Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Bloodhound
  • franksinatra

Done a quick search but couldn’t find a thread. Anyone else watching this?

Amazing fact this morning, Bloodhound is broadly speaking the same size as a Red Arrow Hawk, but more powerful than all of the Red Arrows aircraft combined.

jimjam
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-technology/bmw-driver-trying-to-overtake-supersonic-car-20171026138077
    Mash on form already

330d with M-Sport pack or an A4 S-Line tdi would have been more apt but yeah.

northernmatt

360 degree video done by the beeb, pretty cool.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk56oPTr7co[/video]

legend
    Free Member

330? 318d (debadged) Shirley?

matt_outandabout

It is bloody brilliant – and I am hooked….

newrobdob
    Free Member

Sorry can someone explain the point of the 360 video to me please? I genuinely can’t see why it’s filmed like that!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Sorry can someone explain the point of the 360 video to me please? I genuinely can’t see why it’s filmed like that!

VR?

shermer75
    Free Member

1,000 mph. Ooof!

P20

I think it has popped up occasionally. My name is on the tail fin!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Mine Too..At least I have paid for it to be on the tail fin. I would like to check that it is.

It is built at a place in Avonmouth, it looks like any other shed on an industrial estate.
    Not much been happening there for a while, layed loads of people off for a while.

Good to see that progress is still being made. They will need a bigger tail fin if they want to get the money they need..

milky1980
    Free Member

Been following it since the original announcement, bought my dad his name on the fin for his last birthday too.

It’s amazing the effort they’ve put into the project considering they are actually trying to beat themselves. Really hope they do take the record above 1000, should stand for a very long time.

matt_outandabout

I’ve posted this before. Grab a cuppa and enjoy..
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4AyytkpiB0[/video]

ourmaninthenorth

Had a beer with Andy Green. Actually we all had lots. Next morning I felt rough and he looked pin sharp as ever..!

prawny

I’m in Newquay this week, gutted I didn’t know about it earlier or I’d have tried to get tickets to watch the test runs. Weather looks mint for tomorrow too.

Might drive past with the windows down anyway just in case.

mick_r

Eldest lad was land speed obsessed from infant school age, probably a year or two before Bloodhound started. We drove down to one of the first supporters club gatherings at UWE where he somehow sat and listened through a day of lectures without complaint. He was totally awestruck to meet Richard Noble and Andy Green.

Been loosely following it ever since but his schools never really seemed that interested.

Having seen some of the early planning presentations, the scale of the challenge and the basic physics of acceleration / deceleration on the vehicle and driver are pretty scary.

P20

I can’t explain why, but I love the land speed cars. The Thrust SSC project was fantastic and the book is excellent. Supersonic dreams (if you can find it, whole film used to be on YouTube) is fascinating. I find it truly captivating

Northwind

This is just awesome, exactly like making a dinosaur out of blutac only with a forklift and a press the size of a house

[video]https://youtu.be/K_ImAm1WhcY?t=84[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Meh, does nothing for me.

aracer
    Free Member

On that video about a minute in he’s talking about the engine and says “at 1000mph we go 200mph faster than the jet fighter at that speed”. It struck me as a bit of a funny comment at the time – I’ve now checked the Eurofighter specs and it’s claiming 1550mph at altitude. If he means at sea level then it still does 950mph. Though their venue isn’t at sea level anyway, it’s at 800m altitude – I suspect a Eurofighter might manage 1000mph at that altitude given those specs.

Or am I missing the point of his comment?

allthegear
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a strange thing to say, anyway. Bloodhound only gets a small proportion of its total thrust from the Eurofighter engine. Most of it will come from the (Norwegian) rocket motor.

Rachel

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Or am I missing the point of his comment?

which is to amaze the general public with just how damn fast this thing is, not necessarily technical accuracy?

