• This topic has 126 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by JoeG.
Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)
  • Bus driver stops cyclist hit and run driver.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Woody – in response to this

i think your drawing proves that point as the gutter rider will be seen first.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

also where this assertion has been ‘comprehensively demolished’?

Its all thru the thread – if you had an open mind you could see it.

Woody
    Free Member

You have extrapolated from that statement that someone is advocating riding in the gutter?

Fascinating mindset.

Edit

Its all thru the thread – if you had an open mind you could see it.

Brilliant

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS I used the ohrase guuter rider to parody your argument – read the thread.you cannt possible expect to use that as as evidence that I am advocating riding in the gutter.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bus-driver-stops-cyclist-hit-and-run-driver/page/2#post-3668138
    your first mention of gutter riding

People only take notice of what is in the centre of their vision – you would still be hidden by the car just behind you if you were in the gutter and there still would be no room to pass safely.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bus-driver-stops-cyclist-hit-and-run-driver/page/2#post-3668191
    your second
    find this so frustrating on a cyclist forum the people do not understand the basic principles of defensive riding and want cyclists to cower in the gutter

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bus-driver-stops-cyclist-hit-and-run-driver/page/2#post-3668619
    My reply

TJ Its not a spurious argument – its absolutely central to remaining safe. You ride where you can both see and be seen most. Thats out in the road not cowering in the gutter.
    my retort

Why do you always have to use such colourful language to caricature and misrepresent those who disagree with you? Has anyone said we should all cower in the gutter? It makes it difficult to debate with you when you do this.

I give up I really do

I cited everything to stop you accusing me of misrepresenting what you said when in fact you have misrepresented what I have said I used your phrase to parody you and now you use it as evidence we advocate gutter riding

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Which is why I said

Are you now stating the safest place to ride is in the gutter?

Note the question format.

Junkyard – woody is deliberatly attempting to stir up a row – best ignored

Woody
    Free Member

Yes, I’m known for that aren’t I TJ. 8)

I just happen to disagree with you, as do several others, and the fact that you seem prepared to repeat the same argument ad nauseum, will do nothing to change that.

JoeG
    Free Member

I live in Pennsylvania, but several hundred miles from Bethlehem, so I am not at all familiar with that particular bridge. It is apparent that it is less than ideal for cycling, as a cyclist was killed there last year. The bridge is at least 40 years old, and it’s original design was further comprimised last year when an inspection found deteriorating structure beneath the sidewalk news release. Since then, they have reestablished a pedestrian walkway at the expense of narrower traffic lanes work press rel.

So, the bridge is definitely not the best place to cycle in the first place, and recent changes have made it even worse.

I’m not clairvoyant, so I have no idea what the cyclist should have done differently to avoid the accident, other than not cycling on the bridge. Sometimes, you can do everything right and still get into an accident. Hasn’t everyone run a red light at least once while driving? If no one was in the intersection, then no big deal. Put a car/cyclist/pedestrian there and things are different, though. I was once sideswiped while stopped in my truck at a red light. I was properly stopped in the left turn lane. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time!

Kudos to the bus driver!

Viewing 7 posts - 121 through 127 (of 127 total)

The topic ‘Bus driver stops cyclist hit and run driver.’ is closed to new replies.