Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brigsteer, SE lakes
  • docrobster
    Free Member

So we are going to the lakes for half term and staying in a cottage at brigsteer. Whilst i’m sure I’ll be taking the kids to grizedale etc, I am hoping there will be some reasonable local trails near enough from the door so I can nip out for an hour on my own from time to time.
    I did a quick search found a thread from a few days ago which mentioned brigsteer linking up with kendal via the helm and on to underbarrow. OS map isn’t looking to hopeful for bridleways so where would the locals go?
    Cheers

pennine
    Free Member

Bogtrotters have a route around Kendal. Few cheeky bits mind 😆

http://www.bogtrotters.org/show_album.php?album_id=1175

Click on route, then click animate

docrobster
    Free Member

ooh thats clever- cheers for that. Don’t mind a bit of cheeky here and there

Flapjack
    Free Member

I stayed in Brigsteer for a week last year (Garden cottage I think it was called), whilst I didn’t take the bike I did a few walks straight from the door which would probably make a decent ride. Scout Scar just above Brigsteer and drops into Kendal would probably be worth a blast.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Well,you could go east and go over Cartmell Fell, but if you wanted some more worthwhile routes, you may as well drive 5 minutes North to Stavely, and go for some great biking round there. Go and see the folks in Wheelbase for some more info.

I’ve got a copy of http://www.amazon.co.uk/District-Mountain-Biking-Richard-Staton/dp/0954813189 which you can have for £6 posted if you like 😉

mail in profile.

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer but as we’ll be on the way there this time tomorrow I doubt there’s time to post me the book. Was planning a trip to wheelbase at some point during the week- haven’t been in the shop for about 15 years I think. Will prob pick up a copy of the VG book there.
    Scout scar looks interesting on bikehike will have a look

stevestunts
    Free Member

You could do some cheeky over Whitbarrow Scar and drop down to Witherslack (or stay legit and skirt under the south eastern edge of the scar). The bridleway from Witherslack Hall Farm over Yewbarrow and out onto Church Road is a lovely bit of trail you could link up to.

As mentioned above, ten minutes west in the car towards Cartmel Fell and there’s plenty more legit trails.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brigsteer, SE lakes’ is closed to new replies.