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I think it’s brilliantly bonkers!
    My name also hopefully on the tailfin in a minute font…

For anyone interested, Richard Noble’s podcast with Motorsport Magazine is a great listen, the lengths they have to go to beggars belief.
    For example, they found that the tide up the river Severn was affecting their laser geometry setup by a mm or two.

aracer
    Free Member

About 40% from the EJ200 at full speed apparently.

Yeah, but a lot of the interested audience have a certain amount of tech knowledge, and it doesn’t take much to know that the Eurofighter does mach 2. Hence it just grates a bit.

GrahamS

If it looks all weird and distorted, like this:

Then you are not viewing it correctly (often happens with embedded videos). Open in the YouTube app on your phone/tablet and it should look like a normal video Like this:

except you can move your phone/tablet about to pan around and look at different stuff that interests you.

Even better if you slip your phone into a VR headset like this:

And stick some headphones on.

dannybgoode

Bloodhound rocks. Now this is how you get kids interested in tech and engineering – rocket jet cars that do 1000mph.

Bloody brilliant…

Pook

My kids watched it rapt. Even better seeing the Rolls-Royce logo on the engine; “did you make that daddy?”

“No, I work in comms”

Alpha1653

I spent 4 months working for Andy Green a few years ago – a thoroughly nice chap even if he is RAF 😉

I’m following Bloodhoud with interest, good luck Andy!

salad_dodger

How far beyond the original budget are they, and how much more cash will they need to finish the project? Only interested as my wife use to write the cheques for one of the main sponsors and the amount of times Bloodhound people came back with cap in hand was quite something.

CountZero

molgrips – Member
    Meh, does nothing for me.

#tinyviolin

wobbliscott
    Free Member

How far beyond the original budget are they, and how much more cash will they need to finish the project? Only interested as my wife use to write the cheques for one of the main sponsors and the amount of times Bloodhound people came back with cap in hand was quite something.

I’m sure threy’ve come back many times ‘cap in hand’. That’s how these projects roll, one off’s with no really commercial application, just about doing it for the hell of it and an opportunity for sponsors to get associated with something that is pushing the boundaries. That’s what Richard Noble brings to the party, the ability to be able to approach and influence big business and raise the capital needed. It will be what he spends 95% of his time on.

We’ve had many an inspirational speaker at work events all doing similar things like sailing round the world single handidly, and the main challenge is keeping the flow of money comIng. Nobody does this sort of thing for free.

The benefit of this is something that cannot be valued. The company I work for is a main sponsor and we use our association to it’s full effect in a large variety of STEM programmes with schools, universities and overseas projects, and from my limited involnent in this the company has pledged to help out in any way it can so we’re fully committed to see the programme through.

Looking forward to seeing it having a go.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Noble wanted £10 for a signed poster at the NEC motor show off a 13 year old me when he was raising ‘awareness’ for thrust ssc. Told him to bog off at the time.

aracer
    Free Member

My claim to a connection is that I spent a summer working at the company who made the FADEC for the EJ200 (the bit they’re having to cheat to make it work in the car). In the marketing department sadly, though there was stuff to do with the EJ200 in what I did.

ahwiles
    Free Member

I wrote a cmm program to inspect parts of a gearbox that they’re not using anymore…

(I’m so close to the glamour I can smell it!)

edhornby

for the desert runs it won’t have rear wheel brakes – don’t tell the daily mail !

Really hope it all comes together, seems as though the wheels are the really critical part, I wonder how they get bearings to take the load ?

rusty90
    Free Member

seems as though the wheels are the really critical part

Stand by for someone starting a “What tyres for 1000 mph” thread. Nobby Nics will do fine mate.

chip
    Free Member

High speed tyres, you just get old part worn tyres cut off the tread with a carving knife then rub some boot polish into the cracks and you are good to go.

chip
    Free Member

High speed tyres, you just get some old part worn tyres cut off the tread with a carving knife then rub some boot polish into the cracks and you are good to go.

Rich_s

This came up on my YouTube feed this morning.

30.00 for the money shot.

[video]https://youtu.be/xF5XNyi0iYw[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Bloodhound’ is closed to new replies.