Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Blackburn AirTower 4(?) Track Pump – Head / Connection Problems
  • Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Got this to replace a worn out Topeak Joe Blow track pump last year.

Whatever I do I can't get the head to engage properly on presta valves. From starting pumping a flat tube air seems to route out thru the schraeder hole or vent back into the pump.

Not the original owner (although was BNIB) so no chance of warranty. Saw similar comments about it doing this somewhere else.

Got fed up and have replaced it with a Spesh one. Anyone had similar problems with / a fix for the Blackburn? Reluctant to blow (ho ho) more cash on replacement heads / tubes.

Topeak was no probs; pop it on, twist lever and lovely, shame the valve gave out and I bent the shaft.

Had the head apart on the Blackburn but nothing seems worn out or the obvious cause.

Bugger 🙁

Andituk
    Free Member

Yes, I bought a cheap Blackburn pump at one of those sales that are around the country. Won't buy one again, ended up buying a replacement head that when it came was a different design. Loads of stories of problems with them. And the guage is about as accurate as squeezing the tyre and guessing.

Wish I'd bought a Joe Blow.

coatesy
    Free Member

Possibly a stupid question, but you do know the lock on the head turns one way for presta, the other for schraeder?Get it the wrong way and air comes out of the other side, just like you describe.

Andituk
    Free Member

There isn't anything to turn on the head of mine, and I think the Air Tower 4 is the same..

Its just a lever you press down to lock it onto the valve.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Coatsey – you talking about the Topeak? If so, yep, got that. In fact the Joe Blow is schweet. It's the bloody Blackburn that's naff.

Head looks like this:

Just spotted, latest model seems to have a different head:

**** it, I've bought a Spesh' one. Bloody Blackburn ;-(

james
    Free Member

"From starting pumping a flat tube air seems to route out thru the schraeder hole "

It needs a little air in the tube so it 'knows' which hole to shut off. A quick blow (yes with your mouth, its a new tube isn't it?) is more than enough air for it

coatesy
    Free Member

Sorry, that's got a different head to mine, mine has a T-piece with a twist lock.Performed faultlessly for years, for what it's worth.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I have a blackburn with the head as above – very average. Doesn't lock onto presta or schreada valves well.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

It needs a little air in the tube so it 'knows' which hole to shut off. A quick blow (yes with your mouth, its a new tube isn't it?) is more than enough air for it

Sadly not as I can get *some* air in by covering the schraeder valve port with my thumb (certainly more than a quick "manual puff" 😉 and it still doesn't operate properly. I had heard similar from someone else.

Even if what you said were the fix I'd be pretty dis-chuffed. Track pumps are all about simplicity and ease IMO, tossing around with a couple of quick puffs on the valve to make it works justs shows it's a crock.

Just quite surprised at Blackburn given all the other hand pumps I've had are great.

😎

Andituk
    Free Member

"From starting pumping a flat tube air seems to route out thru the schraeder hole "

Mine leaked through the other hole when testing it on a fully inflated tube, so i don't think its that. It's just crap design. If you dismantle the head, there's a small rocker, and presumably the pressure holds other valve shut. Except it doesn't, it just leaks.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

It's just crap design.

Amen to that 😎

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Blackburn AirTower 4(?) Track Pump – Head / Connection Problems’ is closed to new replies.