Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)
  • Buying a 26er now – bad move?
  • weeksy

How many of those that grumble on here have done anything other then grumble?

What would their other options be ?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy a bike right now. I do fancy a 29er but I’m not sure how long they’re gonna be around for. Don’t want 650b in case they don’t stick around and there’s not enough difference between them and 26 anyway. So I’ll keep my 26er for now until all this wheel sh*t has settled down.

wilko1999
    Free Member

No, its a great move! Buying a new bike is always a great move regardless how big its wheels are. Simple!

I was going to mention a certain life-giving 650B in-joke, but not everyone finds it funny so I decided to refrain… 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

DanW – Member
    What rarely gets mentioned is that mountain biking is a sport of constant acceleration and deceleration- a situation where the lightest (26) and quickest accelerating (26) wheels will be best

It’s not often mentioned because it’s not a significant factor (although it feels like it is)

asterix
    Free Member

oh no, surely its too soon for there to be dyed in the wool 650B supporters yet who get upset by jokes like that

roverpig

It seems it’ll be 26″ for DH (for the time being), 29er for cross country and 650b for everything else.

I think that 26″ for DH could be the key though. If the manufacturers can get the DH lads and lasses on 650b then I agree that 26″ looks doomed. But, if not, there is a danger that 26″ could be perceived as the wheel for more aggressive riding and 650b for gentler stuff, which may not appeal to vain customers (i.e. most of us). We’ve already seen a bit of that with 29ers.

The differences don’t need to be real, of course. it’s perception that matters in marketing.

chestrockwell

What would their other options be ?

Exactly.

oh no, surely its too soon for there to be dyed in the wool 650B supporters yet who get upset by jokes like that

If that’s aimed at me then you’re way off. Don’t have a 650b, just got a 29er. My other 2 bikes and 2 frames are 26″. It doesn’t change what the industry has decided though. Still doesn’t make that joke funny. Have you lot still not found any new material?

I wouldn’t buy a bike right now. I do fancy a 29er but I’m not sure how long they’re gonna be around for. Don’t want 650b in case they don’t stick around and there’s not enough difference between them and 26 anyway. So I’ll keep my 26er for now until all this wheel sh*t has settled down.

I think a lot of people will be in the same boat. They will buy a new bike at some point though.

gixerator
    Free Member

DH,

Not adding to the merits and disadvantages of wheels size. I would also say the bike that feels right will always be the one to go for.

So on that note have you demo’d the Remedy, does it come with DRCV front and back?
    Have you demo’d a 650 or 29er? If I was spending £2k plus that is the first thing I would do.

If your interested in a feedback in the Remedy I have an 2011 carbon, Just sent me a pm

rOcKeTdOg

No chance. They would not spend so much money changing the rules just to change them back again

Tell that to the “29 inch is best, no wait, 27.5 inch is best” fannies at Giant

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

How many of those that grumble on here have done anything other then grumble?

I think quite a few people have bought less new wheels, tyres, forks and frames than they might otherwise.
    650b though? That it makes no difference?

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a new (to me) 26″ F&F.
    Need to build it up now but sadly can’t seem to get a discount on 26″ rims, still paying the same as I did on the ones for my other bike a couple of years ago.

dh
    Free Member

gixerator – no i havent demod it yet, or any other of the “new” sizes. i hope to do so over the xmas holidays. you are quite right, that is a lot of cash just to splurge without trying some first. i was just after the hive mind’s opinion, which have been quite helpful.

thanks all.

all this 650b/29er stuff is a right pain in the bumhole to be honest, must be making some folk delay a new purchase i think.

bigrich

there are millions of 26″ bikes out here – you’ll always be able to get decent tyres, rims and forks.

Ben_H

all this 650b/29er stuff is a right pain in the bumhole to be honest, must be making some folk delay a new purchase i think.

It definitely is.

I’ve decided to sit this one out and to wait with my potential frame, fork and wheel purchases. I recently refurbished my 2010 Cotic Soul frame and bought some last-of-the-line straight steerer Fox 32 forks.

In the past, I’ve been quick to buy into some of the developments like full suspension, funky forks (Lefty), dual control shifters etc… but the wheelsize thing is a big uncertainty now that I custom build bikes rather than get them off the shelf.

