Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Buying a chainsaw-advice
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

Does anyone else get that “wish I’d never opened my mouth” feeling when they post on here?

Ask about Superstar brake pads then ….. never again

clump
    Free Member

Timber and Sqweezzzz
    Thank you both for your PROFESSIONAL input.
    Tree 1 CHERRY trunk 6ft high, max diameter 8-9″, been lopped in the past so branches no more than 3″ thick at top of that, which I had planned to take off first. in middle of a lawn nothing in range of value, want to take roots out so was going to Mattock them out and then fell the trunk.
    Tree 2 Lai Landii, 16ft high but with no growth on one side(…friendly neighbour) 10″ trunk small branches, similar approach planned.
    What do you think?

Kuco

To be honest you could do all that with a decent bow/silky saw, Just be a bit of labour involved.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clump
    Free Member

Probably, but my 13 year old nephew wants a go on a chain saw.

lights blue touch paper and stands back 😆

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

Dig them out axe/mattock roots use full hieght to pull/push them over and cut them up after as the man said could be done with big bowsaw if your feeling healthy. Oh and dont touch any wood covered in soil with a chainsaw it just blunts them.

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

Let him have a go after he’s dug the stumps out 😉

timber

As a forester, I tend to take them at the ankles rather than climb.
    consider where the bulk of your weight is and any lean the tree may have, weight higher up has more effect as it is further away, basic lever principle kind of thing. If you have the space to work with the dominant direction, go with it – if not, you need someone more experienced.

Tree 1 method, does not sound like a good idea. Avoid working at height if you don’t need to and taking roots out before the trunk would make things far too unpredictable. Roots will go a long way and make a big hole if you do manage to remove the stump, would consider a stump grinder or leaving a big enough stump to pull with a mini digger, but not too small, you’ll need the power – not looking so cheap, could just trim stump right to floor?

Tree 2, again I wouldn’t want to climb if not needed, this sounds like a straight tree and a straight fell. Guessing weight of branches is on your side so will come into your garden as long as the tip isn’t angled out over your neighbours.

Take this all as a vague guess, couldn’t be accurate unless I stood in your garden. Tree surgeons are for tight spaces where you don’t want things hit and for surgery works.

As Kuco says, this job sounds doable with a decent pruning saw such as a silky and some effort. pruning saws are very efficient and would be safer to climb with, or you could even get one on a pole to avoid climbing. Not a bad idea actually, about £50 will get you a pro grade one. These are shrubs in the scale of things and a Silky is an awesome trail saw.

timber

I first used a saw on a friends farm at 15, farmers choice of saw is a big one ‘because it’ll do everything’ and ‘if its new it don’t need oil and if it old its not worth it’ approach to maintenance, PPE was steel toe wellies and jeans rather than shorts – things have progressed in 10 years

grahamofredmarley
    Free Member

Used a good number of both Stihls & Huskies. Stihls good plodder, reliable etc. Husky bit quicker cutting speed but constantly keep a good check on your chain oil levels.

Generally I prefer the Husky.

Also, if you cutting up logs get a good stand with a chain strap

Kuco

We find Huskys to fragile at work and as soon as the bar hits the water they just want to pack up where the Stihls would keep going. I admit cutting clean wood the Husky’s are nice to use.

timber

thats funny, had the opposite experience, found Husqys had better water performance, didn’t suck in as much water in such catastrophic ways

Stihl runs with a slow thump, whilst Husqvarna is a more contant high rev gutsy run. Borrowed a Makita Dolmar 72cc 28″ and was amazed by the accelleration twitch 😯

clump
    Free Member

Sounds a lot like the 26er/29er discussion.
    Thanks for all the input. Will keep in touch. It has been nice knowing you all if we never speak again.

z1ppy

Even a brand new Ryobi can’t cut a decent size log in half in a straight line… we had a ‘pro’ sharpen the chain and he said it was just complete rubbish, and the pitch was wrong to be able to fit a proper one..

Now he loved my chainsaw, a Stihl pruning saw, only got a 12″ blade (more than big enough), he reckon’s there the most dangerous things going, as it small enough to operate one handed.
    Reckons you can’t buy then now them now with out a license, even offered to buy it off me!
    Not bad for a chainsaw found in a ditch in the woods by a m8 (no contractors working the wood at the time), his missus wouldn’t let him keep it.

Kuco

z1ppy I think your on about a MS200T they now do it with a rear handle. As you say a lovely little saw but very dangerous if used incorrectly.

z1ppy

could well be (tis in the garage hidden away, so not going to check), still goes like stink, bought down 15x 40ft lalandi the other year with it (had help from the pathetic ryobi).
    Not bad for a dodgy old saw, see size isn’t everything (that what I keep telling the missus anyways).

clump
    Free Member

Just to let you all know (‘cos I know that you will be worried) that I am still alive.
    Was not allowed to get a chainsaw (Wife after she read all the replies) but thanks for the Silky advice, think that it might have been just as quick. I do however now have the right arm of a single man. Which is nice.
    Still need a (OVER)power tool to fully vent my frustrations.

JB405
    Free Member

Bottom line:

If your posting on here for advice about felling trees, don’t bother doing it yourself, get somebody in who knows what they’re doing!

I’ve been using chainsaws for over 15 years and have seen some amazing sites involving inexperienced users. Get the training, equipment and know how before you use them!

I actually think you should have to have a licence to buy a chainsaw!

clump
    Free Member

Didn’t (initially) ask for advice on felling trees.
    Didn’t ask for advice on using a chainsaw.
    Probably should have a licence to use a chainsaw, but why to buy one?. But then we should probably have a licence and insurance to ride a bike, but not to own one.
    Is that sites i.e. websites or building sites, or sights as in things you have seen?

Kuco

LOL clump glad your still alive 🙂

clump
    Free Member

and kicking.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Buying a chainsaw-advice’ is closed to new replies.