Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bombproof singlespeed hubs king/hope/phil
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Looking at getting a new wheel set built up – looking for some really low maintenance hubs – any suggestions?

Also which would be better, freewheel like hope, or the screw on type such as a white industries

clubber
    Free Member

A standard wheel with single sprocket and spacers unless you really just want to spend more money than necessary. There’s no real world advantage of a SS-specific hub and they typically cost more. Plus worse, if you go for a screw on one, even if you spend lots on a WI freewheel, they’re not as reliable as normal hubs IME.

ericemel
    Free Member

Clubber – a singlespeed wheel can be built up symmetrically unlike a standard hub, which gives additional strength. Atheistically they look better than a spaced cassette. Also they are no more expensive….hope/DT/King/Phil Wood are all comparable or cheaper.

clubber
    Free Member

Clubber – a singlespeed wheel can be built up symmetrically unlike a standard hub, which gives additional strength

People always come up with this trying to justify it. In the real world it makes no difference. We don’t see normal cassette wheels folding up all the time.

Aesthetics – now you’re coming to it 🙂 By all means buy one because it’s a bit neater, just don’t try and pretend there’s any functional benefit particularly as they’re typically less reliable (mini cassette types excepted).

bentos
    Free Member

I have had the Hope singlespeed/trials hub for 2 years now and it has been fairly good. The Pawl springs went after 8 months (due to riding it through a river) but a quick email to Hope and some new springs arrived (for free) and were very easy to fit. I have also changed the bearings once in that time.

I would say that they are not low maintenance but they are easy to sort out, look good and perform well. In comparison my experience of screw on freewheels is that when they go the go completely leaving you with a push, they are also much more costly to replace than just some pawls and springs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my hope pro 2 ss is now 7 years old and done a pile of miles

changed the bearings for the first time this year and stuck it on my ragley – still pulling like a dream 😀

ericemel
    Free Member

Yes a buddy runs the hope with no issues at all – though it does sound like a Hornets Nest!

Andy-R

I’ve been using a Hope Pro 2 SS/trials hub for about three years now and not had any problems with it – I like it.
    Another advantage of specific SS hubs is that they usually have more engagement points than “normal” hubs, whether you think this is much of an advantage depends on how much ratcheting you do (I seem to do a lot).

ericemel
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies – seems Hope is the way to go!

postierich
    Free Member

Got a Wi hub with screw on freewheel great freewheels but utter crap bearing protection in the hubs!
    King SS hub is great but needs looking after but I enjoy stripping king stuff down you need to cost in tools though!
    Go for Hope IMHO

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bombproof singlespeed hubs king/hope/phil’ is closed to new replies.