Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Broke my chinese carbon bars, any recommendations for a replacement?
  • jefinabox

Oops, guess you do get what you pay for. My £13 carbon bars broke today while I was being gnarly on some jumps made of pallets (what? I’m totally grown up). Made the most perfect *snap* sound.

Anyone have any recommendations? I’m looking at some easton EC70s.

edhornby

The same thing again, lightning won’t strit twice

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

The same thing again, lightning won’t strit twice

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjI8AxZnrx8[/video]

sparkyrhino

ouch,not something I would skimp on,I have renthal jobbies nice,got a good deal from der German site a while back.or superstar have some 20% off too

poah
    Free Member

a santa cruz and you buy £13 chinese carbon bars.

buy a spank vibrocore bar either 760mm or 800mm

deadkenny
    Free Member

Easton Havoc carbon bars. Simple. Pay more, but they’re tough as. I got some half price in the sales, so £50

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Wow. £13 carbon bars on a SC 5010! 😯 😆

Vote for Easton Havens here. Awesome and sex-aaa!

tomhoward

Havoc carbons.

Interested to know what you expected to happen with £13 carbon bars… How many minutes did they last?

chakaping
    Free Member

20% off superstar at moment.

The lithium bars are good and I’ve crashed them a few times with no snappage.

We don’t need to tell you not to go jumping on 13 quid plastic bars again, do we?

jefinabox

Haha, look after the pennies and the pounds.. buy you a 5010. I did a lot of reading before buying them and people were having no issues with the same bars, guess they’re just not as radcore as me. But no, I don’t need to be told again, I’m a bad boy. Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll look them all up.

br
    Free Member

Anything with either Easton or Renthal written on it.

FWIW I’ve a pair of +7 y/o Easton DH’s on my HT, loads of crashes and general misuse – still rock solid.

sq225917
    Free Member

Renthal Fat carbon lite, unless your going huge they’re all you’ll ever need.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Haha, look after the pennies and the pounds.. buy you crash damage to your 5010 and facial reconstruction.

FTFY.

What were they BTW?

eshershore
    Free Member

Easton for the win!

And less trips to the dentist…

bikeneil
    Free Member

20% off superstar at moment

Aren’t their bars chinese anyway?

jefinabox

I can’t find out the exact brand, but there’s many, many being sold that are the same. I avoided dentist fees thankfully, but my mate thought the snapping sound was me haha, think it scared him more than me.

davosaurusrex

Got some renthal fatbar carbons for sale, 20mm rise, 780mm wide. Near mint, assume there’s some clamp marks, haven’t taken them off yet. £75 posted

jefinabox

Thanks for the offer, I got a 720mm ec70 from Evans, after they price matched a 685mm pair, for £55 posted. Cheers everyone

njee20
    Free Member

Anything with either Easton or Renthal written on it.

Sure you can get plenty on AliBaba that say Easton for £13!

molgrips
    Free Member

£13 carbon bars?

You have balls of steel, Sir. And a brain of lead 😉

alexh
    Free Member

I did the same. Some ritchey wcs copies. They survived about 6 months and failed after I’d had a fall on them at dyfi.

They failed on an event and took me off. I was very lucky. Worst bit was having to ride the rest of the event with odd length bars.

We all make mistakes.

Rorschach
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqInkUNG0aU[/video]

tomhoward

😆 that ad (and the other variants) always made me think of some on here.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve got some crashed bent alloy bars you can have.

kayak23

RSP (Raleigh) Ego dh bars.
    Light, strong, £65.
    Nice and wide. I ended up keeping them at 780 and love them but can be cut to whatever you fancy.
    RSP bars

Northwind

The egos can be had for less than that if you shop around. Will probably get some when money allows, I fancy going wider again.

This thread must all be a hoax though, everyone knows that when carbon fibre bars break you DIE.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member
    otsdr
    Free Member

Santa Cruz also do bars y’know… http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en/us/am-flat-carbon-bar

tomhoward

This thread must all be a hoax though, everyone knows that when carbon fibre bars break you DIE.

Nah, once you get over the shock of thinking about buying some, you generally survive.

richmtb

To be fair I’ve snapped genuine Easton bars so nothing is completely idiot proof. To be fair it was a pretty big spill, I don’t really blame the bars!

But I still use Easton. Current bikes have an Easton XC70 and an Easton Haven (unfashionably narrow at 711mm)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Broke my chinese carbon bars, any recommendations for a replacement?’ is closed to new replies.