Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Calling all veggies.
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

apologies if i’m talking BS. it wouldn’t be the first time. 😳

I think i need to re-read the book i recommended!

jamiea
    Free Member

Cheesey chips. That’s what all the veggies I’ve know seem to survive on.

Cheers,
    Jamie

thewanderer
    Free Member

I’ve been veggie for… umm.. something like 12 years now. I must admit however I’m finding it more difficult. Not so much because I want to eat meat but because I want to eat more healthily.

I’ve been trying to avoid grains, fruit, dairy products and sugar ala i-diet / paleo.

Now I eat a lot of roasted veg with quinoa/lentils and to be honest it’s getting boring. Any ideas on what I can eat to stay veggie but not fall down the bread, sugar and cheese trap?

LHS
    Free Member

Asian food is amazing for being vegetarian. Anything Thai brings in great taste and good nutrition. Thai currys, stir-frys etc. Indian food is similar. Also good mexican food. This brings in good salsa, avoacados, veg, a bit of sour cream if you want etc.

dazh

Is this…

I want to eat more healthily.

…compatible with this?

I’ve been trying to avoid grains, fruit, dairy products and sugar ala i-diet / paleo.

What does ‘healthy’ actually mean anyway?

zilog6128

In this sense it means consuming food that the body has evolved to eat rather than modern farmed grains/dairy, processed fats/sugars, out of season/region fruit, etc. Obviously there are some assumptions/guesswork/etc that come with this theory.

thewanderer
    Free Member

Well that’s the question.

I know plenty of fat vegetarians. Without meat as a filler it is easy to eat excessive amounts of dairy, grains and other carbs.

Personally, I eat crazily healthy but I’d like to drop my body fat. I’m just finding things a bit boring and am interested in any ones suggestions for keeping paleo veg interesting

brassneck

Again a myth. There is more iron in things like squash, pumpkin seeds and nuts than there is in meat. Lentils have the same percentage content of Iron as meat. (There are differences between heme and non-heme sources of iron, heme is easier to absorb but non-heme is better regulated and better for the body.)

True dat. Eat with OJ to aid absorbtion.

I’ve yet to be convinced anyone can eat too much fruit, in its standard form (i.e. not smoothies).

winston_dog
    Free Member

grains, fruit, dairy products and sugar

Grains and sugar/carb are the real reasons the western world is so fat.

Sugar is a carb. Carb makes you fat.

zilog6128

All plant-based proteins have all of them. They differ in the amounts, so by combining them your body has the ability to make protein.
    Your body finds it easier to get these amino acids from plants than it does from eggs, dairy and meat.

You often hear “lack of protein/iron” talked about with respect to veggie diets but as mentioned it’s a bit of a red herring (as stated). What about fats though (EFAs)? Do most veggies know about/consider them at all?

I’ve yet to be convinced anyone can eat too much fruit

Gives me the shits 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm I suspect some veggie propaganda is creeping into the science here.. Just call it a hunch 🙂

LHS
    Free Member

For your essential fatty acids you can get all your Omega 6 sources from veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, grains.

For Omega 3 it is similar sources – leafy greens, seeds specifically sunflower, pumpkin and flaxseeds.

winston_dog
    Free Member

I’ve yet to be convinced anyone can eat too much fruit

Why not? Some of it is full of sugar. e.g. grapes are 18% sugar, so if you ate 200g you get the equivalent of more than 6 teaspoons of sugar.

That is quite significant.

miketually
    Free Member

I ate a whole bag of dried apricots in a morning once; my body decided that was definitely too much fruit. #ApricotJamPoo

kayak23

Hmm I suspect some veggie propaganda is creeping into the science here

Make a change from meat/dairy propaganda let’s face it.
    Had that shoved down our throats since childhood.
    The purpose of this thread is evidence of that.
    Be nice to have some balance 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Had that shoved down our throats since childhood.

We did?

andypaul99
    Free Member

Sugar is a carb. Carb makes you fat.

Every cell in the body works off Sugars, without it you would be dead. Proccessed foods that are high in sugar and fats are the ones that make you fat. You wont get fat by eating bananas and dates.

