Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Buying a 26er now – bad move?
  • Waderider
    Free Member

When I come to replace my 26 incher good luck to them if they think I’m buying a steam roller.

I worked through uni as a bike mechanic and had access to all sorts of machinery, and I don’t buy into all this wheel size ersing about. It’s tinkering mainly for sales growth, and choice is good, but why not smaller wheels for their benefits – better acceleration, less gyroscopic steering effect, more ability to alter frame geometry, accommodate suspension gubbins, or even fit panniers, racks and frame bags etc.

Euro
    Free Member

It’s all about the roll centre to CoG relationship. The closer they are together the more stability a vehicle has and they are usually closer together on a 29″.

JCL, i understand what you are getting at, but even a bmx going 30mph+ isn’t particularly unstable and they [insert pseudo-physics waffle here]. Just how fast were you going on your 26 inch wheeled bike that you felt instability issues? 50? 60? 70mph?

To the OP, buying a 26 isn’t a bad move, but maybe buying that particular 26 is? The type of riding that Trek is aimed at falls into the bigger wheels might actually work a little better category, and looking at the Trek lineup for 2014, i don’t see any 26ers (Session excluded) so frame spares might be an issue.

Specialized (boo…hiss…yawn) as others are i’m sure, are still doing the Stumpy Evo in 26 and i’d spend 2.5k of my money on that without hesitation.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

A fuel 9.anything will be a riot. be prepared to spend some of the money you saved getting brakes, bb and shocks back to spec though.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

With reference to the Trek Fuel, I recently had a customer in with a pringled wheel from one of those and there were no replacement rims anywhere to be found. He was prepared to pay for a complete wheel but no-one had the same colours. He ended up changing both wheels so the bike still looked matched.
    I don’t think that’s any indication that DT Swiss are phasing out 26 inch, just that they’re crap at spares availability for anything much more than a year old.

loddrik
    Free Member

Whereas I ride an ibis mojo, current mojo frame costs minimum £1800 rrp
    i bought a titus fireline 29er for £700 us people with “too much ” disposable income possibly are clever with their money and DONT pay top dollar and follow the latest fashion or make stupid statements like that

🙄

Exhibit A…

Lester
    Free Member

Exhibit A
    another daft answer

i have had the mojo frame for 6 years and i paid £700 (even though i had more disposable income available and could have bought a new one) and it was like new, ive ridden it every week nearly and the frame is still worth at least £500, but i dont intend to sell it ever.

if you hope to win the case with exhibit a as an example im glad you are not my solicitor

and if you check my forum activity you will see i paid £1600 for my whole hd mojo bike which is NOT a 650b so i didnt get sucked in there.
    the thing is about having too much disposable income is, you have the choice of what you do with it, like buying over priced forks say

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for adjustable diameter wheels before I commit.

duir
    Free Member

I’m still waiting for adjustable diameter wheels before I commit.

😆

You mean a sort of dropper post device for wheels? Push the lever and get any one of 3 positions, 26″, 27.5″ and 29″!

Seriously though, get the 26″, the industry will realize sales are down with all this wheel size rubbish and re-invent 26″ again within 3 years.

They ran out of ideas to make us buy a new 26″ every year so they went to work on the wheels. Then to stop making 26″ all together to enforce 27.5″ on new bike owners is the pits. I really hope it backfires and there sales are massively down.

Stay 26″, the parts will be around for the 3 years it takes the industry to get back to what most riders actually want, 26″.

Crell
    Free Member

Hope not. Bought a liteville 301 and will be running it as a 26er rather than a 650b as a new build (not swapping bits around). I suppose I’ve hedged my bets (by coincidence) but given the number of 26ers around there’s a market for spares there (Rims and tyres) that’ll keep going for years.

rp16v
    Free Member

Recently picked up a second hand 26″ trance as I didn’t want a new 29er the stock level of 26″ rims/ tyres will be around for allot longer than I will be 😆

JCL
    Free Member

JCL, i understand what you are getting at, but even a bmx going 30mph+ isn’t particularly unstable and they [insert pseudo-physics waffle here]. Just how fast were you going on your 26 inch wheeled bike that you felt instability issues? 50? 60? 70mph?

Depends on the trail doesn’t it? If it’s rowdy enough 10mph is more than enough to feel the extra stability. Say you’re cornering over some chunder and the back end steps out. In a number of situations like that I’d have been on my arse if I was riding a 26″ regardless of the head angle, tires etc.

I’m not dissing 26″ in the slightest and guys like Graves can adapt and go pretty much as fast as possible on any trail no matter what they’re riding. But for an old chump Ike me, I can go way quicker on a good (not all) 29″.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wold have thought it would be a great idea. Actually this year the piss-taking with 29ers seems to have abated with better offers than last year.