I’m sure all wheelsizes will have a niche in the indefinite future, but it looks to me like 29 will be default for singlespeeds and bikes for tall people, whereas 650b may well dominate over 26 but potentially at the cost of reducing the OE market size overall. 26 will probably be championed by some funky small independents, making jewel-like components at boutique prices – like 29 and 650b in the early days!

JCL
    Free Member

Screw that! Get your ass behind the 29″ movement as it’s a big up yours to the 650bs marketing size. I’m balls deep in 8k’s worth of 29″ because ultimately it’s the biggest wheel a non DH suspension bike can accommodate before sizing and travel compromises have to be made. The bigger the wheel the more geometry options a designer has and we’re only just seeing really sorted 29″ arrive on the market and win non XC races.

dh
    Free Member

i should add i find it all very odd/confusing that trek and specialized dont really have any 650bs, and they must be a couple of biggest manufacturers out there.

iainc

I got rid of a 26 short travel HT and 5 late Spring. I replaced them with a Soul, bang up to date dropper, tapered headtube, 2 x 10 clutch mech etc. If I had sat on the fence I’d still be there….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Reporting in – all 29ers down in Southern Africa. Big wheels needed to get through the rhino dung. Looks amazing singletrack out here. Pity I don’t have a bike with me.

JCL
    Free Member

i should add i find it all very odd/confusing that trek and specialized dont really have any 650bs, and they must be a couple of biggest manufacturers out there.

Trek do. I wish they hadn’t sold out. It would have been piss funny seeing the market/media figure it all out.

chestrockwell

Tell that to the “29 inch is best, no wait, 27.5 inch is best” fannies at Giant

They didn’t change it back though, they just moved on to the next ‘must have’. They were still producing 26″ with the 29ers too.

I think quite a few people have bought less new wheels, tyres, forks and frames than they might otherwise.
    650b though? That it makes no difference?

You’re probably right but quite a few in a market of xxxx thousand will not bother the powers that be. How many of those that have not spent now will convert to what ever if it proves to be the market standard in a year or two? Also, why would Giant/Trek/Specialized/GT etcetc care if any one bought new forks from Fox/RS etc or wheels from DT/Hope/Stans etc this year? They want you to buy full bikes and would probably be quite happy for you to not buy parts.

teethgrinder

All that money, and it still has Avid brakes?

Northwind

chestrockwell – Member

You’re probably right but quite a few in a market of xxxx thousand will not bother the powers that be. How many of those that have not spent now will convert to what ever if it proves to be the market standard in a year or two?

I suspect no more than would have bought a new bike anyway tbh.

matther01
    Free Member

Fudge – cannae believe you were prepared to sell your bandit for a 29er…must have been a moment of madness for which you are forgiven 😀

deviant
    Free Member

Similar position to a couple of people on here, will be replacing my stolen FS in the new year but will delay it as long as is necessary for the stupid wheel size thing to sort itself out.

DIRT mag threw a spanner in the works by testing that 140mm 29er a while back and declaring it a good bike and now the 650b thing comes along….will commit to something when the industry sorts itself out.

Cant help but notice that 29er and 650b tyres are considerably more expensive than 26er stuff at the moment, that does put me off to be honest as i do like a nice collection of tyres and the Super-Tacky Maxxis stuff (my favourite) in 26 inch can be had for sub £20 at the moment.

fudge9202
    Free Member

matther01 too much caffeine! Was brain dead for a few hours
    After throwing my leg over the bandit for a 2hr blast have to say it’s the best bike I’ve riden including those I’ve tried and tested.
    I don’t have any plans to change anytime soon!

matther01
    Free Member

Fudge – shall hopefully be receiving my pikes for the bandit within the next week….so looking forward to finally getting her fully specced the way i’ve dreamed about.

Will have to post a gratuitous pic in the New Year!

fudge9202
    Free Member

Lucky you mate I’m making do with Revs RLT Ti set at 150mm, really happy with them and rest of the kit on the kit on the bike is all spanking new, weighs in at 27lb. So happy with that, a lot lighter than my stumpy was!
    Enjoy mate they are an ace bike.

Viewing 27 posts - 81 through 107 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Buying a 26er now – bad move?’ is closed to new replies.