Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)
  • Bizzare Motorway driving habits, is this YOU???
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OK, for a start, I’m not wound up about this, but I see it so often and it just confuses me. So I thought I’d ask. 🙂

And somebody who reads this ACTUALLY WILL HAVE DONE THIS, so, please, please, tell me why!

There’s 2:

1)
    I do a lot of miles on the M4. I stick at 65mph on motorways. I have my reasons for this, but there’s nowt wrong with it, and it’s just fast enough to not get caught up with the trucks. I spend most of my time in the inside lane though, as I should.
    Anyway, the scenario is this: Lightish traffic (As the M4 usually is) I’m in the inside lane, there’s a row of trucks in front of me, I check behind me. There’s the odd car, a long way back. I pull out, indicating, into a biiiiiiig gap. I stick to 65mph. Car in the middle lane catches me, slows, sits behind me. Nothing in the outside lane. Car varies between 1-10 car lengths behind me. I’m passing trucks. NOBODY IN THE OUTSIDE LANE. Still passing trucks. Car gets close. Car drops back. OUTSIDE LANE STILL EMPTY!
    As I start to pull in after the last truck the car behind accelerates like poo of a spade and just about clips my rear quarter as he comes flying past

WHY DID YOU NOT USE THE OUTSIDE LANE TO OVERTAKE ME WITH OUT SLOWING DOWN???? You could have pulled out 100, 200+ yards before you got to me….
    I just can’t understand it. There was loads of room to pass. I gave you a telegram I was pulling out, I didn’t slow you down, there was no need for it…. Bizzare

2) (This happened last night actually)
    I’m doing my 65mph, inside lane. Car comes up behind me, gets pretty close. Sits there. Then after a short while the III, II, I, boards come up for the junstion/slip road.
    Car behind (BMW last night as it happens) takes the slip road and accelerates HARD to pass me on the inside up the slip road, which is perfectly legal. BUT I can easily see there’s traffic waiting on the top of the slip and as soon as he’s 1 car length in front of me, he has to brake hard and stop. But he just HAD to pass me, Mr 65mph.
    What’s the point in that? Can you not see that you’ve just wasted a bootful of fuel and 1/4inch of brakepad for precisely ZILCH??

Please explain.

Signed
    Confused-Poddy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahhh, so it’s you Mr Annoying Middle Lane Driver.

To prove a point perhaps, that your slow?

Do you drive a beige coloured car?

Cougar

The first one, I can only assume is that you’re “passing trucks” with huge gaps between, and the driver behind feels you’re hogging the road. If that’s not the case, then what you’ve got there is a nob.

The second one sounds like a lack of forward planning. He’s probably on the phone.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can only assume is that you’re “passing trucks” with huge gaps between,

No. Not big enough to keep pulling into.
    I knew the first answer would be saying it was my fault for someone else’s lack of planning and vision.

If I was my 95mph (As I will be tonight, Ducati equipped….) I’d see car pulling out, check mirror, pull out, not even back off.

thepurist

MrsP gets wound up by #1 too – people who will roar up behind you in lane 2 & sit there completely ignoring lane 3 until you pull back in, then roar off to sit behind the next person they catch up. Odd.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahhh, so it’s you Mr Annoying Middle Lane Driver.

No, not usually, but I once did an experiment (To amuse myself) maybe I’ll tell you about this later…. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MrsP gets wound up by #1 too – people who will roar up behind you in lane 2 & sit there completely ignoring lane 3 until you pull back in, then roar off to sit behind the next person they catch up. Odd.

Yes. Thems the ones. Very well put. Glad someone else has noticed it. 🙂

Thinking about it, I’ve seen it happen in the inside lane as well, although nmot as often

chrissyboy
    Free Member

1st example is probably other drivers that can’t believe you’re going that slowly. Right until the point they check their speedo in shock then accelerate away…..

Right, the ones that really get my goat are the ones that accelerate just as I’m overtaking them. What’s that all about? Cruise control on at 82, (obviously) constant speed being maintained… Maybe they get upset about being overtaken by a Renault?

Cougar

I knew the first answer would be saying it was my fault for someone else’s lack of planning and vision.

That’s not actually what I said.

stumpy01

1) – yeah I get this a lot and can never understand it. I don’t know if they are not confident enough to venture into the ‘fast lane’ or what.

2) – I reckon this is because they have decided they WILL overtake you, even if it means for 30yds on a slip road before braking hard.

I will leave it there, otherwise I will spend the rest of the afternoon ranting about similar stupid behaviour.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

1st example is probably other drivers that can’t believe you’re going that slowly

🙂

I’m certainly not the slowest by any means. I see lots of cars doing less than me these days, with fuel the price it is it makes sense (This is my main reason for the 65mph TBH, 42mpg in a petrol Focus proves it)

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve been sat in the inside lane with the cruise control set to 70 when someone sits behind me for a mile or two, finally overtakes then SLOWS DOWN almost immediately to 65… Why?!

