Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Brakes – Hayes Ace, Avid Code or Saints?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Off on a trip to the Alps in a couple of months, thinking of upgrading my brakes, so I can get a set of Hayes Stroker Aces or Avid Code 5’s for about £200, or should I stump up another £100 and get a set of Saints? Slightly leaning towards the Saints as I’ve always liked Shimano and never had problems, only Avids I’ve had seemed to have a lot of lever travel before biting so needed fettling and the Hayes have been a bit wooden, but will these Hayes and Avids be a lot better and as good as the Saints so save myself a few pennies? Anyone experience any or all of these?

Hadge
    Free Member

Saints. My mate runs them and he races in the World Cup downhill events and they’ve been faultless. Enough said.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got gen 1 and gen 2 Codes. I would get the saints. I also have the elixers, they’re far better, plenty powerful enough and loads more reliable but a long way from perfect. I’ve got mine set up so the lever is almost at the bar before they bite, it reduces arm pump on the long descents, but I guess you could set them up differently if you wanted to.

If you’re interested in how I broke my brakes you can read my mini review of my Avid Codes.

Northwind

Out of your choices I’d get the Saints, but, personally I’d recommend you check out the old Formula Oros, there’s still stock at silly prices (£150-ish for a pair complete with big rotors and hardware) and they’re excellent brakes.

Old design but it ain’t broke- I’m a cowardly deathgripper when it comes to DH trails and I’ve never had a hint of overheat from mine, not in france and not up fort william (turned a 160mm rotor a pretty colour though! But still kept working fine, same pads still going strong too.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Mmm, interesting review doug, thanks.

I reckon I’ll go with the Saints, from reading reviews and google’ing it seems they will be the most reliable so I reckon they’ll be worth the extra £’s

My only dilemma now is what size rotors to go for, I was thinking 203F and 180R, I’ve got those at the moment with some SLX’s but can’t honestly say I notice a big difference between my XT’s with 180/160’s, but if I get the Saints will it be too much with 203/180’s … I’ve just started laughing to myself while I’m typing that, can you have ‘too much’ braking? I’m hoping to get decent one-finger braking for those long descents, so 203/180’s it is! 😆

ahwiles
    Free Member

what makes you think you need new brakes?

your slx brakes are more than up to the job.

how about spending the money on some coaching/guiding? – you’ll be amazed what a good coach/guide can show you.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Just thinking if I’m constantly doing long downhill runs it might be better to have stronger brakes that require less pulling on the levers to get good braking, less hand cramps at the end of the day. But, I know what you mean about the skills course, I did mean to do one, but don’t think there’s any local so would need to travel … something I might look into.

coogan
    Free Member

Used SLX’s over there last year, never missed a beat the whole week, they were awesome.

coogan
    Free Member

In fact they replaced my old Code’s on my bike. Code’s were great, SLX better IMO.

Trimix
    Free Member

+1 for the Saints.

Ive just come back from the Alps – I weigh 95kg and found they never faded. They just worked well and felt the same over the 5 days I was there. I put a new set of pads in and they lasted the whole trip – it was dry and I did bed them in first.

Im running big rotors – which is important, also the size of the pads is large, which also makes a difference.

As the pads wore I slighly adjusted the bite point, but thats all.

Quality bit of kit.

There is no way you can have too much brake – spend some time in the Alps and you will realise that question is daft. Get the biggest rotors you can.

ahwiles
    Free Member

don’t use spray lube – the mist gets everywhere, it seems especially drawn to brake discs.

don’t use cheap brake-pads.

adjust the position of your brake levers, to ‘down a bit from horizontal’ – this way you can rest on the palm of your hand, and you no longer need to grip so hard to hold on.

the SLX brakes that you already have are very, very good.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SLX Brakes will be more than upto the task.

Ive used my old XT’s with 180mm rotors for the last two years, fine both times.

Just give them a fresh bleed before you go out and put some nice pads in. Use some 203mm rotors if you feel the need.

tracknicko
    Free Member

unless you are in the alps for some time, spanking £300 on some new brakes could be considered excessive.

fit the biggest rotor you can to your current brake. freshly bleed them, get a few sets of proper oem pads.

no brake is uncookable. people quoting their personal experiences doesnt necessarily mean sh1t.

as for quoting ‘mates who ride in wc’s’…

peaty regularly runs tiny xc brakes, and conversly one rider was trying out NINE INCH rotors over at MSA this weekend…

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks, all food for thought. I managed to blue my discs on a transalp trip last year, but they were 185/160 XT levers deore calipers oe pads, not all day downhill stuff but there were some long descents, taking a heavier bike this time and I’m no racing wippet.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Formula Oro Megas might be worth a look. Super powerful and unbelievably cheap at Merlin at the mo. 203mm discs each end!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Scott they look good, good reviews too, not sure about 203mm rear though, although that could be changed to a 180 if I find it too much, Formula rotors look expensive though.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

YOu can use any 180 rotor if it’s too big. But why would it be too much?

ahwiles
    Free Member

kojak! – stop it.

your brakes are fine.

bad kojak.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Think I might be locking up a 203mm rear too easily.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

😆

hora
    Free Member

I’m selling my Formula Oro K24’s with 2x160mm rotors plus adaptors for each if interested OP?

Some scratches on calipers but only about 6months old.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-formula-oro-k24-10019/

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Think I might be locking up a 203mm rear too easily.

Don’t pull it as much; doesn’t lock.

I’ve got a set on my Yeti. They are strong, but easy to modulate. At that price you should bite their hands off.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I did look into those Formula Mega but on enquiring the rear hose is too short (1400mm) for my bike and any spare parts for Formula’s seem expensive – I looked into getting a new rear hose and I think it was about £36 for the kit, plus you got the hassle of bleeding them too, so in the end decided to stick with the SLX’s

larrythelathe
    Free Member

i ran oro last year and code this year. i like the codes i am a heavy guy and felt the codes performed better.i do agree with pads tho get the best you can

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hoses too short? They are too long for an ASR7; where does the hose go on your frame?

Anyway, Goodridge hose kit £18, spare pads £8. I don’t think that’s too expensive, I must be minted.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve had codes, new 4 pot saints and elixirs, saints are the best, but then I never had a single issue with my codes, found them to be ample enough brakes for my 14 stone. elixirs are amazing little brakes too, so ggod I have got them on all my bikes now.

I have a set of codes with 203mm discs and adaptors for sale for £130 posted if you are interested.
    I might be interested in parting with my saints, £130 no discs or adaptors though.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Brakes – Hayes Ace, Avid Code or Saints?’ is closed to new replies.