Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Boys/Girls… probability ponderer
  • funkynick

Hehehe… does anyone remember this, which caused some debate I seem to recall… ;o)

If I have two children, one of which is a girl, what is the probability that I have two girls?

Well, a new twist seems to have appeared on this one. A person asked:

If I have two children, one being a boy born on a Tuesday, what is the probability that I have two boys?

They then proceeded to say

The first thing you think is 'What has Tuesday got to do with it?' Well, it has everything to do with it.

So all you great minds out there… what do we think?

Farticus

Still 50%. Tuesday is irrelevant. All IMHO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is either 33% if you wish to use the scientific methodology to get your answer – this more accurately reflects reality
    or
    50% if you wish to use binary deductive logic as it is either a boy or a girl and that will be right 100% of the time
    I fail to see what Tuesday has to do with it though i understand the maths behind it and the result is 13/27.
    I very much doubt its empirically substantiated -it actually happens in the real world – as essentially in scenario one you have a boy born on a certain day [ you have just not stated the day] and may just be a mathematical artefact.
    Essentially numbers and sytems make approximations of relaity that ,ay or may not be accurate – we can actually test the Tuesday thing has anyone?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

I seem to remember the the sex of a child can be influenced by the amount of time the sperm is "hanging around" before being used. Something to do with male sperm lasting longer than female sperm.

Or is it the other way around? Can't find the info I need to remind me…

GrahamS

The original puzzle for those that missed it:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-boy-girl-puzzle

And please, for the love of Kylie, read it before saying "It's 50%". It's not. And it's not some weird statistics anomaly – it is the actual truth. Fact.

Anyway, this new twist, hmmm, I can't get the relevance of the Tuesday, so (assuming we're in a world where the chance of a boy or girl is exactly 50%) I'll stick with the answer of 33% but I'm listening with interest…

GrahamS

Ah wait, does "one being born on a Tuesday" imply that the other one wasn't?

scaredypants

grahams – indeed, comes down to semantics

or does it ?

If I tell you that I wasn't born on a Tuesday, does that mean threre's a 1/7 chance I don't exist or a 1/13 chance that I'm female

(looks at chest) hmmmmm, you may be onto something

Farticus

Retracts earlier post 😳

33%, again IMHO! Still don't see what Tuesday has to do with it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

It adds the variable of tuesday and this alters the probability- see below. However, unlike with knowing the gender- which eradicats the female/female option- I cannot see how this actually alter the actual likelyhodd of anything changing in the real world if we empirically measued data for all males born on a Tuesday. In the first scenario the boy has to be born on some day anyway so nothing really has changed. It is interesting but not unlikely to be matched by observation IMHO
    Here is the maths for interest

Let's list the equally likely possibilities of children, together with the days of the week they are born in. Let's call a boy born on a Tuesday a BTu. Our possible situations are:

?When the first child is a BTu and the second is a girl born on any day of the week: there are seven different possibilities.
    ?When the first child is a girl born on any day of the week and the second is a BTu: again, there are seven different possibilities.
    ?When the first child is a BTu and the second is a boy born on any day of the week: again there are seven different possibilities.
    ?Finally, there is the situation in which the first child is a boy born on any day of the week and the second child is a BTu – and this is where it gets interesting. There are seven different possibilities here too, but one of them – when both boys are born on a Tuesday – has already been counted when we considered the first to be a BTu and the second on any day of the week. So, since we are counting equally likely possibilities, we can only find an extra six possibilities here.

Summing up the totals, there are 7 + 7 + 7 + 6 = 27 different equally likely combinations of children with specified gender and birth day, and 13 of these combinations are two boys. So the answer is 13/27, which is very different from 1/3.

It seems remarkable that the probability of having two boys changes from 1/3 to 13/27 when the birth day of one boy is stated – yet it does, and it's quite a generous difference at that. In fact, if you repeat the question but specify a trait rarer than 1/7 (the chance of being born on a Tuesday), the closer the probability will approach 1/2.

scaredypants

…if we empirically measued data for all males born on a Tuesday…

I think that's the point though – the situation is asking what you can infer from what the statements tell you about ONE existant family

If the sentence is " and ONLY one of them is a boy born on Tuesday ", then the increased likelihood of the other child being female is probably true.

If the (unspoken) 4th sentence COULD be "and the other one is also", then you're back on the simple maths

(I do prefer the moobs version myself though) 😉 😳

genghispod
    Free Member

Oh the f@@k dear. All you would-be mathematicians are missing a crucial part of Quantum Analysis. Combinations and permutations are two different concepts and will give wildly different answers.

It's 50%.

