Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • CALL for Mid Wiltshire, Devizes, Salisbury plain area riders…
  • MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hi Guys and Girls,

Girlfriend and I have just moved to just south of Devizes and are in need of some help in finding some local trails, routes and places to ride, (not to far to travel)or even goups/clubs etc. who ride during the week and at at weekends. Oh we both ride, MTB XC mainly. Bit of AM,DH and a bit of the darkside now and then

I still have to email SPAM club, just missed the evening ride.
    SO any info would be great Oh and names of some good shops be good as well.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Headington Steps? (Devizes)
    The Ridgeway – Barbary Castle to West Overton (easy)
    (to) The Wansdyke, Alton Barnes then Westwoods, Lockeridge (the woods is much fun)
    Savernake Forest, Marlborough (easy)
    The Croft Trail – Swindon

that should keep you occupied for a bit 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks Mr Nutt, google maps here I come….

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Mr Nut, a dumb Question, headington steps, (I thought it was to do with the canal locks) I can find a Headington, North of Devizes, but not the steps bit..lol…what sort of riding is it?
    Yes planning to go check out the ridgeway, Is there much singletrack at Svernake forest? can I go in and ride around or is there trail markings? not to clear on the website

slowoldgit
    Free Member

oops. listed the spambiking website and then read your post properly. Anyway, its…

http://www.spambiking.co.uk

in case anyone else can use it

tomstickland
    Free Member

Take a look at http://www.mbswindon.co.uk

We hold rides every Friday at Croft Trail (Swindon), plus organise local and away rides every month.

Coming up:
    Wyre Forest (Kidderminster) on Sunday 15th
    30 mile Ridgeway ride next Saturday (21st)
    North Wales August bank holiday weekend.
    Forest of Dean 5th September.

We get around 25 riders on the Friday evenings and a decent turnout at the pub afterwards too.

http://www.mbswindon.co.uk/events/

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just south of Devizes is Erlestoke, some good riding in and around there (though MOD might be closing it? boo). There is some legitimate DH stuff on leased land near tidworth, but It's not really free access. Email me if you want to know more. I ride in the Salisbury area almost every day, could show you some loops around there. It's nothing too exciting tho.

Bike shop, personal favourite is Stonehenge Cycles in Salisbury.

Welcome to the Shire 🙂

awh
    Free Member

though MOD might be closing it?

What have you heard?

Gilles

though MOD might be closing it?

Yes we need to know what's going on over there?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just what was written on here somewhere. Probably bullshit like most of it 🙂 Glad you're on the thread Gilles, the ride we did with you from Westbury was ace, and should suit the OP, no?

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Bunch of that regions riders coming down to the Big Bike Bash if you want to meet them next weekend.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

thanks Guys,
    Tom, croft trail worth checking out, looks like a mini trail center?

Richpenny, I sent you a email, I sure I have been to Erlestoke, done a few races there, SAMS, sourthern

bigbikebash, sorry not going to make it that weekend, as we racing the last round of the southern. Shame looks like fun.

Rob

RichPenny
    Free Member

Just a thought, can you make the mendip ride tomorrow?

Anna-B
    Free Member

Plus, I was in Pewsey Vale yesterday for work, and it looks like it might be good for biking… any one know? And want to organise a ride there? Gilles….? 🙂

tomstickland
    Free Member

We've got an epic ridgeway ride on Sat 21st Aug.

Croft Trail is a 5.2km loop of tight single track. There are several kicker jumps, a few bits of woodwork, bermed corners, a log ride and some rock spines too. We've spent about two years bringing it up to standard and we've got another year at least before we'll start to think it's getting there.
    I've been riding it every Friday night on the group rides and I'm not bored yet.
    It will eventually be 6km, which will be three times as long as the perimeter of the site!

We want the trail to be a good for what it is. It's never going to be a downhill track or a national centre. Just somewhere that's worth a visit if you're in the area or live nearby.

Mbswindon has riders of all abilities- there are some really experienced people as well as novices. Between us we've ridden pretty much every trail centre in the UK and several elsewhere too.

The rides have been a lot of fun – we've got a really good, social atmoshphere. No bike snobbery.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Rich, thanks for the ino, just bit late in spotting it!

Tom I think I going to be making a few trips to Swindon! I try and make Fri night and Sat ride looks good so hope to show my face for that as well.
    Had a more time to check out MBS website, good info etc looks like a lot of work been done on craft trail, think I need to check it out!
    Rob

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Janesy
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

drop me a mail if you're swindon way I'll show you around 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry you didn't make the Mendip ride. I enjoy showing people around the area so email me if you want a ride around here on a weekend, I may be around.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Jansey I have to check it out.

Thanks Mr Nut, can't make fri night ride now, but still hope to go on the Sat ride.

Buzz I take you up on that, have to find a weekend that my g/f free as well, she racing Sunday and I am in Bath doing sky ride.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘CALL for Mid Wiltshire, Devizes, Salisbury plain area riders…’ is closed to new replies.