Harry_the_Spider

I just imagine what the guy would look like sat on the toilet… with several gunshot wounds.

imnotverygood

My wife does this. I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to why.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s not actually what I said

I never said you did say that. But you did try and blame me, yes? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My wife does this. I have never been able to get a satisfactory answer as to why.

Oh Oh! Ask again! Ask Again! 🙂

Cougar

the ones that really get my goat are the ones that accelerate just as I’m overtaking them.

You ever get the ones who want to drive in front of you, slower than you? You overtake them and they’ll boot it to either block you or overtake you, then once they’ve got to the front they’ll dribble along at 10mph below the speed limit? WTF?

Look, I don’t care, you want to be in front, fine; you want to drive slowly, fine; but for the love of gods, pick one or the other.

djglover
    Free Member

I just sit in the middle lane these days with the cruise at 68., I let those in a rush pass me by whatever means they see fit. Often including in the inside lane with flashing lights, or the bird, which is one of my favorites.

Chill

RealMan
    Free Member

I reckon this is because they have decided they WILL overtake you, even if it means for 30yds on a slip road before braking hard.

Same when you’re on a bike. Some car drivers just have to overtake you, no matter the situation, as you’re on a bike, and they’re in a car, and must be in front. I’ve had people try to overtake me like 20m from a red light, it’s ridiculous.

I just sit in the middle lane these days with the cruise at 68., I let those in a rush pass me by whatever means they see fit. Often including in the inside lane with flashing lights, or the bird, which is one of my favorites.

GrahamS

No. Not big enough to keep pulling into.

I think some people definition of “big enough” is considerably different.

I remember having a conversation on a “middle lane hogs” thread here about how big a gap should be to make it worth pulling in.

Opinion was wildly split: some felt I/you should always pull in immediately, even if you’d have to pull out again more or less immediately – I suspect these are the kind of people that get wound up.

Cougar

I never said you did say that. But you did try and blame me, yes?

*holds hand up* I thought I was the first, uh, replier? Replicant? Mea culpa.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I drive on motorways in a not-dissimilar fashion. Mostly I can’t be arsed with the stress of going faster* – I’m not convinced you get where you’re going significantly quicker (too much stopping and starting in concertina traffic). Driving fast on the motorway is not exactly exciting at any speed and it costs a lot more in fuel. As an aside I’m very tight on lane discipline – helps give me something to concentrate on.

In answer to your questions, I’m convinced it’s because people can’t think more than 1 move ahead. As cyclists we’re constantly trying to find the “flow” ™ and avoid loss of momentum, so we’re used to picking lines and planning several moves ahead, so we don’t end up looking like f’kwits when we’re driving either. I see it pedestrians too. They’ll get to a kerb, and they genuinely don’t know what to do. Their eyes are going everywhere, but they’re still unsure about what’s going on. They seem clinically incapable of turning their heads on their necks to get a better view and thus cross the road safely!

*this is not necessarily true for nice A- and B- roads 😉

GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bMLrA_0O5I[/video]

Cougar

I just sit in the middle lane these days with the cruise at 68

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069862

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

But you knew that, of course. You’re just special.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think some people definition of “big enough” is considerably different

Indeed it is. I asked on my IAM training, and the answer was that if you think you’re going to be pulling in for any less than 10-15 seconds, it’s not worth it. They need that long to overtake anyway, and there’s no point blocking yourself in when the outside lane is empty, or has space, is there?

My own theory is that people only look at what’s 20-30 yards ahead of them, and never sit there watching gaps 1/4 mile behind and 1/2 mile in front like I do….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

“I’m convinced it’s because people can’t think more than 1 move ahead”

This ^

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I drive in the fast lane at 95mph and flash all the plebs if they won’t get out of my way, don’t they know that I am a very important businessman of international business? 🙂

Cougar

I’m convinced it’s because people can’t think more than 1 move ahead.

I’m pretty sure you’re right. I dodge drivers and pedestrians on a daily basis who’ve only looked left before walking off a kerb, not looked until they’ve reached the kerb themselves despite pushing a buggy three feet into the road first, failed to give way (like the woman in the Merc this morning who thought that give-way lines don’t apply in ASDA car parks; she fair shit herself when she saw how close she came to getting T-boned, mind), or treat lane markings as white paint to make it look pretty.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jon, totally agreed mate, spot on IMO. To me it’s not just cycling though, I’ve been doing it in car (fnar fnar) for many years, and nearly as long on a motorbike. I’ve sort of developed a 6th sense for it.
    But anyone who’s been for a day with Jedi will know that basics of not looking 10 yards directly in front 🙂

stumpy01

Aaaarrrrgghhhhh! Can’t help myself.

What is with the latest thing of roaring down a slip road with an “I will merge regardless” attitude?? No looking over the shoulder or using their mirrors……..Gggaaaahhhhhh!!