Probability is easy to understand and is only made to seem complicated by people who want to seem clever.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what you can infer from what the statements tell you about ONE existant family

Correct but if this inference is wrong , that is not matched by actually observing this in the real world, then the inference is empirically inoorrect. The variable does not alter the actual occurence IMHO and therefore the inference is wrong. Nothing has changed to increase the chance of male child you will still observe 33% nor 13/27.
    An interesting case where the probability calculation is correct but the answer is wrong ❓
    Moobs? No knowledge of this sorry.

scaredypants

OK genghis,

I've got two coins on my desk (UK and can only be 1p 2p 5p 10p 20p 50p or £1)

ONLY one of them is a 1p piece showing tails (but the other could be a 1p showing heads)

You have to bet your house/life on whether the other one is heads or tails

Which would you pick ?

scaredypants

junkyard, I think it's too small a sample to expect to apply population averages

sc-xc

you know…some people unkindly say that the people on this site are geeks.

Who'd have thunk it.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

scaredypants – I would choose whichever one took my fancy. I get the whole probability thing. But the coin has already landed, only has two sides and is a separate entity and I prefer logic to probability.

genghispod
    Free Member

OK Scaredypants,

Assuming that you've already flipped the 1p (resulting in Tails), And assuming that there may or may not be another 1p coin (which you haven't specified) the answer is 50%. The next coin will land on one side or the other. The landing of the previous coin will not affect the outcome.

scaredypants

(I don't think it's 1/3 "normally" though – seems to me that we can double the frequency of Boy & Boy just by naming them; so funkynick eldest & junkyard youngest but also vice versa)

igm

I think I've got this right…

I have two children, one is a boy, what is the probability the other is = 33%

I have wo children, the first is a boy, what is the probability the other is = 50%

scaredypants

I have two children, one is a boy, what is the probability the other is = 33%

If you have it right, I haven't:

so he either has a younger sibling – what sex? (B or G)
    or an older sibling – what sex? (B or G)

or, if ONE is a boy, zero%

Junkyard
    Free Member

The only combinations of children we can have with two are : M M. M F. F F. All of which are equally likely 25%. The question states that one child is female. We cannot get M M so we are left with three options, FF, F M , M F – or 33% chance of two females. This is what actually happens in the real world.

Again as I have said saying 50% is clearly correct we only hve two choices male or female and each chance is 50% IF THAT IS ALL YOU KNOW or you want to use dedcuative reasoning only. However as the maths above shows you will actually have F F in 33% of all scenarios with one female as 25% of scenarios ( M M ) cannot occur and are not in your sample.

Assuming that you've already flipped the 1p (resulting in Tails), And assuming that there may or may not be another 1p coin (which you haven't specified) the answer is 50%. The next coin will land on one side or the other. The landing of the previous coin will not affect the outcome.

You are correct in that example but if the two coins are already flipped and you are told one is tails the odds of the other being a tail is not 50 /50. If you want to do this with flipped coins and we flip two get at keast one tail and you call heads and I call tails for the other one . I will do it for £100 a throw for 1000 times and you can see if it was 50/ 50 😆 we throw 25% of coins away and this alters the odds. One result does not cause the other though.

scaredypants – Member
    junkyard, I think it's too small a sample to expect to apply population averages

It is a probability so we would need to do it for a number of measures to be certain of it's accuracy. We could get any combination no matter how unlikely on one measure – the odds being 1/27.
    You either get this or you dont it is counter intuiative but is is correct. I undersatnd why people say 50/50but itis not correct

Junkyard
    Free Member

igm same question different words 33%. If you have two boys both the first and the second are boys

scaredypants

We could get any combination no matter how unlikely on one measure – the odds being 1/27

when you said that stuff about empirically measuring data for boys born on a Tuesday you were using it to make the argument that

I cannot see how this actually alter the actual likelyhodd of anything changing in the real world

not sure you can have it both ways 😉

The only combinations of children we can have with two are : M M. M F. F F. All of which are equally likely 25%

IMO, if we're identifying a child (lets say boy a), we have to incorporate the opportunity for that child to be eldest or youngest of a pair.

4 possibilities Ba:Bb Bb:Ba Ba:G G:Ba 50:50

GrahamS

I knew this would happen.

genghispod: The original answer to the question IS 33%. There is no doubt about this. It is not some weird statistical trick – it's just what actually happens in actual reality. If you doubt this then go back and read the original thread. I even ended up doing a nice google spreadsheet that illustrated it happening right in front of your eyes.

Now, on this Tuesday thing, can the OP confirm if he means ONLY the boy mentioned was born on a Tuesday?

tinribz
    Free Member

Most babies are born on Tuesday, why? Because doctors done't like working weekends so the c-sections are scheduled after = Tuesday peak. Relevance / c-sec = twins.

Intuitively I'm guessing (because thinking is hard) that this takes us back to 50% (ironically for those that do not understand the 33% thing) because there is an insinuation both were born simultaneously, or was in effect one event?

Or something, maybe,

scaredypants

I even ended up doing a nice google spreadsheet that illustrated it happening right in front of your eyes

THAT, sir, is an outrage – this is from-the-hip pseudomaths, not spreadsheets !

dunno if you were here then, but last time I got involved in one of these (oddly, turned out I was wrong 😉 ) I played a real game on stw for money with a clever man who knew he would win. Much more exciting that way !

