Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • calling all film makers
  • Mike_T

Guys

i have hrs of .mov files shot with a contour HD helemt cam, i need to edit them and want to use windows movie maker, does any one know what codec i need for WMM to play .mov files?

Before you respond and sugest converting it to an avi, i’v tried this, the play back is jerky and it increases the file size by around a 100 times.

Any help guys

cheers mike

geoffj

Before you respond and sugest converting it to an avi, i’v tried this, the play back is jerky and it increases the file size by around a 100 times.

I’d suggest a different way of converting the files. There are plenty of different options out there.

IA

Try Virtualdub for converting files. Read up on codecs etc a bit. Assuming WMM can handle h264 (if it can’t give up on it) you probably just need to change the container to an avi and NOT re-encode the video.

I’d try and find something that can edit your presumably h264 mov files natively though, as if you have to re-encode (rather than just change the container) then it’ll take you HOURS before you can even start editing and you’ll take a quality hit.

“Converting to an AVI” is a fairly meaningless phrase. You have a few components to a video. The container format (in this example either avi or mov), the codec (used to encode the vide) and the audio codec.

A video file’s a container + video codec + audio codec. If you *must* use WMM, let us know which codecs and containers it supports.

Mike_T

Cheers IA, on a learning curve so i’ll try your suggestions and spend some time googling

Some guys on the contour forum have suggested WMM can edit mov files, but you have to download the full kilite pack. I’v done this, doesn’t work unless I’ve downloaded the incorrect one.

When I get chance i’ll post an update.

My reasons For per suing the WMM is I don’t want to fork out for software, but if all else fails it’ll prob have to be sonyvagas, unless Anyone else has a suggestion.

davy-g
    Free Member

free converter http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Rad_Video_Tools bear in mind that you may lose some quality during the conversion…

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I use software called prism to convert almost everything I shoot of it’s to be used in windowz headache maker. Works a treat for me.

Mike_T

took the easy option guys and downloaded the trial version of sonyvage might as weel shell out and use this:

cheers anyways

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘calling all film makers’ is closed to new replies.