Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)
  • bothering to indicate…
  • johndoh
    Free Member

I still do it now when I’m in the car.

I do too (never taken a bike test but I somehow found myself shoulder checking when overtaking despite it not being recommended). I also shoulder check to my left at many junctions when I am turning left due to the amount of times I have encountered bikes coming up on my inside when in slow traffic.

scaredypants

Here’s another for you roundabout fans:

Although it’s a popular option, I’m somewhat of the opinion that to take the first exit via the “3rd” lane off to your right here makes you a Jeremy Hunt

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MKi7Rt]roundabollocks[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

however, read on ….

aracer
    Free Member

Well that’s certainly an interesting bit of road in terms of the arrow debate

scaredypants

I’ve had the argument that, because there are 3 lanes* off the 1st exit and beacuse exit 1 is “nearly straight ahead once you get to the roundabout”, the RHS lane is fair game despite singage & road markings

[url=https://flic.kr/p/9omVdh]275hope[/url] by scaredypants, on Flickr

* the LHS of the 3 lanes is a quite rapidly approaching turn into a small shopping area and almost all of the traffic from lanes 1 and 2 is trying to move out into lanes 2 and 3 on exiting the roundabout.

I still think it’s a ****’s trick to use the 3rd lane but agree it’s unclear signage that causes tha main issue

(Hope st, out of Portsmouth onto the M275)

DezB
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    Just give us a Google maps link?

Here, my first one
    There is a sign. Very hard to see on Google.

aracer
    Free Member

it’s unclear signage that causes tha main issue

I’m assuming people using the 3rd lane to take the first exit are ignoring the significance of the “island” which wouldn’t be there if you were intended to do that? As with Graham’s roundabout ( 😀 that is now in my predictive text) the road layout and lane markings are the most important thing, with signage just helping out (where it isn’t hindering by being a load of bollocks)

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Is the right hand lane the inside lane on a roundabout?

aracer
    Free Member

Found the sign – there was a bus getting in the way https://goo.gl/maps/u8qzrWStUdB2

The sign is kind of bizarre, because it quite clearly doesn’t match the actual geometry, not even based on the orientation of the roads at a distance from the roundabout, let alone as they meet the roundabout. Based on that sign I’d definitely indicate left, but on actually getting to the roundabout and seeing the real layout I’m not so sure.

aracer
    Free Member

Regarding arrows providing advice on which lane to be in on the entry to a roundabout, which lane should you be in here to turn right at the roundabout?

https://goo.gl/maps/PSf1DZTuj4r

(apologies for the shonky streetview – there isn’t a current one for the appropriate side of the road and if you scroll around you’ll find it reverting to the old road layout – it’s only a few hundred metres away from my previous one).

belugabob
    Free Member

I don’t think the standard is falling to a particularity bad level.

Them you need to join me on my commute – it’s bordering on terrifying

There are countries with traffic issues that make us look like the best drivers in the world

But, the key differences is that those countries probably never had decent standards, so can’t get any worse. The UK, on the other hand, seems to have thrown away and regard for learning how to do things properly and considerately (and that doesn’t just apply to driving, either)

wrightyson
    Free Member

The roads are littered with bell ends these days, most of whom think only their journey is important and they must make progress whatever the cost…

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)

The topic ‘bothering to indicate…’ is closed to new replies.