Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Blimey! How cold was it earlier?
  • cinnamon_girl

Car was due for service so the plan was to ride home from garage. Garage staff was very concerned for my welfare and said they would be happy to drive me home. No no I’m fine! After all, on the car thermometer it only said -8.5 degrees. 😯

Had a delightfully sunny 10 mile ride along country lanes, apart from 30 metres of frozen ice on the road. Merino wool did its job and I was quite toasty … until I got home. Still having problems with central heating and it had switched itself off. 🙁

How was your start to the day?

RoterStern
    Free Member

-20 this morning!

njee20
    Free Member

No idea how cold it was, pretty parky. My water bottle didn’t have time to freeze in the 9 miles to the office this morning, unlike in the 45 miles back from London yesterday!

meddle
    Free Member

-10 here according to my car, off to do The Wall @ Afan soon, ground will be nice and solid :), let’s hope for no falls as the ground is harder than concrete.

jam-bo

-10 across dartmoor this morning and a car wedged sideways in the only bridge across the dart…

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

-8.5C in Eastbourne this morning

cinnamon_girl

-20? Eastern Europe?

dafoxster
    Free Member

It was cold enough for my Beard to freeze on a two mile commute.

takisawa2

Dont know what temp it was but when I went out for a run at just after 5am it was bitterly cold. Legs just didnt warm up at all. First couple of breaths after closing the back door were a wake up call… 🙂

nickf
    Free Member

-7C when walking the dogs @5am, but a balmy -3C in Central London now.

PaulD
    Free Member

A balmy -5C in my sheltered porch when I went out for 24 miles this morning.

Feet warm in neoprene overboots and porelle drys, but hands went cold in 2 sets of fingered gloves.
    Body and legs warm in a Buffalo Mtn Shirt and windproof tights.

Repeat tomorrow early but with Army Goretex Overmitts and the internal pile arctic extreme mitts.
    Not suitable for MTB or changing gear, but winter roady is SS.

PaulD

Clover

It was cooooooold (but gorgeous). I had to give the sheep seconds. Loving that the paths are more solid than in summer though and I pedaled in pretending that wind chill is some kind of unknown treatment for cellulite. It makes it seem worth it…

rusty90
    Free Member

Did Brechfa last night – green/blue/bits of black. Hit the snow half way up the blue; ruts and tyre tracks through the snow frozen solid, which made life interesting. My freewheel then started sticking, alternating between fixed and neutral, which made life even more interesting. Got home and found it was -5. Went down to -8 overnight and it’s still -2.5 now.
    On the plus side, it’s the first ride for ages when I haven’t come home plastered in mud, and it’s lovely sunny day outside.

toby1

Didn’t get my ride to work this morning – cos I brought the bouncer in the car and am off to Wales this evening. The car isn’t modern enough to tell me the temperature, but I’d guess at only -2/-2.

South Wales, The Weekend Warriors are coming – please ride round our tired broken bodies carefully when on the trails!

hammerite
    Free Member

We only got as far as -4C in the wilds of Bedfordshire last night while we were out riding. Felt fine apart from my toes. Like rusty said tractor ruts and frozen ploughed fields were interesting, I can now see why it might be useful to have a full susser in these parts after all.

StirlingCrispin

A tepid -4C in Stirling.
    This is the same as the sister-in-law is experiencing in the North Yukon – it was -40C there on Monday.

cinnamon_girl

When I removed my cycling clothes, the 4 month old haematoma on my thigh seemed to be a completely different temperature to the rest of me! Different colour too.

smartay

2nd day off here so though i’d have a lie in until time to get up with wife and kids, however dog had other ideas had me up at 0530, bloody cold here in north east wales.
    Just got back from walk absolutely stunning clear blue skies

By the way what is a”haematoma” is it some sort of fashionable leg wear!!!

cinnamon_girl

A haematoma, or hematoma, is a localized collection of blood outside the blood vessels,[1] usually in liquid form within the tissue

There you go – it’s due to rubbish riding. 😉 Mine’s a tea-plate size bulge, wish it could be drained! GP reckons it’s a pint. 😕

Everywhere looks so lovely in the sunshine and sounds as though everyone is appreciating the conditions … maybe. 😉

rewski
    Free Member

I’ve just read this, so wouldn’t dream of complaining about my -5 ride in.

