Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)
  • Why do people think that ownership of a decent bike makes somebody a crap rider!
  • jonba
    Free Member

Its all good. I’ve met a few people who seem to have the view that an expensive bike makes them a better rider. Normally the same one’s who make comments about need SPD’s or the correct tyres etc.

I love seeing riders turn up on cheap bikes and teach us a lesson. Makes you remember what the most important part is. Remember a group of us playing jumping off steps. One guy on a cheap halfords hardtail lands it, lifts onto his back wheel, hops through 90deg and then jumps up the things sideways – flash git 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Maybe strava needs a new category. Not just sex and age but now how expensive the bike is….

timc
    Free Member

premium feature of course 😉

spockrider
    Free Member

6K or £10 if it’s got two wheels it’s a bike, crap rider or not and anyone riding a bike out on some of the rides we all love surely deserves respect regardless of the price of their machinery or their lack of or abundant talent.
    I bought a Halfords special and could easily have afforded something of a higher standard for my perceived lack of skills. Not everyone is loved up on all the commercial bull or jealous of those 6K egos that snipe at riders on lowly machines. Personally I am waiting to find the right bike for me, something unique and not the bloody same as everyone else and at the right price. In fact I will probably buy a few for different disciplines.

It seems a lot of bike snobs will now be sniggering at my ride, my cheap practical clothes and blame ME for slowing down their ride probably because my bike says I am far too substandard for them to share any piece of trail with me ???? I’m no bike pro but I find those attitudes really old fashioned and frickin sado! It’s so shallow. Anyone who thinks like that really deserves to be mucked off with an old Halfords Apollo. Ok we see the same anti feelings across all sport but I honestly thought our biking pleasures were for all to enjoy. I like my hardtails substandard brakes and crap suspension, having ridden rigid bikes in my youth usually on red trail type tracks with punctures and on the rims with no brakes (oh yes I did 😉 ) A crap bike suits me just fine. Ride whatever 2 wheels you want people but don’t knock others cause they are not like you. More dash for less cash keeps the majority riding. 😀

RustySpanner

I like seeing a nice bike turn up on a ride, in the same way I like to see a Rolls or a Ferrari.
    Cheers me up.

And if you’re a bit cheeky, you can usually blag a test ride on a nice bike!

Not particularly fussed about how skilfull others are, but it’s always great to watch someone who can really ride.

Northwind

Bikes are nice, it’s nice to have nice bikes. I’m an anti-snob, I take perverse pride in my hammered looking full suss, take one look and you know it’s had a life. See a lot of people’s bikes and you know all it’s had is a polish.

Still can’t ride it though.

RustySpanner

We should do a ‘Worn In’ bike thread..
    Mine’s a bit, er, characterful, these days too.
    Mechanically it’s great, but it does look like I made it myself.

😀

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s the statement that a bike is “too good” for a particular rider that irks me. As if they’d go faster / progress more quickly / have more fun on a cheaper bike. Utter balls, the only variables are how much money you have an what percentage of your earnings you are willing to spend on a bike.

Posh bikes are nice, I’d have a posher bike in a flash if I had enough spare cash.

Scapegoat

What about carefully saved for bargain builds? I now have a Mojo frame plus all the bits off my last trail bike. God knows what it would all cost new, but its been put together with used and bargain bits over the course of several years, and cost me about 2300 all in. I don’t know whether I’m worthy of such a bike, so if someone could tell me where I need to go to have my ability checked against acceptable standards please?

hora
    Free Member

A college dropout will point and sneer saying ‘I’m jealous as I couldn’t afford that’

Brother_Will
    Free Member

If they’ve got a lot of money then good for them, chances are they have had to work hard to get where they are but that also means they have spent less time out on there bike, but if they are passionate about cycling who am i to begrudge them the best gear they can afford?

deanfbm
    Free Member

I sign up to the phrase ‘all the gear no idea’

I could not give a crap about how much money people spend, its their hard earned money, they can do what they want.

It just when I see a 5k road bike with a massive seat and one of those steerer extensions to get the bars high or when someone is an xc rider, can’t admit to theirselves and have to have the latest carbon all mountain bike, set it up with 50% sag, use it for fire roads and groomed foot paths then wonder why its hard work to remotely make the bike do what they want, then proceed to buy more suspension. These are just examples but you get the gist.

Its the whole ignorance and blinkers to any rational thought about what is actually needed and would be far better and enjoyable for them.

RustySpanner

Can I just point out that it was only Hora’s original statement I agreed with?
    Ta.

