Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Can you jump/ride drops?
  • ton

i can………. 8)

just been on a mini dh course in Temple Newsome woods.
    nice and smooth course with nice run in to 2 drops.
    not big (18” or 2ft mebee)for someone who can ride jumps/drops.
    but a bit of a challange for a overweight Grandad.
    anyhow, group of young lads on bmx’s gave me a few pointers, so off i went.
    cleaned em both no problem, then had another two run’s just to make sure it was not a fluke.
    i am/will be a dh god……… 😉

Sancho
    Free Member

nice one, ton.
    you might want to head up to Thackley soon and have a hand in some more development for a few drops and jumps for beginners or ahem the more advanced rider.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Will you teach me please?

jam-bo

Every time I get hung up about a jump or drop, when I finally ride it I realise it was pretty easy really and it’s all a head game.

GW
    Free Member

yes, learned both at the age of 5 it’s much easier the earlier you start. my 2 yr old can drop kerbs on her balance bike confidently already and jump her scooter.

good on you for giving it a go. 😀

ton

GW, i have a lovely warm all over glow now. all caused by you saying something nice to me………… 😉

GW
    Free Member

😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

I used to quite comfortably do 6-8 foot drops, not pinkbike feet either. And I still can but have the fear these days. Small <3ft ones I take in my stride but bigger need encouragement these days. I’ve never been much cop at jumping tho. I plan to change that this summer.

ton

I Ache, me too mate, gonna sign up for one of Great Rock’s jumps for dad’s courses. 8)

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah they’re my favourite things to do on a bike. nothing beats the feeling of flowing through a set of dirt jumps 😀 Step downs feel amazing as well.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’ve improved my jumping in the last few years and am reasonable a doing drops. Biggest I’ve done is about 8 ft so far. Big whips still elude me, but my tables are ok.

Jumping is one of the joys of riding a bike.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ton I’m off to see Jedi later in the year along with sessions at the local jump spot crashing a lot.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I’ve gone in the other direction and am currently having a real problem with jumps and fast drop offs. My weight is far to far forward and I don’t seem to be able t correct it. Big wipe out and flip over the bars yesterday as a result and I am struggling to move today! Need a skills course quickly.

Been quite confused by recent threads and talks of which wheel lands first etc. can’t tell if any are wind ups or not?!?

Mugboo

Sancho

Is there new stuff on the Thackley side? Loving the Esholt ting 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Can’t really jump, I tend to squash them. But drops to 5ft ( the biggest I’ve come across) are fine so long as there’s a decent landing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Am usually ok with drops up to a wheel diameter if the run in and runout is simple enough to get time to setup for the push. I simply cannot do jumps however small. Well done Ton BTW.

tomhoward

Love drops and step downs, once I’ve had a healthy chug of mtfu (increasingly difficult to come by these days) but can’t jump to save my life! Can get airborne over the rough stuff but seem to struggle with tabletops and esp doubles!

chiefgrooveguru

Not terribly well – can ride nice tabletops ok, drops up to about four foot high when I’m feeling confident and the run in/out doesn’t put me off my stride. Went down to my local dirt jumps yesterday and spent a few hours practising on the small step-up/tabletop, big table-top and big step-up and made some progress. Hope to be riding the first one properly within the next few weeks and there’s a nice step-up/gap which seems possible as long as I can be brave and stay off the brakes!

