Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Biking IOM during TT week – help?
  • scruzer
    Free Member

Having a week on IOM to watch the 2010 TT with family (in-laws). Not really my thing so wondering about biking opportunities while Im there. We are staying on the south west coast so i first need to decide if I should take mtb or road bike? How many of the roads are closed and what will the traffic situation be like for road riding? Anyone done either/both over there? Lots of info needed so thanks in advance

MartynS

I was working there during the tt week a few years ago, and I took the bike! Great riding on the island, the roads are only closed for a portion of the day. On ther south west coast you should be away from the worst of it. Contact Manx MTB for ideas1

ken_shields
    Free Member

I would stay very clear of any road cycling as there will be an awful lot of motorcycles riding at way over "normal" speeds out of towns about and you'll be a mobile chicane.

Personally I'd take the MTB or alternatively watch some of the racing. You'll be amazed at just how fast they go on a public road

Shred
    Free Member

There is nice riding down south for both the Road and MTB.

The roads down south aren't normally as busy as the mountain course, plus there are lots of off road tracks.
    Take both!!

robgarrioch

Got to be worth at least watching the big bikes race if you're there – lap record set last year at 131.578 mph, that's an AVERAGE speed round the 37.73 mile course. There must be a trail that goes to the top of Snaefell…

tinsy
    Free Member

Forget the road bike, the MTB will get you to some great vantage points, am fairly certain you will enjoy the racing as it is quite a spectacle..

robarnold
    Free Member

Hi Scruzer

Bring your MTB but forget your road bike, like those above have said, it's REALLY busy on the roads both during race days and for the whole fortnight…it's not worth it. There's tonnes of riding around, far too much to take in if you're only here for a few days. There are three club rides go out every week and numerous other groups of MTBers all over the place. In fact, getting to some places on the TT circuit by MTB is an awesome way to see the racing and get to fairly inaccessible spots, especially up the mountain.

I live in Port Erin (in the south-west corner) and there's riding from the back door, by all means drop me a line closer to the time and we'll arrange some rides out to show you the best bits: robinarnold69@hotmail.com or pop in to Eurocycles on Victoria Road, Douglas

See you in June!

Rob

scruzer
    Free Member

Useful advice so far cheers. I will have a day or watching the racing for sure

scruzer
    Free Member

Thats a good idea Rob(Rob Arnold rings a bell… Hope? once dh racer? Maybe not you but…). I have made a note of the shop. Cheers

nedrapier

getting to some places on the TT circuit by MTB is an awesome way to see the racing and get to fairly inaccessible spots, especially up the mountain.

Second that!

Went a couple of years ago with my bro and the mountain bikes. You can see lots more of the circuit too. You could watch the first couple of laps from Kirkmichael, say, then ride round and watch the leaders come through at Ballaugh Bridge, then ride up and watch from Sulby Inn or Ginger Hall.

Between races the marshalls can let you across the circuit and you can nip across the hills in the middle, down fictitious footpaths through gorse and across streams and pop out and watch the next race from somewhere else.

If you're walking or driving, you're pretty much stuck in one place for the day. Put a couple of beers in the bag for when you're away from a pub and you're all set!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Biking IOM during TT week – help?’ is closed to new replies.