So the other bargain may be 29ers (think Giant) and when demand for 650bs proves disappointing you can smile the marketing spin for how 29ers are still ok!!!

roverpig

Depends on the trail doesn’t it? If it’s rowdy enough 10mph is more than enough to feel the extra stability. Say you’re cornering over some chunder and the back end steps out. In a number of situations like that I’d have been on my arse if I was riding a 26″ regardless of the head angle, tires etc

I’m not trying to be argumentative, but my experience is the opposite. I crash my (XC) 29er more than my 26″ (trail) bike. The 29er is faster, but when it goes wrong it goes wrong quickly. With the 26″ bike it can be all over the place, but somehow I still stay upright. Of course that is just my two bikes. I’m sure there are great 29er trail bikes as well, but all those DH folk still seem to be able to ride 26″ bikes on trails that are much more rowdy than anything I’d ever attempt at speeds of which I’d never dream.

JCL
    Free Member

Well to make a comparison the bikes have to be designed for a similar use. You can’t compare a 26″ AM bike with a 29″ HT.

26″ DH bikes have a lot more BB drop than the average 26″ trail bike when sag is taken into consideration. That’s why (to me at least) a fairly slack 29″ trail bike has closer ride characteristics to a DH bike than a 26″ trail bike.

chestrockwell

Stay 26″, the parts will be around for the 3 years it takes the industry to get back to what most riders actually want, 26″.

Think you’ll be waiting longer then 3 years as most riders (outside the STW bubble) want the latest thing which is 650b. Either that or they don’t care and will buy what’s in stock or what the sales person tells them is best.

The only people really bothered are those who like to build up bikes from bits they have or want to buy a new frame but stick old parts on it. Unfortunately the powers that be don’t care about you as you don’t buy enough or make them enough money. There’s also not enough of you to make a difference. I should say ‘us’ really as I like arsing around with different bits but tbh I’m not worried about parts drying up any time soon and if I buy a new bike I’ll just get 650b or another 29er. You all say 650b’s no different to 26″ anyway. 😉

OP- If you like the bike go for it. That seems a good saving and it’ll still be ace, 26, 27.5 or 29″.

kelvin

the marketing spin for how 29ers are still ok!!!

Well, 29ers are still ok! As are 26ers*
    Good to have a third option as well.

Back to the original post…. when getting any “previous model” in the sales, think/ask about the support for that model from the manufacturer, esp if buying carbon and bouncy. If it starts to come apart a few years down the line, you want to know that there are spare parts available. Getting spare frame parts would be more of a concern then whether you can get new rims/tyres/forks, because, well, you will be able to get them from sources other than the original manufacturers if need be.

*get used to people having to say that now

Jeffus
    Free Member

My 3 month old 26er was awesome to ride today, trails where very much alive and very windy 😀

DanW
    Free Member

considering times seem to be a changing with 27.5 and 29

*Considering the marketing men are telling us to buy 29ers… no wait they don’t suit everyone or bring the trails alive like we first said… so let’s er… push 650B as it’s something different but still like 26*

and the fact it is a 2012 model

Not at all relevant!

is it a bit if of a false economy trying to get it? I’d hope to get at least 5yrs out if it

Not at all false economy! How is buying a 26er possible bad economy? In 5 years it’ll be worth the same as any other 5 year old bike (i.e. it should hopefully be pretty damned used by then). We’ve had a few years of the 29er push and manufacturers are doing a bit of a U-Turn with now largely pushing 650B instead. A few more years of manufacturer indecision will keep 26er component sales alive and chances are we’ll go full circle in 3-5 years and just stick to 26ers (or stubbornly insist on 650B just to not go back to 26). Real question is, is 29/ 650B a poor investment for the future 😉

singlecrack
    Free Member

Just buy the bike that suites your riding the best…

which should be 26″ wheels …but with large tyres ….”FATBIKE” init

mtbtomo
    Free Member

If its a Trek, I don’t think there will be any isue with spares / warranty support regardless of wheel size. They’re a big company with a reputation to keep – imagine how many Treks there are already out in the world with 26″ wheels.

What frame spares are you likely to need? Fuels aren’t especially known for breakages and the bearings are lifetime warrantied now aren’t they?

26″ wheels and tyres will be available for years.

