Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)
  • Calling all veggies.
  • luddite
    Free Member

As my youngest son doesn’t like most types of meat, what veg’s are going to fill in for the protein, minerals etc he’s missing out on?
    That won’t be straight forward though as he’s bloomin fussy about what veg he’ll eat as well!

campkoala
    Free Member

milk

tragically1969
    Free Member

A 10 second google search suggests:

Asparagus

Per serving, asparagus delivers over 3g of protein. This lanky, green vegetable is extremely versatile, as it can be boiled, grilled, steamed or fried.

Cauliflower

Excellent in curries and soups and equally appealing eaten mashed or as a steamed side dish; not only is cauliflower versatile and healthy but it contains 3g of protein per serving.
    Broccoli and Brussels Sprouts

Tying for fourth place are two more examples of healthy, green vegetables: broccoli and brussels sprouts. Both of these vegetables are protein-rich, low in fat and easily prepared; making them ideal side-dishes.

Artichoke

Artichoke is another vegetable that is high on the list when it comes to protein content. Serving up just under 3g of protein per serving, artichokes are an excellent addition to pasta, salads and soups and provide an earthy, intense flavour.

Watercress

Tiny yet surprisingly rich in protein, watercress is next on the list. Per 100g serving, watercress delivers almost 3g of protein, which, for its size, renders it an excellent source of the nutrient. Perfect for salads, soups and sandwiches, watercress can easily find its way into your diet.

Sweetcorn

It might be slightly more calorific than the other vegetables listed here, but sweetcorn also has its benefits: Per serving, it contains almost 3g of protein and is a delicious addition to many popular recipes.

kayak23

Nuts, pulses, leafy greens, lentils.

tragically1969
    Free Member

As my youngest son doesn’t like most types of meat, what veg’s are going to fill in for the protein, minerals etc he’s missing out on?

Oh, and if he has a decent balanced vegetation diet he won’t be “missing out” on anything much, meat isn’t the be all and end all of protein and minerals…..

andypaul99
    Free Member

A balanced fruit and veg diet will tick all the protien boxes, a common mistake for esp new vegans is not taking in enough carbs in a day, if you calculate the carbs daily, almost by default you will also tick the protien box.

geoffj

A balanced fruit and veg diet will tick all the protien boxes, a common mistake for esp new vegans is not taking in enough carbs in a day, if you calculate the carbs daily, almost by default you will also tick the protien box.

This ^

project
    Free Member

Meals out will be a nightmare as will breakfasts at hotels,not many vegatarian takeaway options, no pies or bacon butties, as youll be braanded eveil for killing animals for food, then it will be followed by no cheese ,milk only sya stuff,no cream not even ice cream.

Best see if some tree hugging,veggie will adopt him, bag of lentils should swing the deal.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Chicken.? Chicken is veggie right.?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Nuts, pulses, leafy greens, lentils

This – its not hard to get protein tbh.
    Baked beans on toast – job done!
    i would be more concerned about getting a good mix of veg tbh if he is fussy for minerals and vitamins etc than I would be concerned about protein – eggs cheese . milk , quorn etc
    They only need crica 50 gramms so a packet of bourbons will do it 😉

Meals out will be a nightmare

Very few places do not have a veggie option – very few have a vegan option sadly that was the peak of accuracy in your post – does eating meat affect your IQ? 😈

I think folk over worry about this when folk go veggies but read up its not that big a concern tbh

vondally
    Free Member

as above and add

TOFU…… some pretty good stuff

eggs……protein city

Pulses…..lots of options

Harry_the_Spider

Meals out will be a nightmare

Cobblers.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Project you are either speaking from a timewarp back in the late 70s or speaking bollocks.

Eating out is dead easy these days, plenty of veggie options even in McDs and quite often it is the nicer option on the menu.

Plenty of options available – been veggie for 28yrs and we are all veggie including the hulking monster teenagers in filling up the lounge at the moment.

Andypaul99 is spot on.

miketually
    Free Member

My eldest isn’t veggie, but is fussy about eating meat. We found that she will eat mince, so that might be worth trying.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You could probably trick them as easily with veggie mince if you wish to respect their choices.

