• This topic has 45 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by grum.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Canon 5D mk III
  • grum
    Free Member

I know there are a few fellow camera nerds on here, anyone anticipating this release? Meant to be coming out tomorrow apparently. Canon Rumors site seems to have crashed with all the fevered speculation.

These look like the specs.

Unsurpassed Image Quality
    22.3 Megapixel Full Frame CMOS sensor
    DiG!C 5+ Image Processor
    ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400
    Full HD Movie (ISO 100-12800 (H:25600)

High Performance Operation
    61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)
    6.0 fps for high continuous shooting
    Intelligent viewfinder with approx. 100% coverage
    3.2-type, approx.1.04m dot (3:2 wide) Clear View LCD II
    iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor
    Shutter durability of 150,000 cycles

High end features
    Silent & low vibration modes
    Dual card slots (CF & SD)
    High Dynamic Range (HDR) Mode
    Multiple Exposures
    Comparative Playback function
    Improved durability & water and dust resistance

SPECIFICATIONS
    Available Colours – Black
    Megapixels – 22MP
    Sensor Size – 36 x 24mm
    ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600
    Autofocus Points – 61 points
    Lens Mount – Canon
    LCD Size – 3.2?
    Liveview – Yes
    Viewfinder – Optical TTL
    Min Shutter Speed – 30 sec
    Max Shutter Speed – 1/8000 sec
    Continuous Shooting Speed – 6 fps
    Self Timer – 10 sec, 2 sec
    Metering – Centre-weighted, Spot, Evaluative, Partial
    Video Resolution – Full HD 1080
    Memory Type – Compact Flash
    Connectivity – USB 2, HDMI, Mic Input, Wireless (optional)
    Battery – LP-E6
    Battery Type – Lithium-ion
    Charger – Includes Li-Ion Charger
    File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4
    Dimensions – 152 x 116 x 76mm
    Box Contents – Battery Pack LP-E6 .. Battery Charger LC-E6 .. AV Cable AVC-DC400ST .. Interface Cable IFC-200U .. Eyecup Eg .. Wide Strap EWEOS5DMKIII .. CR1616 Lithium Battery+

Could be ideal for my photography but probably a bit too spendy on launch.

vorlich
    Free Member

Other than the AF improvements, I don’t see any reason to upgrade my mkII, based on those specs alone. Besides, I only finished paying for my mkii this month.

grum
    Free Member

I’m still on a 5D mk I! Main things I would like are the AF and the high ISO performance. I like to shoot fast lenses wide open quite a bit and shoot weddings where light is quite often bad, so those two things would be very handy.

If I already had a mk II I’d probably not be that interested though. I might even pick up a s/h mark II if prices drop a bit.

vorlich
    Free Member

I might just upgrade to one of those new 41MP Nokia phones instead :mrgreen:

AlexSimon

ISO 102400 – I would actually use that occasionally. I think my 40D maxes out at 3200!

The features don’t really speak for themselves, it will be interesting to see it in the flesh, what ISO you can still get a noise-free image from and what they’ve done to improve video (moire and rolling shutter).

I’m probably more interested in the GH3 though as this is out of my price range.

lodious
    Free Member

I’m getting a 7D tomorrow 😉 , planning to wait until the 5d III has been out for 6 months and the inital frenzy has subsided, then go Full Frame w/5d mkIII. If it has the electrical wireless flash built in, that would be fun 😉

s
    Free Member

sorry for a numpty question, but was there much difference between the 5D and 5D MK2?

5D seem to go for a reasonable price, well, for second hand for a full frame anyway?

AlexSimon

5D would make a great wedding/portrait/landscape lens.

IIRC (it’s been a few years) It’s main weaknesses are with auto-focus, focus points and slow frame-rate compared to current crop.

The 5D mkii improved on some of that and added full HD Video (it’s headline-grabbing new feature).

Most people I know who had a 5D didn’t bother upgrading unless they wanted the video.

molgrips
    Free Member

The camera about which I am excited is the Olympus OM-D. Not sure why tho, I’ve got no chance of getting one!

grum
    Free Member

Nice one lodious, enjoy (is it my fault you are spending all this cash? What have I done? 😛 )!

s – mk II has video, more MP, live view, AF micro adjust for lenses – not sure what else. 5D I is still a very nice camera IMO, you just need nice lenses to make the most of full frame.

OMD is a very interesting cam, I’m not too keen on the overtly retro styling though (which is obviously the important thing).

molgrips
    Free Member

Well the retro styling is a nice touch imo but there’s a lot more. It’s a progression of all the ideas Oly have been having over the years. It’s small, light, well made, super fast (apparently) and has some pretty clever IS related features. And the art filters, which are a bit of a daft gimmick on my camera, are becoming interesting.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Full frame…

highclimber
    Free Member
    GaryLake
    Free Member

Just bought a 5D MKII at work mainly for video use, they’ve been heavily discounted for a while now and the MKIII was going to well out of our price range anyway so was a no brainer purchase.

stumpy01

I’d still love to upgrade to a Nikon D7000, not that in all honesty I really need to, or could justify the expense.
    The Nikon D800 looks nice – was released recently.

Reckon my next camera related purchases will probably be a prime lens – not sure if I should get the 50mm 1.8 or the 35mm 1.8. 35mm is a bit more pricey, but I think the 50mm will be a bit too long…..hmmmm.
    Also wanna get a Tamron 90mm macro. Been on about it for ages, but never seems to be the right time to buy….

dazzlingboy

Oh dear. Love my 7D and have a fair number of EF-S lenses, but this is very very tempting.

flow
    Free Member

I don’t think its worth it over a 5d Mk2, isn’t it £1000 more?

