• This topic has 46 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bonj.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • bikewash tokens?
  • bonj
    Free Member

When i last went to sherwood pines they were charging £2 each for bike wash tokens, bit of a rip off if you ask me especially since they were absolutely coining it in off it since it was very muddy (the bloke grinningly admitted this to me)

However looking at it, it looks exactly the same as a coed y brenin one.
    I wonder if it is possible to get a batch load of them off ebay?
    A quick search reveals not – but the company that makes bike washes, I wonder if you could blag them into selling you a load of spare tokens?

wwaswas

Theft by deception, then?

BoardinBob

So the shop has bought a bike wash machine, maintains it, repairs it when it breaks down and makes it available for public use for a small fee, and you want to dodge that fee?

bonj
    Free Member

well, not really. If I use one of my own tokens, they can still get it back and sell it on to somebody else.

So the shop has bought a bike wash machine, maintains it, repairs it when it breaks down and makes it available for public use for a small fee, and you want to dodge that fee?

Well, no I don’t want to dodge the fee entirely, I just think 2 quid is a bit steep. Didn’t even get long enough to get all the mud off.

sambob
    Free Member

Don’t be so tight, just cover it up when you put it in the car and wash it when you get home, or buy a Mobi/Dirtworker.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

pretty lame really. Sorry.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Genuinely LOL.

If I use one of my own tokens, they can still get it back and sell it on to somebody else.

Class.

bonj
    Free Member

Don’t be so tight, just cover it up when you put it in the car and wash it when you get home, or buy a Mobi/Dirtworker.

IN my car?! I don’t put it IN my car, daaahling, I’m not that much of a cheapskate that i can’t afford a bike rack. 🙄 😉

sc-xc

I agree mate. I noticed that they were selling the same type of bottled lager in my local pub that I could get for a fraction of the cost in the supermarket – right next door!

No brainer AFAIC, we put a few bottles in my wife’s handbag and leave some more in the garden.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Well, no I don’t want to dodge the fee entirely, I just think 2 quid is a bit steep.

OK, get some of your own tokens, wash your bike and then go and give the fella in the shop 50p and explain what you’ve done.

Post up the pics after he locks the doors and batters you with a set of bombers.

Are you going to get a load of fake quid coins made up for parking machines too as you don’t agree with the charges for parking at trail centres?

theflatboy
    Free Member

it’s fraud, whether they then get to keep the tokens or not.

edit – it might not be fraud, actually. my memory appears to be hazy on the topic. edit again, it is fraud through obtaining services dishonestly.

IA

I don’t get some people, ride a few K of bike, the begrudge £2 to clean it at a convient time and place.

bonj
    Free Member

Genuinely LOL.

If I use one of my own tokens, they can still get it back and sell it on to somebody else.
    Class.
    In fact going by that I’m actually giving them money ‘cos they’ve got a new token that they can sell on to somebody else, AND they’ve got more tokens in total than they did have before – which means they’re not going to have to replace them as soon which they must do from time to time anyway when they leak out of the system. Yes, I’m obviously morally right.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

In fact going by that I’m actually giving them money ‘cos they’ve got a new token that they can sell on to somebody else, AND they’ve got more tokens in total than they did have before – which means they’re not going to have to replace them as soon which they must do from time to time anyway when they leak out of the system. Yes, I’m obviously morally right.

STOP – I’m laughing so much it’s hurting!

Matt24k
    Free Member

If YOU think they are charging too much then don’t use THEIR bike wash. Trying to justify what is obtaining a service by deception is not going to win you many fans.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Section 11 replaces section 2 Theft Act 1978. It differs from that section in that it is not necessary for the service to be obtained as a result of false representation. The section covers cases where the services were obtained via the use of a machine. So, for example, obtaining a parking space in a pay-on-entry car park by putting a foreign coin in the slot, or using an unauthorised credit card to purchase train tickets from an automated ticket vending machine, are examples of a section 11 offence.

The offence is punishable with a maximum five years’ imprisonment on conviction on indictment and twelve months’ imprisonment on summary conviction.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Five years seems a bit harsh. Maybe community service washing muddy MTB’s with bucket and sponge would be better for the rehabilation of the OP 🙂

bonj
    Free Member

So if I write on the token “this token was not obtained from xxx shop” then I am not falsely claiming that I did buy the token from the shop, and thus not breaking the law?

