Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Brake Pads – bedding in
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Is it possible to bed in disc brake pads, in advance.

For example, i have three sets of pads and i fit each one in turn and then bed in the pads before removing them and sealing them back up to keep as spares.

will this work ok or will the change to the rotor while using the first set of pads render the ‘bedding’ process virtually useless on subsequent ‘pre-bedded’ pads?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Works a treat actually. I tend to stick to one brand, one compound though. Not sure if it will work as well with mixed pads.

xiphon
    Free Member

Just put the new pads in and ride. Geeeez….

soobalias
    Free Member

yeah xiphon, just put the new pads in, ride, then complain when you wear through a brand new set of pads in one ride. Geeeez….

thanks for your input tho.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes that should work especially if they are all the same type – maybe not 100 % as the disc could wear in between pad changes but it will be 99%

Its what folk do for the strathpuffer

steve_b77
    Free Member

The bedding in process of choice would be?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brake hard and get the pads nice and hot – you can feel the change as they start to grip better and lever feel gets harder

unklehomered
    Free Member

If i’m worried conditions are gonna kill pads straight out the gate, say if its rained for 40 days and 40 nights (just imagine it i know we’re in a drought), I turn the bike upside down (sorry rightway uppers), put pads in rear, spin wheel up, brake med hard, so the pad gets some heating, repeat 20 times. Let cool, take those pads, out, put in front brake, then repeat for new pair and leave those in the rear. No reason why you couldn’t do this and bag the pads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Brake Pads – bedding in’ is closed to new replies.