Lester
    Free Member

what has it got to do with anyone else what bike they have and how much it cost?
    ive got a nice bike (a mojo) and its probably more bike than i have skill for. But i am getting better and im going on a uk skills course in november.
    ive bought the best bike i can afford, im getting used to it, im getting better and one day i hope i will be good enough for what it can offer me.
    i find that having a nice bike also inspires me to want to get better and take it out and ride it.
    i love looking at other peoples bikes and get real pleasure out of seeing a nice bike.
    Just the other day, a rider had a nicer bike than mine, but had never seen a mojo in the flesh aand was really glad to have seen one.
    Also its a beautiful looking piece of equipment which i would be happy just looking at let alone have the chance to ride it as well.
    im 61 and if i want to and can afford buy a nice bike why shouldnt I?
    whats it to do with someone else

teenrat

The argument works the other way though. If I turn up at a trail centre on an old hardtail, the 3k bike boys assume I’m a rubbish rider. I think that’s more common than the OPs original point. What they don’t know though is how many times you’ve been Jedi’d or been to skills courses.

Edric64
    Free Member

I will stick with my steel timetrial bike until I am quick enough to justify going carbon .At the moment im not very quick and dont want to look a cock going slow on nice kit

It was good years ago when a lot younger and quicker however to kick the ass of a Hotta rider or two on a shitty bike

stewartc
    Free Member

Lester +1
    42 year old with SB66c, XX1 etc.

zippykona

An expensive bike (although not as good an investment)does its job better than an expensive watch.

Superficial
    Free Member

What they don’t know though is how many times you’ve been Jedi’d or been to skills courses.

I’m not sure anyone became a riding god by going on skills courses. Sure, they might well help the average rider become a bit smoother but to be properly good comes from a lifetime of riding.

Either way, you can’t buy real speed on a bike!

fizzicist
    Free Member

Inverse snobbery, plain and simple.

Lester
    Free Member

The argument works the other way though. If I turn up at a trail centre on an old hardtail, the 3k bike boys assume I’m a rubbish rider. I think that’s more common than the OPs original point. What they don’t know though is how many times you’ve been Jedi’d or been to skills courses.

Teenrat
    what does it matter what you turn up in, to me its the person who cares what other people think who has a problem, not the person doing the judging.
    enjoy what you have, enjoy what other people have or can do with what they have and aspire more to better skills (if thats what you want) and better kit once you can afford it.
    Dont forget as well, if nobody bought the new stuff, the old stuff would probably cost much more and be harder to get.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can I just point out that it was only Hora’s original statement I agreed with?

Does seem to have gone downhill somewhat since that first promising post.

I will stick with my steel timetrial bike until I am quick enough to justify going carbon .At the moment im not very quick and dont want to look a cock going slow on nice kit

Some may be of that opinion but fortunately I’ve found them to be very much in the minority. There’s a right old mix of kit all the way through the field at our TTs and I don’t think anyone thinks anyone else is a cock regardless of how fast or slow they are going. Mostly just happy to see other people are out there enjoying and participating in the sport.

zero-cool
    Free Member

I have an Orange Alpine. And some times I am over biked when I take it to a trail centre, but the majority of the time I’m on the right bike for the riding I do. I used to have 2 bikes, an old DH bike and an old XC bike. But due to circumstances I can now only have 1 so I’ve picked one that can do pretty much everything. And as I mainly ride for fun it’s the bike that suits the most common riding I do (DH and similar) rather than an XC bike that sucks on the downhill sections and uplift days. It’s taken me a long time to save for and was a reward to myself for some of the things i’d achieved over he last few years (where I’ve had to make do with cobbled together old bikes).

And personally I don’t give a monkey’s what other people think. I worked hard to afford what I want and a happy with it.
    I’m sure when I was younger I was also guilty of being jealous of people with better kit but now I don’t care

Tom KP

andypaul99
    Free Member

When I see a £6k super bike I’m straight over to look at it, not for a moment do i resent it’s owner, I always think fair play for putting the graft in to treat yourself to a nice bike. Same with nice cars.

+1

I love looking at expensive bikes, and to ride one is a real treat. But to own one? No thanks, not anymore i owned what i deemed to be an expensive bike a few years back (4k) but did’nt enjoy riding it because it just felt so fragile, and i actually felt a certain amount of guilt too… sure i worked and earnt the money to buy it, but it didnt make me any happier on the trail than my £700 Giant at the time..

joeelston
    Free Member

Expensive bikes are lush. XTR is just damn sexy! To imply that you need a 6k bike is debatable and once I owned one, and loved just looking at it as well as riding it. Nothing wrong with having nice things in life. Nothing wrong in being a savvy shopper and getting something on the cheaper side. Anyone is fortunate to own any bike and more importantly the health to ride it.

Sandwich

then seemed surprised / wonder why their bike does not work, or the hub is damaged and they are facing a massive bill.

its sad really..no bike deserves that treatment, whether cheap or expensive!