(Now I can see that there are twice as many 2-kid families with one of each as there are with 2 boys, but STILL I can't go for the 33% on this 😳 )

Junkyard
    Free Member

4 possibilities Ba:Bb Bb:Ba Ba:G G:Ba 50:50

like the argumene bit in the example cited this si not relevant but I do like it as an argument..interesting point to argue but reality is not 50/50.

(Now I can see that there are twice as many 2-kid families with one of each as there are with 2 boys, but STILL I can't go for the 33% on this 😳

Theres the rub.

igm

Junkyard – Member
    igm same question different words 33%.

Not so Junkyard
    4 posibilities
    MM
    MF
    FM
    FF
    Now if one is a boy, you exclude FF and the chance of two boys is 33%
    But if the first is a boy, you exclude both FF and FM, leaving MM and MF, so the chance of two boys is 50%.

Always assuming that certain families don't just tend towards boys or girls (and there is evidence that they do I believe).

Would you disagree?

donald
    Free Member

All the calculations are based round a male:female ratio of 50:50.

Something I didn't know until I just googled it – apparently the natural male:female birth ratio in humans is not 1:1 – it is something like 1.05:1. I think this is to offset the fact that the death rate of young males is higher than that of young females and the excess males die off giving us a 1:1 ratio at breeding age. As the question is based around children there will be more boys than girls in that age group. Therefore we'll need to tweak the calculated result (if the calculation is based on a 50/50 male female split)!

GrahamS is still right though 🙂

GrahamS

Yeah I suspect occurences of paternal vs maternal twins also messes it up. But i did say in the original that for the sake of argument it was a 'perfect' 50:50 world.

donald
    Free Member

Surely a perfect world would be 9 women for every man.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Those arguing for the 50% might just as well argue that the odds of winning the lottery jackpot are 50:50 as you either win or you don't.

Just because there are only two possible outcomes, it does not follow that the probabilities are necessarily equal. As for what the whole Tuesday thing means I have no idea, but I know that my grasp of probability is so weak than any answer I come up with will be wrong. Probably.

igm

Apologies to one and all for continuing it – I was merely trying to show how the precise wording of the question affects the answer.

Yeah I know – if you change the question you get a different answer. Stunning, is it not?

bassspine
    Free Member

it's from this weeks new scientist

To answer the question you need to first look at all the equally likely combinations of two children it is possible to have: BG, GB, BB or GG. The question states that one child is a boy. So we can eliminate the GG, leaving us with just three options: BG, GB and BB. One out of these three scenarios is BB, so the probability of the two boys is 1/3.

Now we can repeat this technique for the original question. Let's list the equally likely possibilities of children, together with the days of the week they are born in. Let's call a boy born on a Tuesday a BTu. Our possible situations are:

* When the first child is a BTu and the second is a girl born on any day of the week: there are seven different possibilities.
    * When the first child is a girl born on any day of the week and the second is a BTu: again, there are seven different possibilities.
    * When the first child is a BTu and the second is a boy born on any day of the week: again there are seven different possibilities.
    * Finally, there is the situation in which the first child is a boy born on any day of the week and the second child is a BTu – and this is where it gets interesting. There are seven different possibilities here too, but one of them – when both boys are born on a Tuesday – has already been counted when we considered the first to be a BTu and the second on any day of the week. So, since we are counting equally likely possibilities, we can only find an extra six possibilities here.

Summing up the totals, there are 7 + 7 + 7 + 6 = 27 different equally likely combinations of children with specified gender and birth day, and 13 of these combinations are two boys. So the answer is 13/27, which is very different from 1/3.

It seems remarkable that the probability of having two boys changes from 1/3 to 13/27 when the birth day of one boy is stated – yet it does, and it's quite a generous difference at that. In fact, if you repeat the question but specify a trait rarer than 1/7 (the chance of being born on a Tuesday), the closer the probability will approach 1/2.

GrahamS

Hmm seems to me that adding the Tuesday clause means that they end up counting BB twice because they now have extra information to differentiate between the boys.

Makes sense I guess.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would you disagree?

no i was wrong 😳
    on your original 33% 50% with one boy and then the first is a boy.
    Your answers are correct. The gender of the next born child is unaffected by the gender of the previous child so it will always be 50/50.

scaredypants

(seems I dont do maths or logic) :

so if IGM can make that 50% argument for the eldest I think I can make it for the youngest, too

If so, it doesn't matter which the 1st mentioned kid is, the answer is 50%
    So why isn't it 50% anyway ? 😳 😥

igm

'Cos it isn't. It just isn't.

igm

By the way if you like that one…

If a man walks up a hill, taking all day to do so, and camps at the top before walking down the next day, is there a point where he is in the same position as he was exactly 24 hours earlier?

You may all get the answer but it normally starts arguments.

If you care.

bassspine
    Free Member

is the mountain on a conveyor belt? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Boys/Girls… probability ponderer’ is closed to new replies.