The alternative to sugars are fatty acids, which will also make you fat and give you long term health problems..ie high cholestorol

See how far you get on your next bikeride without carbs..

zilog6128

The alternative to sugars are fatty acids, which will also make you fat and give you long term health problems..ie high cholestorol

hmmm…

winston_dog
    Free Member

You wont get fat by eating bananas and dates

Oh yes you will. Dates are about 60% sugar.

molgrips
    Free Member

anydpaul – balance.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Dr Atkins is a fine example of a low carb diet, look him up.

The Medical Examiner`s report had a hand-written note that Atkins had a history of myocardial infarction (heart attack), congestive heart failure, and hypertension (written “h/o MI, CHF, HTN”). The above Committee made much of this and began the rumor that Atkins had “died of his own diet”.

zilog6128

Not that I agree particularly with the Dr Atkins (although in fact the modern “Atkins” is more similar to the iDiet now rather than what Dr Atkins devised) he certainly didn’t die from it, unless the diet made him slip on ice and bang his head.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dr Atkins is a fine example of a low carb diet, look him up.

So he didn’t practice what he preached. Does that make his diet wrong?

andypaul99
    Free Member

So he didn’t practice what he preached. Does that make his diet wrong?

For me yes, if i follow and pay into an individuals diet they should be leading by example. Or stop.

andypaul99
    Free Member

he certainly didn’t die from it, unless the diet made him slip on ice and bang his head.

When he died he was clinically obeese and weighed 117Kg. So yes, he hit his head, and yes he was very overweight.

molgrips
    Free Member

For me yes, if i follow and pay into an individuals diet they should be leading by example.

That’s ridiculous.

If I say stuffing your face with cakes and sweets is likely to make you fat, then I go and stuff my face, does that make my assertion wrong? No of course not.

If a doctor tells you smoking is bad for you, and he himself smokes – is he wrong? No, smoking is still bad for you.

aP
    Free Member

Sometimes, just occasionally, some people really need to step away from the keyboard.

miketually
    Free Member

See how far you get on your next bikeride without carbs..

151km was my biggest ride while eating iDave-style. There were some carbs in the mini pork pies, diluted apple juice and some cherries but not a huge number.

andypaul99
    Free Member

151km was my biggest ride while eating iDave-style. There were some carbs in the mini pork pies, diluted apple juice and some cherries but not a huge number.

Nice one

Total carbs in that lot equates to around 332g, which is probably about right. I dont know how much you weigh, but for a 151km ride i would say thats about the right amount. And im also assuming for the time it took, you were riding at an aerobic pace, so there would be fat burning thrown into the mix.

If i did that same ride however i would swap the pork pies for dates, which have roughly the same carbs as the pie per date, but with none of the fats and preserves.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

When I was a vegetarian I had no problems as a vegan I have to think about it a bit more.

My advice would be.

Breakfast – Muesli(I go with the ones with the most nuts) with banana you can mix it into porridge if you need extra carbs.

Lunch – Standard issue sandwiches, soup and bread, couscous, rice, pasta salads.

Dinner – Pasta dishes, rice dishes, couscous dishes, noodles, stir fry, green curry.

Wheat isn’t a complete protein neither is regular rice but soya and hemp are so eating those is good. Pulses and beans are excellent source of protein and minerals. I think it is important to try and eat 7 portions of fruit or veg a day. Some of the meat substitutes are ok taste wise but some are quite high in fats, others that have high protein often also have high wheat content so if you eat them with pasta dish you are really eating wheat with more wheat….

emsz
    Free Member

I don’t eat meat because its vile. I do eat eggs and drink milk, couldn’t give a monkeys if that confuses people

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course, we now know that fat isn’t necessarily a bad thing in your diet, and higher amounts can in fact be beneficial……..

<backs slowly out of room>

Junkyard
    Free Member

gets wedged in the door and grumbles about expenses

winston_dog
    Free Member

Of course, we now know that fat isn’t necessarily a bad thing in your diet, and higher amounts can in fact be beneficial……..

molgrips – you have got no chance of the vast majority of people believing this. They have been subject to year of marketing from big agribusiness and think that everyone should eat huge amounts processed grains.

molgrips
    Free Member

There are other advantages to eating lots of starch though, I’ve noticed. They fill you up cheaply. Not so long ago this was a major concern even in the West.

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Calling all veggies.’ is closed to new replies.