I_Ache
    Free Member

I remember BITD when I was at collage I thought I would show off on my Cannondale Super V. So I climbed onto the loading bay round the back of the engineering area with the idea of dropping off it. The ‘dale has a crappy plastic sram rear mech, when I landed the 4ft drop to flat (with 10-15 people watching) the mech just shattered. For a second or two all those people thought I was properly RAD. I didn’t look so cool having to push my bike to the train station. Bloody crappy sram mechs.

proberts
    Free Member

Haha……RAD man!

lowcogger
    Free Member

lowcogger
    Free Member

_sherwood pines 06-04-12 by firebrace, on Flickr
    made my first visit to sherwood pines yesterday.this bit of northshore type thingy looks like nothing from this angle, but on the first run through it looked like i was dropping off the end of the world 😳

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I love jumps and drops, they’re so much fun! I’m fine basically everything tbh but I’ll just keep doing bigger and bigger stuff. I’ve done 8ft drops, decent dirt jump lines and pretty big doubles and I’m about equal on all of them now. I’m really getting used to whipping it out and tables now. Styling it up adds another new element of fun. 😀

Nice one, ton! 🙂

jam-bo

I don’t get what that last drop is supposed to be. Your hardly going to launch it to flat but then why is it even there if all you can do is roll it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I don’t get what that last drop is supposed to be. Your hardly going to launch it to flat but then why is it even there if all you can do is roll it.

I would 😀

mactheknife

Nope, im as mince as they come. Sometimes i really piss myself off. I know its a mind game and i should just get with the program but there is a mental block when it comes to steep dropoffs. 🙁

lowcogger
    Free Member

you can go over it any way you choose, can`t you?

nbt

I’m shit and I wish I was better. many many years ago (well ten or so) I was capable of a 3 or 4 foot drop to flat (off an old railway platform) but now I’m rubbish at drops, and anything that involves me launching upwards would have my heart going arrythymic faster than yours, Ton. Would love to learn but not sure I have the bottle

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I can’t do em! Well can do tiny ones, not bothered about doing any I’m not comfotable with, quite happy going round the side of those at Temple Newsam. I did do the first one once and nearly went over the bars (I know I’m crap) not bothered since.
    Glad to here you’re out riding again Ton 🙂

thegman67

the feeling i had first time i cleared the big ladder drop at GT was incredible but nobody was watching so up i went again this time with a few people waiting as i approached the run in my front wheel washed out and down i went

brokensoul
    Free Member

Ton, Steve, we’ll have to meet up for a TP mince.
    We’d be awesome
    😉

lowcogger
    Free Member

just wondering if it`s an age thing? i know for a fact that i was awesome 45+ years ago on my 3 speed sturmey archer geared half ton cast iron flying bedstead 😉
    nowadays i dont want to break records,certainly dont want to break bones and only break sweat if it`s unavoidable!

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I’m free in the mornin, feeling awesome already…..

PS lowcogger – I love breaking sweat – but not at all keen on breaking bones, hence the mincearoonies 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

yes and yes, but not anywhere near as big as i used to, im old and frail these days 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

all depends on how much i psych myself out to begin with… if its on the track and i dont have time to over-think it i’m generally ok and will pump off them, if i have too much time to panic myself then i’ll stop myself and go round them or roll them. all in the head!

robhenry85
    Free Member

ton and steve – where are these drops? is it in the woods to the right of the Ave? comes out near a brick bridge?

ton

Steve and Chip, up for a ride anytime you want, but unable to ride tomorrow.
    at Jimmy’s at 9am for my bloods sorting.

and the ride will have to be a pootle mind….. 8)

ton

Rob, if you ride/drive in from the lights on the selby road, you come thru the main gates with the football field on your right. park there and ride along the edge of the field/trees and they are at the end of the trees on your right.
    nice little dh run to play about on for a hour or so.
    if you fancy a pootle from rothwell, we could meet steve and chip and have a ride up there.

robhenry85
    Free Member

silly me, i know where u mean. the log ones!

yer i’m always up for a ride with people! normally get fri and sat off work, but have got things on for the next few weekends. if u post up on BB mbc (or get steve to) i’ll see it 😀

lowcogger
    Free Member

PS lowcogger – I love breaking sweat – but not at all keen on breaking bones, hence the mincearoonies

i was only joking about that bit, i break sweat quite freely 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Can you jump/ride drops?’ is closed to new replies.