Jill Homer

wisepranker
    Free Member

Cinnamon_girl, check out this video and see if that’s what’s causing your boiler to play up. It’s happened to a couple of friends of mine in the cold weather.

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/homeowner/customer-service/common-winter-boiler-enquiries

foofighter
    Free Member

-11 in the Surrey Hills. A priviledge to be out last night though – trails fast & frozen – clear skies – perfect 😛

ska-49
    Free Member

Cycled to Uni early today and all the piss from the drunks last night froze covering the paths/road in streaks. Long lines of the stuff. Pretty lethal! Imagine trying to explain that..

-8 In Falmouth this morning!

rewski
    Free Member

-11 in the Surrey Hills

You sure?

rewski
    Free Member

-11 in the Surrey Hills

You sure?

rusty90
    Free Member

-11 in the Surrey Hills

Quite possible in a local frost pocket. Widespread low temperatures last night reported by the Met Office :
    Sennybridge, Powys -11.3°C
    Braemar, Aberdeenshire -10.9°C
    Benson, Oxfordshire -10.8°C
    Altnaharra, Highlands -10.4°C
    Woburn, Bedfordshire -9.9°C
    Okehampton, Devon -9.7°C
    Redesdale Camp, Northumberland -9.6°C
    Shap, Cumbria -9.2°C
    Pershore, Worcestershire -8.9°C
    Coningsby, Lincolnshire -8.6°C
    Katesbridge, County Down -8.1°C

hammerite
    Free Member

Woburn, Bedfordshire -9.9°C

That would be a frost pocket. I got to -4.1C on the Garmin last night, although the Garmin is next to my bike headlight so the heat may radiate a little. Amazing the effect of cold has on batteries, they wore down quite a bit quicker than usual.

soma_rich
    Free Member

had ice forming in my hair last night, my thermometer was reading -10 C ish

Think its the coldest I have ever ridden in and certainly got painful after leaving the pub.

sweepy
    Free Member

We had -14 on the thermometer last night, thats not even the coldest this year.

Trimix
    Free Member

Last nights night ride in the Chilterns had two thermometers reading just colder than -7. From Watlington, up over Christmas common down to Turville and back.

Fantastic 3hr ride, dispite falling down some steps like an idiot on a bike.

voodoo_chile

Minus 6 in liverpool this morning hardly moved up all day

martinhutch

Felt at least -5 in gorgeous Skipton this morning. My resistance to shelling out £s for full finger gloves was seeming like a bad move after about a mile.

Fortunately they eventually came back to life. Brilliant few hours over Sharp Haw and the back of Barden Moor then down to Bolton Abbey for coffee and chocolate. All the grass bridleways were near perfect, apart from the hoof holes. Plus the bonus of an inelegant dismount in front of a bemused rambler as the crunchy mud turned into gloopy, slippy stuff.

Awesome.

amedias
    Free Member

only -6 here this morning in Exeter, wasn’t too bad.

Was cold enough on Wednesday nights ride that I had puddle splash-back freezing on my shins 🙁

Massive lump of ice in the shape of half the length of my downtube came off in one go, threw it in the garden, it’s still there now…

ciderinsport
    Free Member

It was blinkin cold riding home at 2am this morning 😯

Even my cider jacket failed…. 😉

withersea
    Free Member

Leeds train station, platform 2, feels like it is the coldest place on earth (I know it isn’t)

portlyone

38C in Cape Town tomorrow, luckily it drops to a more manageable 26 by the time I get there 🙂

Kevevs
    Free Member

Here’s the beebs forecast for Wales

phiiiiil

-7 on Cannock Chase this morning…

Leaky tap by phiiiiil, on Flickr

jimc101
    Free Member

In Wakefield it’s barely gone below zero, still waiting for it to get cold like the rest of the country seems to be.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Blimey! How cold was it earlier?’ is closed to new replies.