Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Black Sabbath
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think Ozzy whines and snivels and moans and exalts and is just creepy sounding, which is perfect. I liked RJD but didn’t think his more “operatic” vocal style really suited Sab. I think RJD was great in Rainbow.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

He didn’t have a great voice

It isn’t about the quality, it is the style. And he sings off-key to great effect – a quite unique voice and perfectly suited yo the Sabbath style.

SaxonRider

@C_G

I can believe it about BB King. The thing is, blues isn’t like rock. The latter is supposed to be, by definition, ‘cool’ and ‘rebellious’, etc., etc.

I have no problem with still liking something I liked from the 1970s and 80s; I just think it’s really weird when those very same people are trying to generate in me the same sort of immature, emotional responses I had then.

U2, the Stones are supreme examples of the guilty. Let them all go the way of REM, I say. And let me just add that I am a fan of them all.

Just not in their present forms.

LS
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Its not though is it? Thats what they were 40 years ago. Now they’re just a bunch of old has-beens.

Has-beens? Listen to the last Heaven and Hell album or Iommi/Hughes and tell me that Tony isn’t still relevant.

mmannerr

Good news but I thought Bill Ward’s health issues were severe enough to prevent massive touring? Maybe he’s ok now so they can perform again.

Sue_W
    Free Member

@ c_g – would love to see BB King. Saw Leonard Cohen in Mancester a couple of years ago – 70 years old and he is still one of the most emotionally evocative singers out there, one of the best gigs I’ve ever been to.

Think I’ll pass on the Sabbath reunion tour though!

emsz
    Free Member

tell me that Tony isn’t still relevant

ok, he isn’t relevant anymore, ok?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

What really pisses me off is people whittering on about seeing them ‘back in ’74’ and all that. All well and good but some of us weren’t old enough to see them back then so are happy to be able to see a return to the original line up now.

D28boy
    Free Member

Well I saw them in ’78 at Sheffields City Hall on the Never Say Die tour and they were pretty good & very loud….supported by an up & coming band called VAN HALEN…which hardly anybody watched…fools. I had a great view right up front! That Eddie sure could/can play

cinnamon_girl

What really pisses me off is people whittering on about seeing them ‘back in ’74’ and all that. All well and good but some of us weren’t old enough to see them back then so are happy to be able to see a return to the original line up now.

Just to rub it in m_f, first time I saw them was 1973 at the Royal Albert Hall then again in 1974 at the legendary Rainbow in Finsbury Park. After that I can’t remember, must be an age thing. 😉

Still have a collection of their vinyl albums.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So do I (on vinyl too) pretty much every album up to Mob Rules. They (originally) split just before I started going to gigs at 14. yrs old so I never saw them play live.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I saw them on the ‘Last Supper’ reunion tour at the NEC in 99, with Drain and SoaD supporting. Great stuff – I’d got into ‘classic’ Sabbath when I was in my early-mid teens, so never had the chance to see them before that.

Ozzy seems to have deteriorated over the years whenever I’ve seen him live though. 🙁 I don’t care how old a band are, as long as they put on a good show and seem to be enjoying it.

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Black Sabbath’ is closed to new replies.