I then pull out to let them in rather than have the side of my car stoved in and they either immediately try to undertake & nip in front or they pull alongside you and indicate to pull out. Aaarrrghhhh! I am going this speed as it is the speed i would like to travel at. You pretty much forced me to move into the middle lane. You now want me to either speed up/slow down/get out of your way again so you can proceed on your journey. Sorry sunshine it ain’t gonna happen, you should have gone around me, so I could have pulled back into the space I was in before you pushed me into the middle lane….

Gggaaaahhhhhhh!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I drive in the fast lane at 95mph and flash all the plebs if they won’t get out of my way, don’t they know that I am a very important businessman of international business?

Well, if you’re heading east on the M4 from Brizzle tonight, expect to be passed by a grey Duke with red wheels…… And I don’t mind which side I go round you on… 😈 😉

GrahamS

You pretty much forced me to move into the middle lane.

I always pull out into the middle lane when there are cars coming on from a slip road anyway. Just courtesy innit?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Stumpy +1.

You should spot a gap and adjust your speed to fit into it.

This reminds me, I was passing the Basingstoke junction on the M3 recently. A few cars pulled out, so I pulled into the middle lane for them. This knob in a van then tried to literally force me out into the outside lane, where I wasn’t going becasue there was fast traffic approaching. He went NUTS at me. He was giving me the finger, shouting etc. I’d given him one lane and he wanted another! He actually had his wheels over the white line. So I held my station and speed, let him pull out behind me and come past me in the outside lane (Inside lane was chokka, no pulling in or undertaking possible) then I admit to waving at him as he pulled alongside me (still effing and jeffing), dropping 2 gears and blowing him into the weeds. That did pee me off a tad, did that.

I always pull out into the middle lane when there are cars coming on from a slip road anyway. Just courtesy innit?

Very true. But some people, as above, want more….

Cougar

Depends. If there’s traffic behind you then by letting in one person you might be holding up a stream of others. If the road’s quiet then absolutely, if it’s busy then they should be filtering – you have right of way but of course there’s a large braking distance in front of you so this shouldn’t be an issue.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Pulling onto the M3 this very morning at Sunbury I was on the slip road with some guy an inch off my bumper as usual when a mini that was pulled over on the slip decided to start reversing back to the Sunbury roundabout. I had to pretty much stop as I couldn’t pull into the second lane of the slip as there were cars there. So the guy behind almost rear ends me, waits for a tiny gap to the right pulls out cutting someone right up gives me the bird and tanks off beeping his horn.

Now if I were to chase him down and use my tyre iron to crack his sodding cranium open the police would arrest me.

It’s not right I tells yer.

Cougar

…blowing him into the weeds.

I find with drivers like that, blowing them a kiss is highly effective. They go spare.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I find with drivers like that, blowing them a kiss is highly effective. They go spare.

My mum used to do that. I have tried it too, and yes, they go purple with rage!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

In answer to your questions, I’m convinced it’s because people can’t think more than 1 move ahead. As cyclists we’re constantly trying to find the “flow” ™ and avoid loss of momentum, so we’re used to picking lines and planning several moves ahead, so we don’t end up looking like f’kwits when we’re driving either

Absolutely agree. I use cruise control a lot. Most(?) people say you can’t use it on UK motorways as they’re too congested but thats the people who are continually having to brake in lane 3. Look far enough ahead and you can drive a long way at a constant speed even when its busy.

stumpy01

GrahamS – Member

Sometimes it’s not possible if there are cars overtaking at the time. I quite often have to slow down/speed up to let people join as they appear to have no idea they are about to drive into the side of me. Pretty sure the highway code says the traffic attempting to join should merge, not that the traffic on the carriageway should adjust speed/take action to avoid unobservant people joining from the slip road.

And if I am being 100% honest, if the person looks like he is going for the aggressive “Outta My Way” approach, rather than the nervous, dithery approach I tend to stick where I am out of principle. It really winds me up when people try to bully you on the road. Incorrect, probably, immature, almost certainly. But that’s how it is.

I always try to be courteous and expect the same in return; people who just bully their way around get on my tits.

PeterPoddy – Member

This reminds me, I was passing the Basingstoke junction on the M3 recently. A few cars pulled out, so I pulled into the middle lane for them. This knob in a van then tried to literally force me out into the outside lane, where I wasn’t going becasue there was fast traffic approaching. He went NUTS at me. He was giving me the finger, shouting etc. I’d given him one lane and he wanted another! So I held my station and speed, let him pull out behind me and come past me in the outside lane (Inside lane was chokka, no pulling in or undertaking possible) then I admit to waving at him as he pulled alongside me (still effing and jeffing), dropping 2 gears and blowing him into the weeds. That did pee me off a tad, did that.

Just no need for people to behave like this. But you get it a lot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t read the whole thread buit my first thought was “almost nobody has any idea about forward planning and antisipation”. That any everyone is out for themselves and assumes that everyone else who doesn’t bend to their will or desire is wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Bizzare Motorway driving habits, is this YOU???’ is closed to new replies.