear door and the flipped up rear seat. Not tried with the other half down, and skis down the middle.

Also thinking Octavia Estate (new/newish). Same wheelbase as Leon, fractionally extra boot space I think?

cheers_drive

The Octavia has a massive boot compared to the Leon

fbk
    Free Member

I went with the A3 as, like you point out, the 2nd hand prices are so similar it seemed rude not too. I’m really happy with it and, with the seats down, you can easily get 2 plus 2 bikes in. Nice interior, nice little extras and a key fob with 4 rings on 😉

neil853
    Free Member

I have a 2006 L&K 1.9TDI, had it about 2 years now. Such a comfortable car to drive we drove down to Morzine in it this year and it was perfect for it. Over 50mpg all the time and with the bikes on the roof it still does over 40. The L&K trim makes it a little different.

Having said all this i’m thinking of getting a newer VRS diesel, but i’m waiting till my job is a little more secure 🙄

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

for image reasons would like a new car.

Your looking at the wrong cars then. Isnt it generally only very dull IT managers with no imagination, or middle class try hards who buy anything by VW?

Not a great image

andytherocketeer

The Octavia has a massive boot compared to the Leon

Cool – that’s me sorted then.
    vRS estate must be almost a stealthy Leon FR. Specially if the badge “falls off”.
    Yeti was an option, but despite Jezza’s review on TG, impression I got from briskoda forum pictures is that it’s really not that brilliant, and my seats fold flatter (but I’ll admit I’ve not seen one IRL).

cheers_drive

I had a look at all 3 today:
    A3 is the nicest inside but the seats don’t fold flat so putting bikes in will be a pain compared to the front wheel and seatpost off loading I currently have. How do you load yours up fbk?
    Golf looks best from outside (at least in a black Sportline model). Interior is solid but very bland.
    Octavia (VRS)looks nicely understated from outside, interior is nicer than Golf (in looks maybe not build) but not as special as A3, VRS seats are a aquired taste.

The Octavia is favourite still (maybe not a VRS though), A3 would win if it was better for loading. Golf is just too dull inside.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Car buying help (again) – Octavia / A3 / Golf ……’ is closed to new replies.