Bigger wheels or not, the limiting factor unless you’re a pro, is always the rider.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Was seriously considering going to 29er, was testing the water with selling this
    Transition Bandit in stealth black 26 (large)

Built as:
    Large stealth black frame 2013 ridden only twice since built, heli-taped from new,fox kashima CTD shock.
    Rockshox Revelation RLT 150mm mint and also heli-taped.
    Stan’s flows on hope pro2 EVO hubs front 20mm rear 142×12
    Raceface Sixc carbon bars 730mm
    Raceface turbines 70mm stem
    Odi TLD grips
    Thomson seatpost and Chromag seatclamp
    Syncros AM saddle
    Full 2×10 XT transmission with E13 Trs+1 chain device
    XT trail pedals
    Brand new Magura MT brakes 203mm & 180mm Magura Storm Rotors
    Running tubeless on RQ’s black chili protection tyres.

Today got a run out on a guys 29er FS, felt strange at first and yes it was great uphill, rolled over obstacles with ease and was fast on the straight parts of the trail. BUT overall (for me) I felt disconnected with not much feedback or feel from the trail.

I jumped back on my own bike and there was more feedback or I suppose you could call it FUN which to me is the reason to jump on my bike. It is for me my hobby and to be enjoyed and not competitive. I am not in any way slagging off other wheel choices I was after all considering changing.
    But for me it has to be 26″ and my exceedingly capable Bandit

chrisb57
    Free Member

I have a 9.9 misbuild its the full carbon frame but with a trek remedy 9 build on it its fantastic. For that money id snap their arms off and run if I were you. Very light bike sub 27lbs.i will email u photo of my 9.9 if u message me .

sparkingchains
    Free Member

IMO a 6.2k bike is a false economy as it’ll depreciate faster than you can ride it so lucky it has so much off.

I also wouldn’t be tempted just because of the huge discount, the 6.2 K price tag is just daft to begin with. Get something that’ll last, and feels right to you.

29’er if you want an XC bike for mile munching or XC race. 650B for everything else especially more techy trails.

didgerman
    Free Member

For that money you could get a decent 650b Whyte. You know you want it.

DanW
    Free Member

It’s shop soiled so in v good nick

Having looked at your link the bike isn’t “shop soiled”, it is a full on used and abused demo bike. As good as the build is I wouldn’t be paying the asking price when it is as scratched up as it is.

It looks to have been crashed a good few times if the forks are anything to go by for starters! Even the stanchions are scratched so it isn’t just cosmetic. If you replaced the forks you might still have an ok condition bike but who knows what crashes punters and journos have put the bike through? It is essentially a used bike so not the bargain it first appears.

Personally I’d stay away from that bike. If is was genuinely new and shop soiled then it’s be an easy yes.

beefheart
    Free Member

roverpig

So, are 650b the best sneetches on the beaches?

booktownman
    Free Member

“It’ll all come back to 26 in time. Big wheels spin slower and are heavier – it’s just physics. There are benefits in certain situations but lighter wheels and better suspension will always be the solution.”

So says Chris Porter of Mojo.

roverpig

OK, he’s got a vested interest (working for a suspension company) but that is the clearest and most logical argument I’ve heard on the subject for a long time. Ever since the dawn of the bicycle we’ve been looking for lighter wheels. Everybody, from road racers to DH racers ride the lightest wheel they can get away with. I get the advantages of a bigger wheel but, if you really want to do smooth the trails out, better suspension will get you further than a slightly bigger wheel.

DanW
    Free Member

I am by no means a fan of Chris Porter but I have to agree with that statement. What rarely gets mentioned is that mountain biking is a sport of constant acceleration and deceleration- a situation where the lightest (26) and quickest accelerating (26) wheels will be best (even for the average weekend mincer).

It is rare to have long stretches of road or fireroad in MTB where a constant velocity is maintained… more often than not the trail conditions, even on an extended stretch that looks to be a constant gradient, require change of direction around a pot hole/ deep patch of mud/ corner/ whatever, then accelerate on again etc. MTB is far less controlled than road riding.

If you watch enduro or XC racing for example the top guys rarely hold a constant speed for any real length of time. It’s all about constant acceleration and deceleration where a larger wheel will always struggle (comparatively speaking)

xiphon
    Free Member

Only on STW can £2.5k for a push bike considered a “bargain”….

Loving the “adjustable wheels” suggestion 🙂

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

there are arguments for 29ers and against 29ers and the same for the other 2 wheel sizes, but at the end of the day when all is said and done 29ers look f—ing ridiculous on anything other than an xl frame.there thats solved that argument

Northwind

If you want a 26 inch wheel bike, get it. And if later you feel you should have bought a 650b bike, just write 650b on the tyres in massive letters in tippex. Nobody will ever know the difference. (there’s a reason the logos are so damn massive- 4.5% difference in wheel size, but 50% increase in font size so you know about it)

duir
    Free Member

Think you’ll be waiting longer then 3 years as most riders (outside the STW bubble) want the latest thing which is 650b.

