Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Brutal 10k?
  • dobo
    Free Member

anyone done one? doing one?
    What sort of elevation would you expect to do on one of these runs? just trying to figure out what i should be aiming for on my runs.
    Thanks

benjbish

I did the one on 2nd Jan this year at Longmoor Camp. Not massive elevation or anything. A lot slower than any other 10k due to a few queues and tougher cross-country running than others, loads of man-made sand dunes on the one I did.

cinnamon_girl

Pah, this is what you should do:

http://www.axevalleyrunners.org.uk/races/grizzly.htm

Brilliant event. 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

I must remember to stick the Grizzly in the diary for next year. It’s just a few miles from my parents, and apart from the bogs looks lovely 🙂

toab
    Free Member

You used to be able to do a run round the course at badminton horse trials after the horsing had finished. It was fairly tough as you have to climb all the jumps etc.

wooobob

I found the Knacker Cracker at Box Hill to be plenty brutal enough for me. Loved it though, once it was over 🙁

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

How about the Tough Mudder?

Training Prep

Sparky77
    Free Member

I also did the 2nd of Jan one at Longmoor. Was expecting it to be something like the Grim Challenege that I did in Dec, but it was quite a step up from that. Did really enjoy it, thus have signed up to the windmill hill one.

Elevation change wise, there where a couple of pretty steep hills, so the more that you can to do in training the better I suppose!!

cinnamon_girl

@IanMonro – the event sells out very quickly and over the years it’s become increasingly popular. Certainly my first time was around 20 years ago and there was nowhere near as many entrants as there are now.

I enjoyed it so much I went back the following year! Used to make a weekend of it staying at the holiday camp which was the Race HQ. For a week afterwards I could barely walk down the stairs. 😯

dobo – also, bit nearer for you, check out the Combe Gibbet to Overton event. It’s a point to point, I think it was 16 miles along the Wayfarer’s Walk.

dobo
    Free Member

hmm a step up from the grim challenges eh sparky, well this will be fun then 🙂 glad its not massive elevation though as its hard to find that round here without being repetitive.

thanks for the other links to even more hardcore events, but im not prepared enough for over 10k at the moment. maybe work my way upto 10 miles but cant imagine doing 20

Haze

If you’re anywhere near the Midlands then the Wrekin Wrecker (Telford) is around 10k, or the Cardington Cracker (Long Mynd) at just under.

Plenty of time to prepare too, they both run at the end of year iirc.

DavidB
    Free Member

Ahhhh The Grizzly, so many memories, so much pain. The best bit was the signs around the course, the discarded trainers in the bog, the 3 miles of off camber shingle and the Oommpa band 😉

Kuco

I thought of doing the Tough Mudder around Boughton estate as it’s not to far then saw the entry fee and thought **** that.

cinnamon_girl

The best bit was the signs around the course,

They were hilarious! ‘Love thyself’ 😆 The bog, how could I ever forget the bog!

dobo – does the CF 10K still run? Or the Totton?

dobo
    Free Member

Thought i’d post back to say that i did do the brutal 10k today, was easy peasy….

well maybe not, i wasnt actually expecting hills i couldnt run up as they were so steep, i had to scramble up some of them. the swamp and river crossing was a god send for a beather and break from the relentless hills.

i also got the most severe stitch, possibly from the steep downhill runs i’m not used to, can you die from stitch?

i put in an all out sprint at the end with a bunch of others which was fun..

came in in 58m something which for my first off road race i’m well chuffed with considering the terrain. only a few mins of my 10k pb lol

really enjoyed it, excellent event.. and i will do the others and i’m eyeing up the tough mudder! the price is the only sting..

andrewh
    Free Member

Excellent, well done. Respectable time too, any idea what position you were?
    I agree about the price being a bit steep though.
    I did the Hellrunner a Longmoor in November and the Legends of Sherwood (same but in the dark) erlier this month.
    The Sherwwod race was 10k, I can do a 35min 10K on the road, this race took me 53mins to give you an idea of relative duration. There was more running and fewer obstacles than I was expecting. Get a good start is my advice, 1,000 peope at Sherwood, double that a Longmoor and it’s only first couple of hundred who are competitive and you don’t want to get stuck with the pantomime horses at the back.
    Enjoyed both and would do another.
    Write ups on my blog if you are interested
    http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/test.html
    http://andrewhowett.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/hellrunner.html
    No pics on the Hellrunner so it looks a bit rubbish

dobo
    Free Member

cheers andrew i’ll check out hellrunner and your blog.

i came in 87th in mens and 122 overall out of about 500 according to the website, fastest time was 44mins by a vet. i started off way quicker than i had wanted to due to the buzz and had nutters overtaking me including some VERY fast dog runners but let them get on, things soon settled once the hills hit. about half way i was starting to overtake people on the hills. I only really run off road and cant recall ever getting sub 50min 10k so not quick but love difficult terrain.

sparky77 did you do windmill?

time to get my lazy ass on the bike for a short spin to wake the legs up.

Sparky77
    Free Member

Just seen this, yup I did Windmill Hill. I came in 18th in the end, dead chuffed, not able to do the one this weekend, but will definately be doing the ones later in the year!

Don’t think that I have ever ran up quite so many hills in such a confined area. Really enjoyed it, was trying to think of a bog that they would send us through before hand, didn’t contemplate the canal!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Brutal 10k?’ is closed to new replies.