Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Brake bleed and hose length?
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Evening all, just bleed my brakes…xt m775…and the front is great, tight and quick bite, however the rear just doesn’t feel as good, still works fine, but has more throw on the lever before locking.
    Have done a bleed at the reservoir and back filled with a syringe and I’m pretty confident any air has gone, so am I trying to achieve something that isn’t going to happen, and also does the extra length of the rear hose come into play with regards to feel?

Cheers, it’s late and I really should be doing something better, so put me out of my misery and recommend me a solution 🙂

coatesy
    Free Member

Hose length won’t make a noticable difference, having high and low spots in the hose may create air pockets when bleeding, so it’s best to try and straighten the hose whilst doing this(some full sussers are bad for this). The fluid path into the new levers can also cause problems too, if you could view it, you’d see there isn’t a constant upward path for the air to take into the reservoir, so you may need to tilt the lever body slightly up and down whilst flicking the lever blade to release any trapped air(Guess what i’ve spent about 20 mins doing today).

RDL-82
    Free Member

Didn’t think it would make much difference tbh, as surely the fluid amount is the key.
    Never been totally happy with the back brake, might have to leave the caliper hanging right down straight, over night, with the reservoir cap off, and try again tomorrow. It’s not bad, just feels like it could be better.

coatesy
    Free Member

As long as the caliper’s aligned correctly(perfectly square to the rotor,pads contacting at exactly the same time),it sounds like trapped air.Did two sets of XTs yesterday, two saints the day before, and all exhibited the same symptoms prior to removing a shed-load of air by flicking the lever, unfortunately this is pretty common since fashion dictated a forward facing hose and stopped them self purging any air into the reservoir.I’d also try the front too, you may be surprised at how much air you can get from a system that’s been bled.

TimS
    Free Member

I’d also try the front too, you may be surprised at how much air you can get from a system that’s been bled.

Agreed. I bled my Formulas a few weeks ago, then turned the bike upside down to fit the wheels and found that I’d not done as good a job as I’d thought 🙁

RDL-82
    Free Member

Well clamped up the levers last night and have a slightly better feel today, doubt the front going to improve but the rear still isn’t as tight as the front, can’t be bothered playing about anymore today, can’t ride it with a broken wrist anyway just wanted to get it sorted for when I’m back on it.

Any tips for getting the best out of xt 775 brakes? Other than tapping he’ll out of the system while bleeding.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

try the forum search function, there are loads of threads discussing these brakes in depth, they seem more susceptible to feeling spongey from new than many others.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Brake bleed and hose length?’ is closed to new replies.