Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Borrowdale Bash today. It was rubbish. (bodge content)
  • Kahurangi

Just kidding. What a beautiful day for a cracking ride.

Tall Paul and I had a great time despite some mechanical misdemeanours befouling us 🙂

Firstly, spot what’s wrong with this pic (2 points available, minus 10 points for pointless pedantry :p )

Paul rode the final three quarters of the route like this. Well done that man!

We did the additional path on the way up to Watendlath (note, realised later that it may not have been a permissive Bridleway as we thought). It was excellent though and probably my favourite part of the ride. I’ll clean it one day.

On the way down from Honister Pass Paul managed to have a sideways off the bike moment, further damaging his mech and requiring further attention to get the gear working again. Silly boy.

The later on we found he had only half a pump attached to his frame, as it fell off at the river near Grange.

This photo shows it was still attached at the previous gate!

The final tracks were a bit tame and smooth but what a cracking ride 🙂

/edit – answers posted tomorrow 😈

sambob
    Free Member

Half a lower jockey wheel gone?

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve seen someone with a split outer make a splint out of some sticks ziptied to the bust piece of the outer such that gear shifting is still possible 🙂

Edit: Ah, you’ve removed the mechanical details, bit late now 🙂

Artillerydave
    Free Member

cable outer missing, then inverted and used to keep mech locked in a gear.

Jammy111
    Free Member

1) half a jockey wheel.
    2) gear inner used to lock the mech in a gear.

2 points, boom!

Kahurangi

Yeah you all got it 🙂

ATP – didn’t think about that, the outer was properly wrecked but it was only a 2 inch length so may have worked.

post script (that I removed) is now replaced below

The picture features a single gear (dual chainring = 2 gears) setup as a rock strike at Watendlath shattered part of the outer cable. 😕 Yeah, bonkers. The rock strike must have pulled the mech outwards putting the inner in so much tension that the sharp corner of outer at the seat tube junction (which was likely already worn) collapsed and split outwards into a rusty mess. Forgot to take a photo of that as we removed the outer entirely.

The same rock strike removed a quarter of the aligner pulley.

We changed the jockey wheels round and used the inner cable to get us at least back to Keswick but instead completed the ride like that!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Yeah it was nice out this morning, I got up onto Grisedale Pike, then ran down to Braithwaite via Coledale, bit misty on top, but warm and dry. Ace.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“gear inner used to lock the mech in a gear”

genius bodge

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We did the additional path on the way up to Watendlath (note, realised later that it may not have been a permissive Bridleway as we thought). It was excellent though and probably my favourite part of the ride

I’ll second that, great bit of techy trail. On an OS map it’s marked in orange, we couldn’t work out whether it was legal or not, but probably not. There’s no fast bits, just techy riding, so mtbers using it are unlikely to upset walkers.

PaulMc
    Free Member

Did it yesterday with MrsMc. Superb ride and so warm. Many great sections but the singletrack from Seatoller to Castle Crag and the Castle Crag descent were my favourites. The descent was superb, some walkers even held the gate at the bottom open for me so I could launch off the drops.

jimmyjames
    Free Member

Wow, great bodge. Going to remember that!

Mugboo

That techy path is lovely and the walkers we met seemed to enjoy watching our impressive trials skillz 😉

ampthill

It replaces the screw the limiter screw right in, which works but rarely gets you low enough for me on the block.

Pukeko
    Free Member

So Paul didn’t wreck a hanger? That’s a change!! I guess the green maching is wrapped away for the summer?? 😉

Kahurangi

So Paul didn’t wreck a hanger? That’s a change!! I guess the green machine is wrapped away for the summer??

So that’s who you are 😉

No, I think the hanger is a write off. Well bent. And no, I’ll probably be on the Dream Machine of Pipe Leans and Green on Wednesday. I depends on just how fast you’d like to get cajoled up the hills.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Borrowdale Bash today. It was rubbish. (bodge content)’ is closed to new replies.