Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • British Ti 29r
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

I’m looking at a ti 29er HT MTB, ideally a custom build (for my disproportionate sizing)

While the likes of Black Sheep, Quiring, Strong et al are tempting, by the time you get them over from the US they work out to being ~£1700 – £2K+

So what about British offerings? I’m thinking the likes of Burls, Zero Four, Enigma and not forgetting On-One (although no custom option), most of which work out cheaper.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has tried these builders or has some feedback, whether it be with 29 or 26″.

Cheers

aw
    Free Member

I would be very interested too…just getting back into my steel 29er and a Ti option would interest me (and bumps your thread as well) 😉

Clink

As I’ve said on here before I love my On-one ti 29er; but you know that already 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

My long body and shorter legs mean that if I get a bike with the reach I need I don’t get the standover and the TT gets too high along with no seat post

The Lenz FS I have just bought was sized a size smaller on the ST with this in mind

The Lenz also has what must be considered slacker than most geo which I like: HTA 69.5 & STA of 73.8 which compares to say Niner’s and many others of 72. The Lenz is a FS and it’s a HT I’m looking at….? I need to find out how slacker geo would work on a 29r HT

This is why I want to go custom and the On-One way is stock only. I’m sure it’s a nice ride, and good value too

rapiddescent

you don’t mention what disproportion you have; but if it is tallness, then have a chat with singular cycles. They do lots of 29’er bikes and the owner is very tall. A couple of pals have the singlespeed 29’er bike and they rave about it. I think sam will be at dalby in a few weeks at the singlespeeduk if you are in the area.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sam at Singular, yes, I’ll shoot him an email

‘Longer’ trunk, ‘shorter’ legs

martinh
    Free Member

You may find that the UK ti builders don’t have a lot of experience of building and riding 29ers and so wont necessarily be able to help out with the numbers.

I’d suggest trying to ride different 29er hardtails to get a feel for the different setups if you go the UK route.

thepodge
    Free Member

Vernon Barker in Sheffield does custom Ti

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Check out 96ers too.

All the rollyness of a 29er without sitting on a gate.

ton

Bonesetter, post the lenz again please.

singlespeedstu

Is that the sound of Ton ordering another bike I can hear?

brant
    Free Member

All the rollyness of a 29er without sitting on a gate.

I’ve still not quite worked out why people prefer the smaller rear wheel. Surely for a given frame size and style, the top tube on, say, an 18in frame is in the same place whatever size the rear wheel?

I do like the look of 69ers though – I quite fancy a 29in front, 24in rear, with a 3.0 Gazzaloddi. Braaaap…

Ahem.

Anyhow.

69ers make sense if you’re converting a 26in bike to have a big front wheel (which makes sense if you’re running rigid forks, IMO). Rigid 29ers are ace.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Panic over I have to say – cured with a cockpit adjustment 😀

It’s been ~4 months since I have ridden my HT Niner and throwing a leg over it after riding a smaller bike made it feel too big.

Shorter stem, straight seat post, 2 hour ride and I’m feeling the love again. In fact the best ride I’ve had for ages – god, fancy thinking of selling that bike!

Thanks for the contributions, some good food for thought…

ton – here’s the Lenz thread in all its drawn out detail

Sam

Hoping to have a very limited run of Pegasus available before the end of the year, last round of prototypes coming shortly then will be making an order – by all means drop me a line.

Sam

bonesetter
    Free Member

Sam – Member

Hoping to have a very limited run of Pegasus available before the end of the year, last round of prototypes coming shortly then will be making an order – by all means drop me a line.

Sam

Thanks for the reply – I thought you were just a steel frame man (only from looking at your website), but will certainly bear you in mind, as my ti lust has been awakened now, and I like your frames

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘British Ti 29r’ is closed to new replies.