Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bikeshop in manchester recommendations?
  • Garry_Lager

What’s a good bikeshop in South Manchester, with an emphasis on the workshop? Looking for somewhere you’d go for a wheelbuild or a fork-fitting etc., rather than to look at bikes.

There’s one nearish me called Wills Wheels in Heaton Chapel – recommended?

BadlyWiredDog

If you venture into the centre at all, maybe during the day, Keep Pedalling – new shop in the Northern Quarter is great. Rich is a top mechanic and Shona has the best biking dreads in Manchester 🙂

http://www.keeppedalling.co.uk

crikey
    Free Member

Wills wheels is good, road orientated, try North West Mountain Bikes for a touch of the mtb/downhill Steve Peat mechanic thing.

MrSparkle

Not South Manc but Cooksons in Whitefield is good.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Fosters in chorlton….good lads who race, been there years. Cooksons good also. NWMBC v good also IMO.

binners

I’ve had a few wheels built by Ken Fosters in Chorlton. They do a bloody good job. For suspension related gubbins I’d say North West Mountain Bike Centre in Cheadle is your best bet

nbt

Wills is predominantly road-based but has a very good rep for wheels, as may be inferred. NWMTB in cheadle have a large workshop and a few of the staff travel with the World Cup DH circuss spannering for Steve Peat et al – but there can be a long waiting list. If you go there, Ben is my preferred mechanic, but that’s not to say the others are no good.

Jon @ Bicycle Smithy in Hazel Grove is worth considering, he’s sorted a couple of issues I’ve had with little bother.

milkyman
    Free Member

cooksons in whitefield, not really cit cntr, but very good
    cant do enough to help, and shaun the gaffer, top fella

Duggan

Withington Cycles on Burton Road in Withington seem to do a lot of the repair and maintenance side of things. Not sure how they compare to other shops but they seem like a sound bunch whenever I’ve been in.

Garry_Lager

Thanks all – loads of places to try there.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Wills wheels once told me they don’t do disk breaks!!!

+1 for Crikey

RustySpanner

Cooksons are genuinely excellent.

Not tried any of the others mentioned, but Harry Halls in the town centre, Evans on Deansgate and Edinburgh Bike Coop in Rusholme have all been very good.

Have not had such good experiences with the Bicycle Doctor on Dickinson Road.

justatheory
    Free Member

+1 for Ken Fosters.

The old guy in Withington Cycles has been there for 25+ years (I remember him when I was a nipper), so you’d think he’d be good!

Bike Doctor often refuse to work on bikes not purchased from them.

Harry Hall, depends how drunk the mechanic happens to be that day.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bikeshop in manchester recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.