To be clear I doubt mike meant trick a veggie.

roper
    Free Member

This site has some imaginative and good recipes. Lots of cakes too if he has a sweet tooth.
    http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

project
    Free Member

Very few places do not have a veggie option –

very few have a vegan option sadly that was the peak of accuracy in your post – does eating meat affect your IQ?

No. stupid comment

Project you are either speaking from a timewarp back in the late 70s or speaking bollocks.

Eating out is dead easy these days, plenty of veggie options even in McDs and quite often it is the nicer option on the menu.

The above was based on the workmate i work with, veggie, want eat meat,pies,bacon,etc milk, chocolate and cheese.

so its chips and beans or veggie curry then.

and point blank refuses to enter the chavfifedom of mcdonalds, so thats out, also not many small cafes round where we work do vegie options, and if i buy a pie immade to feel like a third class killer, an animal died to provide with that pie blah, blah , blah.

robbo
    Free Member

I think Project is saying it’ll be a nightmare for Dad as he’ll have to join in! My daughter is veggie and I hardly eat any meat now. Try it it’s fine

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ah right so your sample size is one then and a vegan not a veggie.

That sure disproved the IQ comment 😉

miketually
    Free Member

To be clear I doubt mike meant trick a veggie.

Yep, it was a suggestion for meat for someone who’s not keen on meat but isn’t a veggie.

wiggles
    Free Member

Give him steak

hora
    Free Member

OP fish is quite good. Most Vegetarians eat that.

Harry_the_Spider

OP fish is quite good. Most Vegetarians eat that.

Cobblers.

onewheelgood

Nice trolling Hora. Precisely zero vegetarians eat fish.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Does he not like the taste of meat or is it the look/idea of eating animals?

That Quorn stuff in my opinion doesn’t taste like meant at all but has a decent amount of protein in it and if it seems bland (which it really is!) then you can cover it in sauce.

Most people eat way more protein than they really need anyhow.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

After a couple of days without food he’ll be only too eager to eat meat.

maccruiskeen

does eating meat affect your IQ?

No.

But we haven’t given up hope that one day it will 😉

As others have said plenty of vegetable matter contains protein. If you’re son is eating absolutely no meat/fish then the only note is essential amino acids. We can synthesis all the proteins we need from the protein we eat but there are a few of building blocks we can’t synthesise/convert so they need to be in the diet. So its important to get a range of veg because (with the exception of Quinoa IIRC) there aren’t many veg that give all those essential ones in a oner. Its not overly complicated just make sure there some of each of these types food going down the cake hole –
    grains/cereals,
    nuts,
    eggs,
    dairy,
    beans/peas
    and in addition soya in one of its myriad forms.

You don’t need to get all that in one meal or one day, or probably even one week but so long as theres bits of all of that most of the time you should be good.

If he’s so fussy that he won’t it most of that then things like Whey protein are formulated so that they have all the Essentials in there.

sparkingchains
    Free Member
    Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

After a couple of days without food he’ll be only too eager to eat meat.

+1000000000000000000000000000000

cloudnine
    Free Member

What… He doesn’t even like bacon?

vdubber67
    Free Member

Hummus ftw

maccruiskeen

Hummus ftw

The thinking man’s Ketchup 🙂

weare138
    Free Member

A vegetarian that is fussy about what vegetable he eats…? Jeepers. Guava halves?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it may affect IQ but thankfully it does not affect humour

maccruiskeen

A vegetarian that is fussy about what vegetable he eats

no

As my youngest son doesn’t like most types of meat

not a vegetarian, just not a big fan of some meat it seams. To be frank most people eat too much meat out of laziness and lack of imagination so he’s probably on the right track (until he discovers roast duck)

Cougar

What’s wrong with milk?

It’s got plenty of protein in it, and is good for growing cows children by definition.

beefheart
    Free Member

winston_dog
    Free Member

I am very confused by veggies who don’t eat meat because they think it’s wrong to kill animals for food but still drink milk.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hold on. The kid’s not going to be vegan, is he? Just veggie.

Does he like milk, cheese, eggs? If so, sorted.

andypaul99
    Free Member

Drinking Milk confuses me, with the exception of Babies feeding from their Mothers lm not sure why grown adults feel the need to suckle from a cow?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Calling all veggies.’ is closed to new replies.