Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Bum Boils……..
  • ton

after all these years of riding, i have what seems to be a bum boil on a very sensative area of my nether regions….
    why? all of a sudden
    and what is the best cure/treatment.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Suck it dry.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

You know that offer of a ride on my Lynskey…… withdrawn

ton

😆

Xylene
    Free Member

Is it a bum boil or an ingrowing hair.

An ingrowing hair could be quite serious and require an operation to remove. A friend had one that was about 5 inches long.

Another friend had an infection of some a small tube/passage in that area that required five days of hospitalization and two operations to clear it followed by secondary infection. Or at least that was the translation I got of the events.

Keep your bum clean people.

tron
    Free Member

If it's in the crack region, it's often caused by bumfluff – lint off clothes etc. works at the skin and upsets it.

ton

it is a boil, and it has a yellow head type top on it.

and i shower twice a day and use natures kiss chafe ease when riding.

Xylene
    Free Member

it is a boil, and it has a yellow head type top on it.

njee20
    Free Member

Give 'er a squeeze!

tall_martin

I'm off the bike for a month after being hospitalized by one of these.

Go see your doctor, if they catch it early (and its the same as mine) it can be treated with antibiotics.

Month off the bike

week off the beer

I know what I'd rather be off right now!

Martin

fisha
    Free Member

From time to time, I get spots in that general area which tends to be ingrowing hairs. I try and get the skin broken as soon as possible to get them to pop. Sometimes takes a couple of attacks at it with a needle, but once its popped, it clears in a very short space of time. Giving it an escape route to the outside world is the key.

May sound gross, but its that or uncomfortableness and more problems.

Keva
    Free Member

yeh they're soooo funny aren't they ?

Usually caused by heat so much more common in the summertime or humid conditions. I usually suffer a couple each year in the hot weather but have been fortunate so far this year… I've had them in the past on areas which don't even have contact with the saddle so chaffing and poor fitting saddles aren't always the cause.

For long rides I use hibiscrub (chlorhexidine)- available in boots or any chemists. Apply it to yourself and the chamois of your shorts. I find it seems to work.

For the actual boil itself I've been prescribed fucidin cream in the past. Use it three or four times a day with the chlorhexidine and it should start to go down. Wearing loose fitting clothes helps when not on the bike, always change out of sweaty cycling gear asap and wash straight away. Boils can be squished but be extrememly careful. Make sure hands are washed with hibiscrub and have it ready to clean the area immediately afterwards.

Antibiotics also work but are not really a solution, more of a last minute fix it, tell the doc (if you go) that you have a cycling holiday booked up!

Get it sorted quick though, years ago i ended up having to have one surgically removed, something I never ever want to have to go through again.

Kev

highclimber
    Free Member

it could turn into a suppurating anal fistula!

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Ah could be a Pilinoidal Sinus! Caused by ingorwn hairs. Painful. I've had 3 and they're worse than child-birth. (Apparantly)Had to get it scooped out and it left a big cavity that had to get packed every day by the district nurse. Had 3 operations in total, each one hurt. And the smell….it's awful.

Go the docs and get it looked at !!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

Can I vote for "no pictures needed thanks"? 🙂

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I've had one before and gave it a good squeeze and a prod with something sharp until thick yellow puss spurted out. This is probably exactly what you shouldn't do, but it went away anyway and its never come back!

I think some of that minty arse lard stuff should stop them.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I second Big Dummy.

No need….

theotherjonv

You need vodka and a needle, and a big pot of MTFU

Vodka for anaesthetic and sterilisation duties. Needle for lancing duties. And MTFU. Just as the darkest part of the night immediately precedes the dawn, so it is with these things. The point at which pain turns into absolute blinding agony is exactly the point just before it pops. Push on through, and the relief is like entering Nirvana*. If you turn back at this point then don't ever show your face again..

* the place, not the band. I don't think Kurt was like that even while alive.

PS: I am not a doctor, and the advice above is very bad, probably.

brassneck

Natures Kiss sounds a bit girly, you want Assos Official Minty Arse Lard.

If you don't dance when you apply it, how d'ya expect it kill germs and stuff 😀

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

I used to get ones there and on my back from rucksack rub. I second the needle and a dab of TCP option.

Hurts like crazy but as said the releif is amazing. Mrs PM does the ones I can't reach for me.

If that's not love I don't know what is. 😀

jonb
    Free Member

Well, I seem to suffer from this regularly, especially having upped my riding. If it's bad, painful and you can't sit down then go and see your GP. I got a course of antibiotics (flucloxicillin?) and it went in the week. That one was big and painful. The more recent ones have just been small spots so I just squeezed them and then washed the area. TCP helps. Went in a week.

Personally I just squeeze normally but I have heard some horror stories of what can happen if they get worse. Someone off here posted some picks of the hole in their backside after having a larger one remove. You could have got a golf ball in there!

jamievosper
    Free Member

shouldn't of read this before my dinner!!!!!!!!!

gusamc
    Free Member

is it a boil or an abcess, (*having been proud owner of perineal abcess). My symptons were a lump (below skin)in cheek just to side and belowish crack, seemed to be getting larger, didn't go away, so fater a while.
    Wed pm – doctor
    Thu pm – surgery
    next month not on bike

Naranjada
    Free Member

I used to have a recurring one in my cycle commuting days.

If it has a head on it it's almost ready to pop, which is (not) nice but you might be best waiting for that to happen naturally rahter than squeeze it.

If you sense one developing (they do recur, especially in dark haired men …something to do with hair follicles) then use a hot compress followed with magnesium sulphate paste under a dressing pad to help draw it out. I used some small dressing pads stuck on with micropore to give some cushioning relief during the day. Once it has naturally burst I'd recommend you try to squeeze the rubbish out, keep it clean and carry on using the pads with a topical antiseptic until it's healed.

Your GP will prescribe Flucloxicillin which also helps.

ton

thanks for the advice.
    doctors after work……….just gonna jet wash my nether regions down now prior to going. 😉

crispybacon
    Free Member

First pic of Ton's boil

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Bum Boils……..’ is closed to new replies.