Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Camelbak MULE or Osprey Raptor?
  • Molds

My current bag is a Hydrapak AS (2L bladder | 3.8L compressed capacity | 5.7L unzipped).

It’s stubby (short) profile means it feels like it sits really high (so much so I don’t bother with the waist strap) and when stuffed with gear gives me the feeling I am riding with a camel hump! Plus the AS (Air Scoop) bumps to keep the pack from sitting flat on your back might help with ventilation but I can feel them pressing against me and that make me fidget all the time etc. etc. I just don’t get on with it and I’d like a bit more cargo space.

So I have been looking at the Camelbak MULE and the Osprey Raptor 10 or 14. Both bags get good reviews and are well featured. Picking one is tough though as I don’t know of anywhere on the doorstep I can go and look at the Osprey. I’m wondering if I really need as much as 10L over my current 5.7? However it could be that the main storage is not as big as it sounds because some of the L-age is made up by the smaller pockets…

Do you have one of these bags? What can you tell me about it..?

Ta

unsponsored
    Free Member

I had a MULE before moving to an Osprey Talon 11. It was the best move ever. I find that the talon sits on my back much better. I don't feel as though its getting in way as the MULE did. The additional few litres on the talon meant that I didnt need to use a larger bag for winter when carrying extra layers, as i could squeeze all of my kit into the talon at a push.

The raptor has taken many of the features of the talon and added some bits and bobs that would be useful for bikers. Reviews in the walking mags don't rate the raptor due to its distribution of volume, ie pockets for your pump, tubes etc. But they did note that for biking it would be ideal.

I have had three MULES – old and new version as well as a HAWG and Mayhem?

All are long gone and I use osprey talons for both walking and biking. I have the 11, 22 and 33.

Pinkbike on the Osprey Raptor – http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Osprey-Raptor-Pack-parts-check-2010.html

NSMB on the Osprey Raptor – http://www.nsmb.com/3499-osprey-raptor-18-pack

Jamie
    Free Member

Why not make your decision harder and look at the Dakine Nomad as well?

Bream
    Free Member

I've had a Mule for a few years now and I'm not overly impressed with it, when it finally wears out I will probably try something else.

bigsi
    Free Member

If just got shot of my MULE in favour of a Oxygen 8+ which i found on Ebay. The seller was Pearsons Cycles in Sutton and it was £39.99, brand new 😯

So much more comfy than the MULE as it sits lower on the back with longer straps and a proper waist belt arrangement. It's also got loads more useable space than the MULE i would recommend it to anyone look at that type of pack.

Del

just to throw another in – take a look at the wingnut packs.

Molds

One thing that concerns me with the Osprey is how much a replacement bladder might cost? Most of us are guilty of abusing bladders e.g. not keeping them clean…

Just realised one of the dealers is a mile down the road from where i work! They say they are getting them but not until mid March. I will probably hang on and look at them in the flesh before making a decision. Must remember to ask them about the ballder replacement cost.

KT1973
    Free Member

I have the Mule NV with the back panel and pads and I find it comfortable and big enought for everything I need to take on a day out on the bike. I always wear it and hardly notice it's there now.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Mule for shorter rides, Talon 22 for all day stuff in the wilds of Scotland here. The Talon is more comfortable and incredibly well thought out. The Mule is probably a bit tougher to withstand impacts or abrasion.

When the Mule gives up I will go with a Talon or Raptor – if the Raptor is the same as the Talon it will take any bladder

FuzzyWuzzy

Planning to get a Raptor myself as they have a few neat features, I don't think they're available yet in the UK though are they?

vondally
    Free Member

ergon and wingnut i would add to that list as well, like my osprey 33 but the ergon has out performed the wingnut for me, wingnut is great though

MRanger156
    Free Member

I want an Evoc one with back protector so the bladder doesnt dig into my back (like it does with my MULE).

tang
    Free Member

not impressed with the mule, when the bladders full theres no room for anything and the back deforms to the point of being a little uncomfortable.
    come the spring its wingnut or osprey time. try before you buy if poss, i went on good reviews for the mule rather than trying first, my mistake!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Osprey for me..

11lt one with a 3ltr Camelbak for the summer,/ Trail Centers when not much kit required..

And a 22lt one for the rest of the time..

Far superior to Camelbak IMHO…

cheers_drive

FuzzyWuzzy – Member
    Planning to get a Raptor myself as they have a few neat features, I don't think they're available yet in the UK though are they?

Fuzzywuzzy – I have a test one if you want to borrow.
    It's very good with lot's of nice features like waist wing pockets a great bladder design and is very secure. Only concern is how well the material would hold up over time.

kimbers

not tried either but very impressed with my nomad so far

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Has the Nomad been discontinued, I can't find one anywhere in the UK, well, a white one and a girls one is all I can find .. any leads?

erny
    Free Member

Have a look at the northface hammerhead

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Have a look at the northface hammerhead

+1

aldomac
    Free Member

I have the Mule NV with the back panel and pads and I find it comfortable and big enought for everything I need to take on a day out on the bike. I always wear it and hardly notice it's there now.

Does the NV stop the sweaty back syndrom? I have a Dueter Exp with the suspension harness and it really makes a difference to the amount you sweat, previous bags left clothing saturated whereas now I'm almost dry. Bags(Camelbak?) that trap the heat are a catch 22: more heat = more sweat = more drink.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

As above the Northface Hammerhead is good, had a Mule and moved onto the Hammerhead.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

MULE NV for me. Great for those big days in the Lakes/Peaks. I've been using Camelbaks for years.Can't see the point in using owt else.

Molds

Osprey bladder replacement cost, I've been quoted: –

2L (complete) – £24
    3L (complete) – £26
    Hose & Bite Valve only – £10

It's a bit more than a typical Hydrapak / Camelbak but not so much as to be uncompetitive.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Camelbak MULE or Osprey Raptor?’ is closed to new replies.