(oh and contrary to seemingly the general aim of forums i am not out to “win fans”)

TooTall
    Free Member

Not out to win fans.

Or ‘trolling’ as it is often called.

theflatboy
    Free Member

no, the bit above was added for exactly the sort of situation you’re talking about. you are breaking the law by putting the token in the machine and getting the service without correctly paying for it.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i just bought some mince pies with a fake fiver. I did write fake very small near the £5 in the corner.

it’s the checkout girl in sainsburys fault really.

anyway if the shop gives it out as change then they don’t have it and someone else loses out. ergo; not stealing.

petefromearth

“I’m actually giving them money ‘cos they’ve got a new token that they can sell on to somebody else”

Think about it. Tokens are not money. They don’t benefit from your token unless more people pay real cash to wash their bike.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Have you got some kind of stupidity tourettes? Why would you post something like this on public forum. The fact that you seem to have justified this to yourself as acceptable and reasonable is the most worrying part.

What you are saying is ‘I want it, but I dont like what it costs’ so I have just decided to take it instead because I am entitled to it’

Think – if someone did this to you would you like it? They provide a service, what do you do? Turn up and just take, and you want to be a freeloader at that.

What a pathetic blonker you are Rodney.

fatboyjon

This is a wind up because no-one is really this stupid unless you’re a regular star of America’s Dumbest Of The Dumb on the Moron Channel. I guess as it’s the first day of the school holidays you must already be so bored you’re trying to wind up strangers on the interweb.

Or, if my some very small chance, you actually mean anything you’ve written, you really should go and have a long lie down in the dark.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Words……..fail……..me.

gsp1984
    Free Member

They were only charging £1 when they first installed it.

wwaswas

They were only charging £1 when they first installed it.

You should have stocked up on tokens before the price rise 😉

sugdenr
    Free Member

Or, if my some very small chance, you actually mean anything you’ve written, you really should go and have a long lie down in the dark[u]on a busy road[/u].

matt_outandabout

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

It’s a wind up. And I thought a pretty funny one. Not his first either.

Good work fella 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/front-mech-tensioning-device

gsp1984
    Free Member

You should have stocked up on tokens before the price rise

I’ve never used it, just recall the price.

I have a jet wash in my boot… actually that’s a lie, although someone I often ride with does.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Business In Trying To Make Money Shocker.
    Maybe they worked out that they were not getting a return on their investment.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I’m actually giving them money ‘cos they’ve got a new token that they can sell on to somebody else

😯

You understand how it works right?

morgs
    Free Member

cost of taken (pence I’m guessing) vs cost of water, upkeep of machine etc…..

seems fair.

🙄

99percentchimp
    Free Member

I live pretty close to CyB.. I could pop in and get you some tokens and drive over to Sherwood Pines to deliver them to you… what time would you like me there?

MarkN
    Free Member

+1 If you do not like it then do not pay it. Put the shoe on the other foot and then think about it. You would not be pleased if someone stole from you.

From the bikes point of view It would appreciate not being jet washed down I reckon. The bearings seal will keep most out but not a hope at 60 PSI.

Dirtworker/Mobi washer or just a bucket and brush.

specialknees
    Free Member

Bonj.

Go on…you can tell us…you’re Norman Lamont really aren’t you?

specialknees
    Free Member

Sorry,
    Couldnt resist the Lamont gag..
    You really didnt expect the STW massive not to take the moral High ground did you?

As far as Im concerned, GO FOR IT. Then again Im the only person on here ever to have dodged a train fare or Knocked into the Shove penny machine at the fairground?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Trolling of the highest order……chapeau indeed young man.

crofts2007
    Free Member

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

Well, no I don’t want to dodge the fee entirely, I just think 2 quid is a bit steep.

OK, get some of your own tokens, wash your bike and then go and give the fella in the shop 50p and explain what you’ve done.

Post up the pics after he locks the doors and batters you with a set of bombers.

Are you going to get a load of fake quid coins made up for parking machines too as you don’t agree with the charges for parking at trail centres?

I may fancy your chances against the shop staff, but if the mechanic got involved there could/would be pain for a long while!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘bikewash tokens?’ is closed to new replies.