Exactly what I said. Within 3 years the latest craze will not be 650b, it will be the re-invention of 26″.

chestrockwell

Exactly what I said. Within 3 years the latest craze will not be 650b, it will be the re-invention of 26″.

No chance. They would not spend so much money changing the rules just to change them back again. Like it or not, 650b is now the standard size wheel for most bikes. 26″ and 29″ will have a place but 650b will be what most bikes have. The powers that be have decided and they don’t care what a handful of people on here think.

I’m not saying it’s right, I don’t have 650b and don’t think it’s the best thing since sliced bread and would prefer people to be able to make their own choice instead of having ‘standards’ forced on them but it is what it is and isn’t changing.

I didn’t ask for tapered steerers so I can’t get decent forks for my 1 1/8th, I didn’t ask for 15mm to become the standard when I was running 20mm front wheels, I didn’t ask for 30.9/31.6 seat tubes when all my bikes had 27.2. It still happened though and the world didn’t stop turning. Add 650b to that list.

roverpig

No chance. They would not spend so much money changing the rules just to change them back again. Like it or not, 650b is now the standard size wheel for most bikes. 26″ and 29″ will have a place but 650b will be what most bikes have. The powers that be have decided and they don’t care what a handful of people on here think

That’s not how capitalism works though. It’s not the producer that gets to decide what the market wants. Of course they can try to influence the market. That’s what marketing departments are for. But if there is a demand for 26″ bikes then the the manufacturers will satisfy that demand (or lose sales).

All the examples you gave are things that, for whatever reason, the market accepted. Maybe it will accept 650b too, but it’s too early to tell just yet.

chestrockwell

But if there is a demand for 26″ bikes then the the manufacturers will satisfy that demand

That’s exactly the point though, I don’t see any huge movement against 650b or that many people demanding 26ers. Yes, there’s some grumpy threads on here but how many of these people were actually going to buy a new bike but have decided against now? Of those that have, how many will never get a new bike ever again in protest? My bet is that they’ll be grumpy while it’s fashionable on here to do so then in a year or two get a 650b.

As mentioned before, if the margins are so slim between 650b and 26″ why would any one buying a full bike care? I have no proof but imagine the market for frame only sales will be tiny compared to full bikes so not worth worrying about for the big boys and the big boys will always dictate the market.

Looking closer to home, even the outraged threads on here have slowed right down so I if the STW Hit Squad can’t maintain their outrage for more then a few months then I’m afraid there’s no hope.

roverpig

Just to be clear, I’m not particularly fussed whether 650b becomes the dominant wheel size or not. For the sort of mincing around that I do, wheel size (even 26 vs 29) makes precious little different. I’m just surprised that anybody can be so confident in predicting the future. All it would take to stimulate demand for 26″ bikes again are a few high profile people to say they prefer 26″ or a few high profile wins, or a few magazine articles telling us that the smaller wheel is more fun or any one of a mass of other plausible scenarios. None of that may happen, of course. I don’t know, but I suspect that nobody else does either.

Garry_Lager

roverpig – Member

Just to be clear, I’m not particularly fussed whether 650b becomes the dominant wheel size or not. For the sort of mincing around that I do, wheel size (even 26 vs 29) makes precious little different. I’m just surprised that anybody can be so confident in predicting the future. All it would take to stimulate demand for 26″ bikes again are a few high profile people to say they prefer 26″ or a few high profile wins, or a few magazine articles telling us that the smaller wheel is more fun or any one of a mass of other plausible scenarios. None of that may happen, of course. I don’t know, but I suspect that nobody else does either. Isn’t that the genius of 650b though? That it makes no difference? So for someone to turn around in a few years and say 26 bikes are better is just as ridiculous as saying 650b is better now.
    If it was something that made a material difference to bike performance then yeah, who know knows what the future holds? The people might rise up in anger. But as it doesn’t, it’s unlikely to go away.

chestrockwell

I’m with you when it comes to not being fussed. If and when I get a new bike I’ll have a look what’s around.

I also agree with your points but just can’t see any thing other then what’s being pushed. High profile riders will ride the bikes their sponsor wants them to, which means high profile wins for 26″ will be thin on the ground. Even if a rider wanted a 26″ option, how many sponsors are actually making that option this year? As for the mags, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them go against what the industry is pushing and seem fully onboard with 650b.

It seems it’ll be 26″ for DH (for the time being), 29er for cross country and 650b for everything else. I could be wrong as I’m no expert but I’d be confident betting against 26″ coming back as the ‘everything else’ size any time soon and I’m not a betting man. I just can’t see there being a demand for it. How many of those that grumble on here have done anything other then grumble?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Buying a 26er now – bad move?’ is closed to new replies.