I won’t be upgrading.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Could this be why dpreview is down just now?

lodious
    Free Member

3k….ouch! Looks good though.

lodious
    Free Member

The cost difference between the 5Dmk111 and the D800 would cover the losses in selling lenses/flash guns, so I guess if people want to transition from Canon to Nikon, when moving to FF the costs would be similar? I wonder when the two camreas will actually be available to buy in the UK? End of March is not long off!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

5D would make a great wedding/portrait/landscape lens.

Erm…….

AlexSimon

oh – you know what I meant!

simon77
    Free Member

damn, I was hoping to sell my mk ii before this happened!

grum
    Free Member

Looks absolutely perfect for my needs, but as usual the US-UK price difference is pretty crazy. $3500 is about £2200, even adding on sales tax etc it’s s big difference. I’m not sure why they reckon it’s worth £600 more than a D800 on uk preorder prices.

Not sure I can be bothered with selling all my lenses etc though, and the massive MP count on the D800 has no real appeal for me. Will wait and see what happens one prices settle down a bit. I ithink historically Nikon have held their prices pretty firmly long-term, whereas Canon bodies get cheaper over time.

madhouse

Been waiting for this almost as long as I’ve been waiting for a 100-400 replacement, will wait till the frenzy’s over and the price comes down a bit though.

AlexSimon

Preview and sample high ISO shots added here:
    Video:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/02/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-preview

Preview:
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/

Photos
    http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/9

ISO 102400 looks poor – ah well 😀

ISO 25600 looks very usable indeed.

grum
    Free Member

Yup the high ISO performance looks pretty damn impressive, as does the shadow detail on an example I saw on CR. not 3k impressive yet though for me.

grum
    Free Member

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-5d-mkiii/canon-5d-mkiiiA7.HTM

Still looking good – grey import preorders for £2500

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Body

Still too much for me to stomach at the mo….

MrSmith
    Free Member

will be brilliant for posting sunset pics and lurid HDR ‘architecture’ shots on flickr.

the measurebators will be going for the d800 though.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Here it is.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnFaIPCU3d8[/video]

grum
    Free Member

the measurebators will be going for the d800 though.

Love that word 😆

It’s amazing the frenzy that people get into – discussions of these cameras on places like dpreview are just hideous. Was there thousands of angry nerds desperate to score points before the internet, or did the internet create them?

You not tempted by the D800 though – would it be useful to have that resolution for your commercial stuff?

For wedding photography the 5D III looks about perfect.

MrSmith
    Free Member

You not tempted by the D800 though – would it be useful to have that resolution for your commercial stuff?

would be ideal but i can’t use the 90 and 24 t/se canon lenses on it and the nikon equivalent’s are not up to scratch, they do a fantastic 14-24 but i don’t really have much use for that.
    im thinking more of a used H3D-39 and a MkIII depending on a few jobs that might be happening to pay for it.

despite forum chatter about the III being a minor upgrade it actually has some features that would make my shooting easier like the inbuilt level (interiors), extended auto bracketing (natural HDR’s) SD card (straight into macbook for the rare occasion when not shooting tethered)
    better af for the times i shoot things that move and the better quality video.
    i’m about to open an 800asa raw file to see what the shadows are like.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s amazing the frenzy that people get into – discussions of these cameras on places like dpreview are just hideous. Was there thousands of angry nerds desperate to score points before the internet, or did the internet create them?

Yeah, according to teh internets my camera is crap, but I bloody love it 🙂

On topic – the camera in that vid looks absolutely gigantic!

manitou
    Free Member

23 megapixels?.. why? most people aren’t shooting for 48 sheet posters. The file size must be huge!
    You can get decent A4 prints from 6mps.
    My nikon D3s is only 12.5 and that plenty megapixels in my book.

molgrips
    Free Member

23 megapixels?.. why?

Cos.. it’s more, isn’t it? See?

stumpy01

manitou – Member
    23 megapixels?.. why? most people aren’t shooting for 48 sheet posters. The file size must be huge!

I am not sure this camera is aimed at ‘most people’.

molgrips
    Free Member

I suspect it’s secretly aimed at techno geeks who just want the biggest and best thing. I bet that’s where most of their revenue comes from with these things.

catfood
    Free Member

Why so many megapixels….so you can crop the bejeesus out of it of course.
    The improved AF is much needed, the AF on the 5Dmk2 is crap, I know I have one, lovely files tho. The improved AF and weather sealing will make it a viable alternative for news and sports shooters (I am one)and at a much cheaper cost than the 1DX (I`ve had a play, nice but how bloody much!). I quite fancy a couple, what am I bid for a 5Dmk2 and a 7D?

MrSmith
    Free Member

it’s only a 60meg tiff which while big enough for a 48sheet (i have just shot a 48 sheet on a MKII) is not exactly huge, i am retouching some files in 16bit from an iQ180 phase one back and they are 450meg tiffs before i even add another layer 😯

I suspect it’s secretly aimed at techno geeks who just want the biggest and best thing. I bet that’s where most of their revenue comes from with these things.

absolutely, without the amateur market cameras would be very expensive for professionals, there wouldn’t be the healthy second hand market for lenses either

catfood
    Free Member

Amatuers make up over 95% of the market, pros are mostly just a shop window for Canon and Nikon, its why Canon painted their big lenses white, so they stand out on telly at sporting events.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Canon 5D mk III’ is closed to new replies.