Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Brompton + Full face helmet…
  • psychle
    Free Member

You'll just have to picture it in your head, but that's the unlikely combo I saw on my way to work this morning 😆 Commuting in London must've gotten much more rad to the max fully sick hardcore gnar when I wasn't looking… I wonder if he's considered wearing his DH armour as well?? 😯

Soooo disappointed I didn't get my camera out in time to take a snap! Would've been a hilarious shot for posterity 😆

djglover
    Free Member

Safety first, fun last

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think I've seen this guy too. I like to think he is 'core, but only has one helmet. Mind, I usually go lid-less on my Brompton because if you aren't living on the edge you're taking up too much space. Maan. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

They say that there London town is the at the cutting edge of fashion

wwaswas

maybe he's heard of the untold damage that the peak on a normal mtb helmet can cause?

alfabus
    Free Member

I've seen him too 🙂

(unless there are multiple – my one was near westminster or vauxhall, can't remember which)

Dave

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seen on the Skyride the other day – Intense M3, Fox 40s, gold THE fenders and a sprung, yes a sprung Brooks saddle.

Shizzle dat mixed-niche bizzle, homeboy.

atlaz
    Free Member

CFH – Probably realised his usual hardcore razor blade saddle was going to murder his arse and went for something a bit more friendly. On the other hand, if he rides with it all the time, kudos, but I wouldn't.

Trimix
    Free Member

I was out in the Chilterns the other day and saw some middle aged chap ride past with full body armour on but a normal helmet. No where near Aston and it was a normal looking XC bike. WTF !

RealMan
    Free Member

Cycling plus had a guy on a full face on a brompton with a ridiculously high gear trying to break 50mph on flat in the last issue. But he also was just wearing lycra shorts and top, so his body would've been ripped to pieces if he had come off.

flamejob
    Free Member

I think that might be the bloke I served whilst working weekends at Cycle Surgery.

A very normal middle class bloke who had his face smashed up in a car accident. It took ages to get it back together with wire etc, so he's a bit nervous about it.

Similarly; I went to Wales a month ago and the newbie in the group (you know, suntour forks and vbrakes) had a MET parachute. He had just had a £6K teeth reconstruction job done.

psychle
    Free Member

fair enough 😯 Did look funny to me, but who am I to talk, I ride around London on a triple-crown 6" travel Enduro 😆 Been thinking about wearing the full-facer for winter as well, would keep me mouth nice and warm 8)

woffle
    Free Member

there was someone crossing London Bridge in full black and grey stormtrooper get-up the other morning on his hardtail – full-face helmet, body armour, the works!

CliveA

There are a few full-face commuters in London these days. I saw about 3 or 4 on one journey the other week.

But when you think about it, is it any more worthy of ridicule than wearing any other kind of helmet?

Who decides on the 'right' level of protective gear for a given bike or route?

I think the fashion police need to chill out a bit…

steve_b77
    Free Member

@ Llandegla one mid-week day I saw a guy on a full suss, bib-tights with a bright green lycra long sleeve top and a full face helmet.

Did make me chuckle

johnners
    Free Member

I think the fashion police need to chill out a bit

For sure. I don't believe many would dispute that a full face helmet provides more protection than a "normal" one, so if he's OK with the comfort aspects why not?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I often ride with a girl who's a model (No, I am not going to post pics and no she is not that kind of model) and she is very carfeul about always wearing armour. As she says, she can hardly work if covered in scars! She does fall off a bit as well…! 🙂

Doesn't wear a full face, though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Im currently full-facing it to work on the road bike due to smelly helmet straps on the normal one.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Mendip exile Tangent should have worn a full-face helmet, given the way he used to [drunkenly] pilot his Brompton around Bristol (including, on occasion, Leigh Woods).

Bikebreaker
    Free Member

Is that any more worthy of ridicule than the hardtail hardcore XC whippet brigade that ride all the nasty stuff in just lycra and an xc helmet?
    No offence meant, been there, got the scars to prove it and moved to a more bouncy and armour plated style of riding.

I only visit London on a bi monthly basis but it strikes me as a place I would want as much armour as I could carry. I imagine the comuters are just used to it and take the risk in their stride. These guys are probably just new to the commute thing and will relax into it over time. That or their mum's wont let them out on their bike without the pads. 😆

PJM1974
    Free Member

I commute in baggies on my Marin Quad 140. 😀

genesis
    Free Member

Did see a guy at ours on a fully tricked out Socom running Fox40's wearing full Dianese head to toe and a TLD D2 lid, Llandegla has got that gnarr now 😉

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

Having had my 3 front teeth smashed in and rebuilt AGAIN and had a canine pulled out due to it being fubar'ed from just one crash on my commute – I shall soon be investing in a Met parachute. Dentist (dour chap) says that if it happens again then my teeth won't last 5 years before falling out.. this being my top front row. I would have to get each re-implanted at a cost of £2.5k EACH .. after going 6 months looking like shane mcgowan to let the gum 'settle' .

In all my years on an MTB my worst injury has been scratches and scrapes from branches …but tarmac has claimed my shoulder (philos plate) and 4 teeth.

Ow.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Brompton + Full face helmet…’ is closed to new replies.