Esher you need some professional detatchment! They are keeping you in tea, jaffa cake and hob nobs 🙂

Though like me a bit of you dies whenever you see a bike being mis-used/maltreated.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It seems to be a uniquely British trait – just like slating and demonising rich/successful people and idolising being poor and down trodden. It ultimately must boil down to jealousy – it can’t be anything else. Buy what you want and enjoy it. Or just put it in the garage to gather dust. What business is it for other people anyway.

kristoff
    Free Member

I had an agreement with my wife that when I reached my goal weight I could buy a dream FS to go alongside my hardtail.

Since the new year I’ve been working hard to save money for it and also to eat healthily and get the miles in on the bike.

I’ve lost just over 4.5stone in the last 10months and I’m now lighter than I’ve been for over a decade so I’ve put my name down for the next batch of bronson C frames to come in (couple of weeks away now).

My skills aren’t amazing but the bike is my reward to me for my efforts and I will concentrate on skills more than fitness from here on. I don’t ever expect to be an amazing rider but I enjoy it so b**ls to what anyone else thinks 🙂

psling
    Free Member

I don’t really worry if people are concerned that I’ve got “all the gear but no idea” because I know that I’m significantly wealthier than them and significantly more successful than them so it doesn’t really matter.
    I know this because if they were my equal it wouldn’t actually be a problem 8)

Lester
    Free Member

that works out about £1k a stone 🙂

well done, great incentive, enjoy your reward 🙂

kristoff
    Free Member

Thanks Lester 🙂

slackalice
    Free Member

I like bikes 🙂

I especially like seeing the unusual, expensive, ‘niche’ top end bikes in the flesh, so to speak… ( no, I don’t strip off and get overly aroused, I keep my clothes on 😳 ). For me, I regard the owner as someone who also shares the same interest and couldn’t give a damn what their riding ability is.

What makes a good rider anyway? I’d consider myself reasonably proficient, a little unfit, although there’s some stuff I baulk at doing such as tabletops for example. My approach to how I ride is more than likely governed by my age, my occupation and general dislike of physical pain 😉

Edric64
    Free Member

I would love to spend thousands on a custom road bike but cant envisage the day I spend lots on a mountain bike as by the very nature of the sport they get wrecked through normal use

Losidan
    Free Member

I think jealousy does come into it as stated. It makes you feel better I guess if said person is on something utterly unobtainable to you to think “all the gear no idea”

kennyp
    Free Member

crap rider / amazing bike is fine, why not – but crap bike / amazing rider is always cool.

Well said sir.

Oh, and what golfchick said too just hits the nail on the head.

kennyp
    Free Member

Coming at it from another point of view, at the start of this year I bought a nice (though not even close to 6K) road bike that was a better bike than I was rider. I then had a good hard look at myself in the mirror, both literally and metaphorically, and ended up losing weight and doing some decent training so I could do the bike justice.

I’m now, approaching 50, probably fitter than I’ve been in 25 years and certainly lighter. I’m also enjoying my cycling more than I’ve ever done, so for me it was money very well spent.

hora
    Free Member

Hang on. Im a crap rider on a crap bike.

Wheres the justice in that?

GEDA
    Free Member

I don’t think much of it has much to do with jealousy unless the person who is jealous also does not have much of a clue, for example:

1. Most bike frames are made in the same big sheds in the far east and there is not that much difference in performance after a certain price point.
    2. Second hand stuff is cheap to pick up.
    3. A hope wheel set is not going to be that much different from a carbon one.
    4. There really is not that much, if any, performance benefit of slx and maybe even deore over XTR.
    5. What really makes a difference are skills and training.

For my part I do not really like consumerism and try not to get too conned by marketing. But I would never say or even think “all the gear no idea” as if they are having fun then good on them. Then thinking about it if someone was making a complete idiot of themselves or just had their bike in the shed it might be a bit sad.

emac65
    Free Member

I don’t pay much attention to bikes & have no idea how much a particular bike is likely to cost….So couldn’t care less what other people are riding…………

Although the one exception is when I see someone on a fat bike,I do wonder why anyone would want to drag that heavy thing around all day…..& before anyone says it, I’ll say it for you -“cos they’re really great fun to ride”…….
    As are all bikes 8)

Junkyard
    Free Member

It ultimately must boil down to jealousy – it can’t be anything else.

There are pages of folk giving you their reason, to claim there cannot be anything else is to publicly state your either daft, dont read or cannot comprehend. Furthermore this measures them by your wobbly morality [ see what i did there] – just because you admire and covet wealth [ is it due to low self esteem or not enough hugs?] it does not mean everyone else does

#trollsthetroll 8)

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘Why do people think that ownership of a decent bike makes somebody a crap rider!’ is closed to new replies.