• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Biking from Vancouver?
  • nicko74

I’m probably going to be in Vancouver for work in a couple of weeks, and am wondering about taking my bike over. Thing is, I won’t have a car, so my question is what biking is there within easy reach of the city?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nothing much

couple of small lumps out near the cove, not worth the effort

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

seriously though, you know it’s a 10 min ferry ride from possibly some of the best mountain biking in the world right?

there’s also some trails in the park (victoria park?) i think

rs
    Free Member

fromme or burnaby mountain are accessible from downtown by seabus/bus, they all have bike racks. Cypress or Seymour you will need to find people to shuttle with, try nsmb.

rs
    Free Member
    davy-g
    Free Member

I was over the a few years ago and the buses have bike racks on the front of them, perhaps you could catch a bus to Squamish or Whistler????

jedi

if i was you i’d be excited! 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Would be interested to know how you get on without a car. I’ll be off to Canada for a gap year (hopefully last that long!) and wasn’t going to stay in Vancouver because I thought I’d never get to go riding without a car!

nicko74

Well I live in Canada (other side from Vancouver), and managing OK without a car – just renting and zipcar and so on. Which gives me an idea – zipcar must have a base in Vancouver. Problem solved! Now I just need to work out where the trails are…

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s a train from Van to Whistler if you want to try that out. It’s long one but the ride must be great (the drive is beautiful)

rs
    Free Member

I just need to work out where the trails are…

Park around Dempsey and Mountain Highway, ride these trails http://www.gutsploder.net/maps/Fromme.htm

forgotmename
    Free Member

There was a guy out there who was doing shuttle runs to whistler and the north shore, i think it was called the Huck wagon, or something similar.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Huckwagon does not exist anymore though somebody else is trying to put a similar business in place.

The 210 bus goes from center of Downtown Vancouver all the way to the top of the [paved] Mountain Highway which is actually better than driving cos parking restrictions prevent you from parking as high up the bus goes. (The road is a bitch to climb on a heavy bike when you are starting off from cold).

The top of Mountain Highway gives you access to a myriad of trails on Mt Fromme but don’t get the impression that this is a shuttle mountain – you have to ride/push for about 45 minutes up the [dirt] Old Mountain Highway to get to the real goods…Ladies Only, Pipeline, Grannies, Espresso, Pink Starfish, Oil Can, Executioner, 7th Secret etc etc though there are some good trails lower down the mountain as well.

Bus costs $3.75 (or about two quid)

Oh yeah, Zip Cars and the CAN network exist in Vancouver (though CAN changed their name a while ago – I think they’re called Modo now…)

Whitish
    Free Member

I can’t possibly imagine going to BC WITHOUT a bike. I just can’t. Nope.

And I’m not even going to try.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Was there aug / Sept last year, there are regular coaches that go to whistler via squarmish. Not sure of the cost but shouldn’t be much as it’s only a 2 hour ride.

Check out here: –

Vacouver to Whister

jedi

whitish, hows tricks my man??

sorry for hijack

Whitish
    Free Member

Good mate, cheers. Northern rocks ride very nicely!

Things good for you?

(Sorry for continuing hijack.)

MrFarrellsSodasuite
    Free Member

Just on the off chance…

Anyone got room on a rack from Kits to the Shore on Saturday? I’ve tried the 210 on a weekend before. Never again.

jhw
    Free Member

I’d be really interested to know – is there world class riding within car-free distance from Vancouver which does not involve riding on wooden stuff? It would be a great way to spend this October but seesaw-loop-de-loop japery really isn’t my thing at all. Is there good big mountain stuff readily accessible from the city? Grouse Mountain etc.?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Biking from Vancouver?’ is closed to new replies.